Hardware Cfw--installing over 300 titles

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so looks like I'll have to do some digging around. It may be easier for me to just keep the two SD cards, but I'll just use the test system to get this running. At that point if I can partition the card out into segments then cool. I could probably self partition and just copy the SD card directly without format so long as i can choose which virtual card to run. Loads of options but seeing the brick possibility and such I'm willing to test it on my parts system.

Does your 256GB MicroSD card work?

Yes. If you just format you MAY get a normal functional card. Else I had a thread that I figured out why it wouldn't hold themes and corrupted the data. First and foremost have to format it in partitions. Format to fat32, 64 cluster and use mini tool or something (Aomei and mini tool both did the job on several test cards) and ensure to partition it with unallocated space. So partition at 64gb. Put it in the system. See if themes load, turn off the system, and back on. If themes saved and you're able to use it normally you're good to up the partition a little, say 10-25 gb at a time, pop it in and see if you get the theme not saving upon reboot issue. I ended up getting over a 128 and just extended the partition into the unallocated portion full steam and it's fine. Just originally it had major problems. Do NOT play smash, Pokemon world, or lbx until you've finished formatting. At this point just delete everything from the card (don't reformat) and copy everything from the old card to the new.

------------------------

So right now injecting fbi seems to be my option as noone has an idea of how to create multiple emunands on the newest firmware in order to create partitions of virtual SD cards that I can boot in whatever order upon start up, just some general ideas. I don't know what big red is or any of this other stuff so I'll be doing a lot of research, however it seems to me it may be better just to keep doing what I'm doing and use multiple SD cards. Hopefully something will come up as I'd prefer to have the ability to boot a specific sector of the SD and that will have the dbs and titles on them, so whatever I save will just look to the system as a regular 32tb just partitioned out to where I can load. Sucks that newer firmware dropped the ball on being able to do this easily. Idk what the Samus edition actually is but from my understanding you could simply update to the new firmware and you were good. Perhaps I'll investigate this on some time off and see on the test system if it works, as I don't want to spend a day copy pasting all of that data to the PC just to find out it bricks my system, or simple doesn't work.

Person from gamefaqs was adamant that this was all possible, however looking at what cfw does, unless you're torrenting send pirating everything and not a legitimate owner of the entire digital catalog, there isn't much use to the credit past backing up saves and such. I'll look around and see if this is even useful to attempt as I figured setting up multiple emunands (saw this all over the place so figured it was an easy thing) but not on current firmware, and being told I can just update and all would be well seems artifice. Ahh, all that time spent figuring out why and how to get that 256 to work lol.

Reactions: wicksand420

VzUh

you are now reading my custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
i've looked and seems like you can create an emunand from godmode9, but i have no idea of how to make more than one in the same card. if that give's you a start point, great, but you may want to know that with the emunand profits came the inconvenients, i don't remmember so good but you should search about unlinking nands, and iifc the gba/dsiware titles must be installed on both nands to work

sorry for not being more useful, it's been a lot of time and lately i'm at lot of things

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still say your best bet is just keeping a few sd's and switching them, like for instance, if you have a bunch of gba injects, you can do it like i did and just have a separate sd for just gba injects, and a different one for all your 3ds games

Reactions: Inhuman-Art

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will this work on the newest firmware?

I'm with the above comment of just sticking to swapping cards. Hasn't been a hassle past I've not organized anything lol. I can get a few 32s or 16s and put everything on them. I was hoping to split partition but that link seems to have compatibility issues with the newest firmware, no?

Main thing is this all seems to rely on gateway, and from prior posts and research it will possibly brick the newest firmware.

Curious, I was told on any cfw you can simply update to the newest legit firmware. Is this true? And they had also stated there are "no ban waves" so it's 100% safe. I'm not seeing a lot of truth to anything or any real reason to hack less you want to pirate. I own everything, so I don't really have a reason at this point past some features such as backups, etc .Offline database

Last edited by Inhuman-Art,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try my gm9 script Switch_Nin3DS_folders and @8BitWonder's gm9 script Swap Nintendo 3DS Folder. Look at my signature/post.

It doesn't install over 300 titles on a single folder. The solution is to have multiple Nintendo 3DS folders on a single SD card. (This is the inverse of the multiple SD cards solution where each card has a single Nintendo 3DS folder).

* This idea was thought up and implemented on Mon Jan-29, 2018 for exactly this type of situation. No need run on emuNANDs and eat up GB's doing so!

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you guys do realize than an sd card large enough to fit this many game will cause the home menu to move at a crawl, don't you? there's a reason Nintendo suggests 32GBs or less.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you guys do realize than an sd card large enough to fit this many game will cause the home menu to move at a crawl, don't you? there's a reason Nintendo suggests 32GBs or less.

Well, Nintendy says we shouldn't hack our 3DS systems, so to them, deez nutz.

The funny thing is, I along with other 128 GB and above users DID notice this lag. The speed issue mostly goes away when doing a data backup, fresh FAT32 and 64 KB cluster size reformat, and then recopy everything back over.

You can check my write up in the signature and others:
Before you or anyone else mentions how 64 KB is incompatible with the 3DS on several fronts, especially noticeable for the AGB_FIRM GBA Virtual Console wrapping graphical glitch: I have not been able to recreate it. Also, of those homebrew and games tested on 64 KB, the only one that broke (so far) was Anemone3DS, which has been fixed from some strange theme ext data hangup (you can read how that was fixed in my other signature link, this problem also appears in 32 KB).

I'm currently in the middle of my research to determine if I can recreate that AGB_FIRM glitch. My current suspect is this: MiniTool Partition Wizard, changing the allocation size from 32 KB to 64 KB without copying data off the card and moving it a back on (not a proper reformat). Testing is underway once I can manage to obtain a working version of that program.

Edit - I'm also in the midst of testing nds-bootstrap on 64 KB, even though the authors of those related apps explicitly state not to use anything but 32 KB. Results are promising but not conclusive, although nds-bootstrap is in itself buggy, so figuring if the problem stems from 64 KB only or also appearing on 32 KB for certain games have been a hassle doing back-to-back comparisons.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know a way, Its not awesome, but it works, Put the required files to boot on a different sd card, then install the other titles to it, all you have to do is switch your sd's and its like a different system, you can even install different themes to each sd, but for n3ds users, its not so easy, Eh?
This is exactly what OP already does at the moment and, honestly, anyone can come up with this. It's just a second SD.

Reactions: wormdood

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will this work on the newest firmware?
yup
Curious, I was told on any cfw you can simply update to the newest legit firmware. Is this true?
thats any modern cfw (gateway is dated)

And they had also stated there are "no ban waves" so it's 100% safe.
ask what tomorrows winning lotto numbers are as well

I'm not seeing a lot of truth to anything or any real reason to hack less you want to pirate. I own everything, so I don't really have a reason at this point past some features such as backups, etc .Offline database
not telling you what to do . . . and yeah piracy is a big reason . . . personally i like 3d movies and being able to force my pokemon to be shiny

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Formatting as the other poster stated works. Mind you I've never had the home menu crawl on any regular fat 32 128, loaded with the limit of games. The 256 seems to be a finicky beast of which is causes errors unless properly formatted, copy, boot, delete, recopy. I have a post somewhere on here testing these, but the home menu works just fine as if it were a 2gb that was empty.

Anyway, there is someone here that TPC posted that is very useable. I'll go with this as it makes the most sense, essentially multiple boot partitions on the same os, so we have a way to hit bootable folders lol. Good enuff, thanks!!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

yup
thats any modern cfw (gateway is dated)

ask what tomorrows winning lotto numbers are as well

not telling you what to do . . . and yeah piracy is a big reason . . . personally i like 3d movies and being able to force my pokemon to be shiny

This was just information I was given an all proved to be false. Had I not had an investment prior to finding out they have many cracks for the 3ds I'd be in the same boat as I was with the psp and DS: cfw and r4i. I just...already own everything I want. So for me it's useless past a backup, and most of the backups are not always tied to just that SD, a lot of games I've found use system nand, therefore backups will delete over and over. It's problematic. Had I gone physical id have traded this in. Making facetious comments about the lottery isn't needed.

It's well documented on this site especially that tends to focus on hacks that worry about ban waves, and even conversation of running out of private seeds. I for one don't care enough at the moment to have ban problems. I do however intend to hack the shit out of this thing and bring in all of my DS roms, as I'm not paying for collectors items, but I want it to play aliens from the ds, among other actually awesome games

End of the day I'm not giving shit over piracy, I'm just saying it's a small reason I want to have cfw. I just want all my games on one card. DS games can go on the 32gb, so I'll not be the squeaky clean person that looses their shit over piracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Inhuman-Art, have you checked out my mixtape used my gm9 script? You can install 300 + 300 = 600 titles with it.*
Technically you only get 576 because of the 12 that are already on HOME Menu.

Look for the Switch_Nin3DS_folders attached file: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-godmode9-scripts-megathread.482150/page-5#post-7809897

If you want to know how the concept works installing more than 300 titles on a single SD card, check out the post here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-godmode9-scripts-megathread.482150/page-5#post-7809239

If you need more than 600 titles, @8BitWonder made a similar gm9 script that can swap more folders.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-godmode9-scripts-megathread.482150/

Reactions: Inhuman-Art

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was just information I was given an all proved to be false. Had I not had an investment prior to finding out they have many cracks for the 3ds I'd be in the same boat as I was with the psp and DS: cfw and r4i. I just...already own everything I want. So for me it's useless past a backup, and most of the backups are not always tied to just that SD, a lot of games I've found use system nand, therefore backups will delete over and over. It's problematic. Had I gone physical id have traded this in.
i have no idea what you mean . . . dsiware are the only games that install to nand . . . and nothing about them or cfw causes backups to delete over and over . . .
Making facetious comments about the lottery isn't needed.
it is when it shows how ludicrous the statement that everything is 100% safe is. . . when hacking any console you run the risk of being banned from their online services
End of the day I'm not giving shit over piracy, I'm just saying it's a small reason I want to have cfw. I just want all my games on one card. DS games can go on the 32gb, so I'll not be the squeaky clean person that looses their shit over piracy
you said it like cfw is only useful if you pirate and i was just noting how untrue that is(/can be)

Last edited by wormdood,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't you just use FBI? It feels a bit like the R4 flashcards so maybe they were talking about that. idk
Yes, you can use FBI to launch games if you have more than 300 titles, but the complaints are the missing icons on the HOME Menu and crappy, non-intutitive way to navigate your library (you're stuck with A-Z alphabetical order).

Reactions: Jacklack3

JiveTheTurkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One way you could look at going over this limit is by using a new emulator and can store more of your nes titles in there as per instead of vc's. same for gb, gba, snes. But thats about it at this time
I enjoy using the emulators for nes,snes instead of the actual title games because I can change the pixel ratio and volume, the only two functions I enjoy about emulating. :)

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have no idea what you mean . . . dsiware are the only games that install to nand . . . and nothing about them or cfw causes backups to delete over and over . . .
it is when it shows how ludicrous the statement that everything is 100% safe is. . . when hacking any console you run the risk of being banned from their online services
you said it like cfw is only useful if you pirate and i was just noting how untrue that is(/can be)
Ahh, I think you've misunderstood my comment. Id merely meant that for me, it would only be useful for piracy as I don't intend on playing around with customs and other things such as some titles you can play on cfw (sort of how colors! From collecting smiles came to be)

I can see your point on it not being 100% safe, as that would be naive, I was just making a statement that what I was told were untruths and a lot untested and still being worked around. They had claimed Nintendo doesn't ban, period. I, having known nothing of cfw for this console found it comical after reading that they stood by that statement. It didn't take much research that there have been ban hammers going around.

Oh and it was a problem I'd discovered with nand memory on smash Bros, Pokemon rumble world, and lbx. Let's say you've been playing smash for awhile and your card takes a dump but only yesterday, or even moments ago you backed those game saves up, data, everything. Soon as you play it on the older device the data will either corrupt or delete. If you try to play a backup in general it will corrupt. It was quite a surprise, but there is a post I'd made where I had tested many 256gb cards and another user was helping me test and found out how to reverse it, just, you need cfw so it's sort of null as it's an easy fix. Rumble world is the only one I've found unstable in recovery, and lbx just promptly deletes the data without any input just before the load screen, so I'm unsure how to recover the save as it just deletes it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@Inhuman-Art, have you checked out my mixtape used my gm9 script? You can install 300 + 300 = 600 titles with it.*
Technically you only get 576 because of the 12 that are already on HOME Menu.

Look for the Switch_Nin3DS_folders attached file: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-godmode9-scripts-megathread.482150/page-5#post-7809897

If you want to know how the concept works installing more than 300 titles on a single SD card, check out the post here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-godmode9-scripts-megathread.482150/page-5#post-7809239

If you need more than 600 titles, @8BitWonder made a similar gm9 script that can swap more folders.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-godmode9-scripts-megathread.482150/
I'm actually bookmarking this to try just this on my test system. It looks exactly like what I need. Injecting fbi would be fine (and has proven okay but I've had some home menu issues as you've described) however I'm quite interested in trying this as the reason I went to cfw. It would combine my two cards and I won't have 600, there would need to be another 189 games to come out after checking my counts, that's including folders and Badges I'd placed. I'd rather play with th emulators and r4 card than buy another 189 titles, I just wanted to cram em on one card. So thanks! This looks perfect, excited to test!

D

Deleted User

One pirate does not need so many games on one device. I wouldn't be surprised you downloaded ALL of the pokemon games. (X,Y OR, AS, Sun, and moon + ultra)

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seem to recall the 300 titles meant 150 games where the other 150 titles are for the home menu icons. I must be remembering wrong because that sounds weird as hell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I kept thinking jaws was gonna come up and attack
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Jaws is on a diet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn power went out
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok xdqwerty, your little bro prob tripped On the cord and unplugged you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ya I'm afraid of the dark hug me
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Grab and hold close your AncientBoi doll.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn didn't charge my external battery either
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Take the batteries out of your SuperStabber3000... Or is it gas powered?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I stole batteries from your black mamba
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My frozen food better hold up for an hour I know that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or else gonna be a big lunch and dinner tomorrow.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you pay your power bill? Or give all yo money to my wife, again.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good the estimated time is the same exact time they just said
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Load up your pc and monitor, and head to a McDonalds dining room, they have free WiFi
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sir please watch your porn in the bathroom
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No sir we can not sell you anymore apple pies, after what you did with the last one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We ran out
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    for your life
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My life has no value my fat ass is staying right here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: