puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hell0 tempers & temperesses,
Does anyone know of a permanent method to completely block windows updates?
I tried in multiple ways like blocking M$ servers (caused more issues..), blocking with a cmd/powershell, ..but in the end, they always seem to get pass through it..once in a while, i power-up my laptop and notice an update has been installed and some settings are then back to normal..

Any tricks?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blocking updates entirely is not recommended. If you want to defer updates for a little while so you can wait until the updates have been more vetted before you get them, you can defer updates for up to 35 days in the Windows Update settings.

Reactions: puss2puss

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blocking updates entirely is not recommended. If you want to defer updates for a little while so you can wait until the updates have been more vetted before you get them, you can defer updates for up to 35 days in the Windows Update settings.

Well, after seeing updates that broken game performance, I kinda didn't want to update at all, to be honest.

https://www.pcinvasion.com/microsoft-windows-10-update-gaming-performance-issues/#:~:text=Another Windows 10 update, another,of Death (BSoD) crashes.

Maybe if Microsoft actually QA tested their updates thoroughly, I wouldn't be on the fence about updating. Not to mention, the whole forced features such as the weather widget, and other unwanted changes, not too enthused about updates. If it ain't broke, don't fix it *shrug*

Like, I've also seen updates break Steam to where it caused the default download folder to be temporarily inoperative, and I had to repair the download folder, clear game cache and log in again. That can't be normal.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Blocking updates entirely is not recommended.
Hi!
it depends on what you do and what you have in your machine :ph34r:
From what i experienced over the years, i always had more issues with their updates then when i dont update.

Some of their updates breaks performance and compatibility, some have issues like deleting all the mp3 in your pc (anyone remember that freaking update? that was hell..lots of users got their mp3 deleted by a 'broken' update), maybe sometime you even get some folders and files deleted by them and you dont notice (thus why i dont name my folders with keywords like 'hack' ..paranoia kickin! in.. ..)

Do you have Windows 10 Pro? If so, you can edit the group policy

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-...ws-10#disable_automatic_windows_update_gpedit

That's what I did, screw forced broken updates

Edit: Be warned, do this at your own risk
Hi!
helllll i was sure that i already done that before in the registry.. maybe something changed or i didnt do it right the last time, i will do it again for sure!
Thanks, ahve a good one :moogle:

souhukyafod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
yeah, it's called Linux Mint. Install it, you won't regret it.
If you want to keep playing vidya, you either double boot or virtualise (VM) a pirated copy of Win7, which works just fine for all games. archive org has ISO's if you know how to find them.

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you want to keep playing vidya, you either double boot or virtualise (VM) a pirated copy of Win7, which works just fine for all games. archive org has ISO's if you know how to find them.
Gotta love when pretentious Linux users give a non-answer like that.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can try going to a LTSB build if you really hate update, or use an outdated windows 10 version like 1909 so you don't get update but it is not recommended.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, after seeing updates that broken game performance, I kinda didn't want to update at all, to be honest.

https://www.pcinvasion.com/microsoft-windows-10-update-gaming-performance-issues/#:~:text=Another Windows 10 update, another,of Death (BSoD) crashes.

Maybe if Microsoft actually QA tested their updates thoroughly, I wouldn't be on the fence about updating. Not to mention, the whole forced features such as the weather widget, and other unwanted changes, not too enthused about updates. If it ain't broke, don't fix it *shrug*

Like, I've also seen updates break Steam to where it caused the default download folder to be temporarily inoperative, and I had to repair the download folder, clear game cache and log in again. That can't be normal.
Hi!
it depends on what you do and what you have in your machine :ph34r:
From what i experienced over the years, i always had more issues with their updates then when i dont update.

Some of their updates breaks performance and compatibility, some have issues like deleting all the mp3 in your pc (anyone remember that freaking update? that was hell..lots of users got their mp3 deleted by a 'broken' update), maybe sometime you even get some folders and files deleted by them and you dont notice (thus why i dont name my folders with keywords like 'hack' ..paranoia kickin! in.. ..)

Hi!
helllll i was sure that i already done that before in the registry.. maybe something changed or i didnt do it right the last time, i will do it again for sure!
Thanks, ahve a good one :moogle:
Most Windows Update issues can be mitigated by not installing optional updates and by deferring Patch Tuesday updates for up to 35 days. A lot of the issues we read about regarding buggy Windows Updates, including the one linked above, were from people installing optional updates (which are effectively people beta testing the updates). By deferring Patch Tuesday updates, significant issues with an update are usually fixed before you even get the update.

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,
Yeah i've been looking into linux for a while but always had issues with compatibilities (exemple: state of decay 2 needs win10..) , but i've always wanted a linux laptop.. i just never found the perfect linux distro for my needs :ph34r:

Maybe now Mint is more suitable for my need, will check this tonight.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
If people don't want Windows updates, then they should install Windows 10 Enterprise. It only installs long-term security updates, and holds off on any "feature updates" for months. It's the feature updates that break things for people most of the time.

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If people don't want Windows updates, then they should install Windows 10 Enterprise. It only installs long-term security updates, and holds off on any "feature updates" for months. It's the feature updates that break things for people most of the time.
Hi,
..but..their security updates doesnt makes me feel secure.. i want to do my own security dammit! :whip:
..i hate how Microsoft makes me feel that my computer, is also theirs.. espacially because of the folders we dont have permission (without tweaks..) to access, even though its in our own personal computer ..

Who are they to put locks in my own house! :sad:

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
..but..their security updates doesnt makes me feel secure.. i want to do my own security dammit! :whip:
..i hate how Microsoft makes me feel that my computer, is also theirs.. espacially because of the folders we dont have permission (without tweaks..) to access, even though its in our own personal computer ..

I totally understand your frustrations.

If a Windows Update borks my Windows install, I just download a new Windows ISO with that update pre-applied inside it, and it usually keeps me going for another year or so.

I don't know what it is, but it seem like over time my Windows Update just breaks itself and then installing updates fails every time to the point that I just end up reinstalling the OS fresh. Does that happen to anyone else, or just me?

Last edited by Jayro,
D

Deleted User

Windows updates are trash, you don't need them. (I am someone who has been using Windows 7 SP1 without any updates installed for I think 5-6 years.)
You should be able to block via Group Policies, try also to disable their service directly, although I am not sure if that still works in 10.
If nothing works install W10 Enterprise or LTSC and disable them over there.

Last edited by ,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

If your computer is connected to the internet, then security updates are in your best interest (and if it isn't connected to the internet, installing updates isn't an issue). Some OS security flaws allow for a system to be exploited without you executing any malicious files.

In addition to the methods listed above for blocking or deferring updates (deferring updates to give yourself more time and control is recommended), you could also set your internet connection as a metered connection while also disabling Windows Updates over metered connections. This can only be done over Wi-Fi connections, not ethernet connections, but it works indefinitely.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: Skelletonike

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
... some have issues like deleting all the mp3 in your pc (anyone remember that freaking update? that was hell..lots of users got their mp3 deleted by a 'broken' update), maybe sometime you even get some folders and files deleted by them and you dont notice
Damn! That kind of behaviour is usually more associated with a virus than an operating system update. :wtf: You convinced me to never install Windows 10 on my PC. Currently, I have a dual boot Linux/Windows 7, and I use Linux 99% of the time. Only using Windows for very specific tasks, and I'm not doing stuff online with it. Granted, I don't play much games at all on the PC.

puss2puss

.. well ..
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Damn! That kind of behaviour is usually more associated with a virus than an operating system update. :wtf: You convinced me to never install Windows 10 on my PC. Currently, I have a dual boot Linux/Windows 7, and I use Linux 99% of the time. Only using Windows for very specific tasks, and I'm not doing stuff online with it. Granted, I don't play much games at all on the PC.
yeah.. but if its a virus, its made by Microsoft becasue this issues (mp3 deleted) was even talked-about by Microsoft, saying it was an issue and that its now fixed.. personally, i never believed it was not voluntary from them but meh..its not like its a surprise :P

I think one of my favorite windows was indeed win7. It has the beautiful look, works smoothly and never had issues with it like i do with 10. The only reason i eventually went for win10, was state of decay 2 and fallout76 but i dont even play those games anymore and perhaps there's now a way to avoid win10 and still be able to access DirectX12 etc..

But, needless to say, i'm aiming toward a linux install today as it goes.. there's jsut so many distros that i'm not 100% sure wich one would bne the best for my need.. i have a gaming pc wich i dont mind keeping on win10 since nothing personal in it, but my personal laptop is crying everyday, wanting to leave windows ..

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think there was some sort of broken update with windows 10 that caused my computer to randomly not restart whenever I was restarting. the light on the front would flash white several times, then orange, like it was being prevented. the computer no longer has this problem. it used to happen about 75% of the time, but about the last 15 times I've had no problem, so I think it was a windows update. it appears to be corrected, but I do agree about some of these broken updates.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah.. but if its a virus, its made by Microsoft becasue this issues (mp3 deleted) was even talked-about by Microsoft, saying it was an issue and that its now fixed.. personally, i never believed it was not voluntary from them but meh..its not like its a surprise :P

I think one of my favorite windows was indeed win7. It has the beautiful look, works smoothly and never had issues with it like i do with 10. The only reason i eventually went for win10, was state of decay 2 and fallout76 but i dont even play those games anymore and perhaps there's now a way to avoid win10 and still be able to access DirectX12 etc..

But, needless to say, i'm aiming toward a linux install today as it goes.. there's jsut so many distros that i'm not 100% sure wich one would bne the best for my need.. i have a gaming pc wich i dont mind keeping on win10 since nothing personal in it, but my personal laptop is crying everyday, wanting to leave windows ..
Yeah, Microsoft might have been sponsored for that update! Did it say "This update presented to you by the RIAA" when you applied it? :rofl:
On the Linux subject, I've been using Kubuntu on my 7 year old machine for a while. It's not perfect, but it's very functional and does the job nicely. Ask on Linux forums about which distro would be best for your needs, and you will definitely be answered.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo