Gaming BOTW withdrawal symptoms

aofelix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So i completed BOTW a couple of months ago but I have the longing for a game which has the tranquility yet excitement of exploration like BOTW.

Its the first game where i remember in the first few hours even just learning i can cut down a freaking tree, and pick up the apples, cook them etc. was.... well enjoyable? whilst riding my horse aimlessly trying to explore, finding caves, throwing bombs in places to uncover secrets etc.

Do any other games match up to this?

I've played games from bethesda like fall out 3 and they COMPLETELY lack any charm unlike BOTW. BOTW's world felt... right. It felt beautiful. the OST was amazing, the sound effects convincing... im struggling to find games which match it ?

owek1

Master Sword Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
since release, I've finished the game more than 3 times. I absolutely love it and like you, I also want a game that would be almost the same level as BOTW. I struggle to finish any other game but I was inlove with BOTW.

blackwhitexy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Yeah, it's hard to go back to other games after BOTW. I can only imagine where they can take it from here.

I hope they release BOTW 2 on the Switch with the same engine, but with more enemies and even more things to do in a brand new world and story.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I found it hard to care about BOTW having played many a game like it from the original xbox through the 360 era and PC from similar timeframe. BOTW did nothing special compared to most of those, and would have been a decent effort from a mid tier dev (which is more than I expected from the earlier footage of the game) from those machines mentioned (give or take the original xbox, PC games of the time already had worlds of similar scope).

I can agree most Bethesda open world games suffered a bit from the grim und gritty virus and if you don't care for that then you won't get far, a pity as many of the not so open world games from Bethesda the publisher do OK here.

Poke around some of the European developers (typically the German ones that put out things like Venetica and Risen and but there are others -- as well as grim and und gritty it seems many a US/Canada based dev wants to make dungeons and dragons into a computer game, such a thing is less a thing in Europe), or Japanese ones aping European devs (Dragon's Dogma being a start but not the only one).
I would also suggest some of the more free form dungeon crawlers, something like the earlier dungeon siege games, earlier Sacred games and maybe things like Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance (as opposed to the more conversation focused Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and such games, though they also might appeal for slightly different reasons).
I am not a fan myself but the Fable series might do well for you.

You could also come the other way and do space sims. They are all about exploration, and allow you to mix quests, trading, mining/exploration, combat and messing with physics.

Possible option 2. "Life sims". http://www.academagia.com/ being a personal favourite. There is no open world to explore but you can do what you like (some of the "missions" then having more structure outside of something like King's Quest and similar episodic games) and learn lots about the world it is set in, when playing it I get something of the same mindset as an open world game that focuses on exploration and its universe while also being free to do nothing much.

Reactions: whateverg1012

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I felt the same--I devoted over 200 hours to BotW and it was like my video game life changed. I felt like, "Why was this not a thing sooner! Ninty, you bastards, you could have saved Wii U, had more time to develop Switch, make BotW Deluxe, etc." Everything happens for a reason...I guess this led to the "horrible oversight" to hacking Switch; the Goddess, she takes and she gives.

Aaaaanyway, try BotW de-make, older games you've never (?) played (Tengai Makyou (GBA-Oriental Blue) (SNES T.M. Zero/Cipher) Breath of Fire III, Shin Megami titles (the play style varies, so delve with your own sense of exploration)); at the very end, if you find nothing, go outside and have your own adventure. I've been taking night walks with a big stick to see if I get the chance to Flurry Attack something.

-----

R.I.P. H1B1Esquire--he got a Game Over in real life fighting a bear and didn't have any food or potions.

Last edited by H1B1Esquire,

softwareengineer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please don't hate me for this OP... I've been saving BOTW and not played it out yet, because I've been saving it for a rainy day and not wanting to go through the withdrawl you have experienced just yet lol. And actually I think I'll mod in the master cycle and have it at the start, because once I complete it, it'll be useless as I wont want to play it anymore so I won't even get to use it. So by having it from the start I actually will be able to :D

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please don't hate me for this OP... I've been saving BOTW and not played it out yet, because I've been saving it for a rainy day and not wanting to go through the withdrawl you have experienced just yet lol. And actually I think I'll mod in the master cycle and have it at the start, because once I complete it, it'll be useless as I wont want to play it anymore so I won't even get to use it. So by having it from the start I actually will be able to :D

once you play it its hard to put down

Reactions: softwareengineer

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So i completed BOTW a couple of months ago but I have the longing for a game which has the tranquility yet excitement of exploration like BOTW.

Its the first game where i remember in the first few hours even just learning i can cut down a freaking tree, and pick up the apples, cook them etc. was.... well enjoyable? whilst riding my horse aimlessly trying to explore, finding caves, throwing bombs in places to uncover secrets etc.

Do any other games match up to this?

I've played games from bethesda like fall out 3 and they COMPLETELY lack any charm unlike BOTW. BOTW's world felt... right. It felt beautiful. the OST was amazing, the sound effects convincing... im struggling to find games which match it ?
You find that fallout lacks any charm but prefer an empty world above a crowded world. Weird taste if you tell me. There are plenty open world games that have the same charm while being more crowded. Kingdom come and deliverance, fallout, horizon zero dawn, the witcher 3, westerado, mount and blade, monster hunter, xenoblade, dragon age, Shenmue 1,2, Yakuza etc …...

Last edited by kumikochan,

bjaxx87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, I liked Fallout 3 but the only other open world game series that ever captivated me as much as BOTW was Gothic. It's the series that inspired the team behind Witcher (here's an interesting read about that) and I rarely experienced other games letting me forget what time it is and being surprised by the sun rising. :) Even today the modding community is still very active and keeps shoving out huge mods with full voice acting and great stories and quests.

Just make sure to use the latest community patches... Especially Gothic 3 was really buggy when it was released due to the publisher pushing for an early release.

Oh..., and don't play Arcania Gothic IV. It's from different developers and completely lacks what made the original trilogy great. There's a nice collection on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/sub/6375

Anthony D'Amico

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I had the same problem when i finished BOTW, but then i discovered witcher 3 and dropped 70hrs of my life into it.
I suggest you start there

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same problem when i finished BOTW, but then i discovered witcher 3 and dropped 70hrs of my life into it.
I suggest you start there

after botw i went into final fantasy 15 and dropped 120+hrs and it was a complete waste. i 100% the main game as a fan service because i been waiting for versus13 since they first showed it, and now i dont trust anything Final Fantasy anymore, even though i didnt enjoy ff10-2, ff13+sequels, ff agito, world of ff, i waited for ff15 actually thinking it was gonna be good LOL. Now i been thirsting to revisit ff8+9, games i know i love. but i bought ff8 for steam and its garbage without mods, its literally worse than the ps1 version without mods

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently play Horizon Zero Dawn and even though the mechanics, especially the climbing, are sometimes pretty clunky like in Uncharted games, it has a very interesting story.
While BOTW has a set of very well fleshed out mechanics, it lacks a lot in its story and Horizon Zero Dawn does that a lot better imo.
You can also explore a huge map and collect different materials, extend your skillset and do a lot of sidequests.

Last edited by Wuigi,

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently play Horizon Zero Dawn and even though the mechanics, especially the climbing, are sometimes pretty clunky like in Uncharted games, it has a very interesting story.
While BOTW has a set of very well fleshed out mechanics, it lacks a lot in its story and Horizon Zero Dawn does that a lot better imo.
You can also explore a huge map and collect different materials, extend your skillset and do a lot of sidequests.

i watched the teaser preview for it before the released and i knew the ending before it was revealed. iit was a dead giveaway for me with the main characters name... i ve seen too many movies

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
i watched the teaser preview for it before the released and i knew the ending before it was revealed. iit was a dead giveaway for me with the main characters name... i ve seen too many movies
But you also knew the ending of BOTW by just knowing it is a Zelda game or did you not ?

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But you also knew the ending of BOTW by just knowing it is a Zelda game or did you not ?

lol, nintendo kept zelda a complete mystery, and they did a helluva job, and the community was great too, didnt reveal many spoilers or anything for the first months. the botw community was incredible, literally everything said was kept vague until people played it.

but everyone kows lik saves zelda at end

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
lol, nintendo kept zelda a complete mystery, and they did a helluva job, and the community was great too, didnt reveal many spoilers or anything for the first months. the botw community was incredible, literally everything said was kept vague until people played it.

ut everyone kows lik saves zelda at the end, but with hzd its obvious shes an android immediate because her name is ALLOY
Zelda has literally the same ending over and over. So i don't get why you're complaining about hzd. Not that i am bitching about botw but i just don't get the point ur making about an ending while every new zelda game you get is you progress towards ganon, defeat him and save Zelda and Hyrule. You know who the characters are and what is gonna happen so it is entirely the same

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...