Tozarian

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I am looking for a netbook for basic computing tasks, such as email, web browsing, word processing, flash games and stuff.

right now my candidates are:

Asus Eee pc 1000he

* Processor Intel Atom N280 / 1.66 GHz
* Data bus speed 667 MHz
RAM

* Installed Size 1 GB / 2 GB (max)
* Technology DDR2 SDRAM
* RAM form factor SO DIMM 200-pin
# Hard Drive 160 GB
# Display Type 10 in TFT active matrix
# Max Resolution 1024 x 600 ( WSVGA )
OS Provided Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Acer Aspire One

rocessor & Chipset

- Intel® Atom™ processor N270 (1.60 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 512 KB L2 cache)
- Mobile Intel® 945GSE Express Chipset (DDR2 400/533 MHz)
- Mobile Intel® 82801GBM Chipset

Operating System

- Linpus™ Linux® Lite version
- Windows XP® Home

Memory

- Single channel with onboard SDRAM and one soDIMM slot
• DDR2 533 MHz SDRAM memory interface design
• Onboard SDRAM: 512 MB
- soDIMM slot: Supports 512 MB/1 GB soDIMMs for total system memory of up to 1.5 GB5

Storage

- NAND flash module or hard disk drive for internal storage7
- NAND flash module: 8 GB
- Hard disk drive7: 2.5″ 9.5 mm 120GB
- Storage expansion: SD™ Card reader
- Multi-in-1 card reader: Supporting Secure Digital™ (SD) Card, MultiMediaCard (MMC), Reduced-Size Multimedia Card (RS-MMC), Memory Stick® (MS), Memory Stick PRO™ (MS PRO), xD-Picture Card™ (xD)
- Supporting storage cards with adapter: miniSD™, microSD™, Memory Stick Duo™, Memory Stick PRO Duo™

Display

- 8.9″ WSVGA high-brightness (typical 180-nit) Acer CrystalBrite™ TFT LCD, 1024 x 600 pixel resolution
• LED backlight
• 262,000 colors supported

and the Samsung NC10

CPU 1.6-GHz Intel Atom N270
RAM Included 1GB
RAM Upgradable 2GB
Hard Drive Size 120GB
Hard Drive Speed 5,400rpm
Display Size 10.2
Native Resolution 1024x600
Video Memory 64MB
Wi-Fi 802.11b/g
Bluetooth Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

or I could wait until the Eee pc 1000hv comes out with an on board radeon 3450.

what do you guys think? I have about $450 to spend.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Stay away from the Acer Aspire One with the 8GB NAND. The SSD's FREAKING slow.

Well, I guess the best bet would be waiting for the 1000hv. The onboard Radeon seems really nifty for games.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't buy an Acer period, their notebooks suck in general. Their heat output is insane and you will find parts breaking down easily, I have had to replace the optical drive and HDD in my Aspire 5000 already in two years of ownership and the network card heats up to about 35 Celcius. I would honestly wait until the Asus EeePC 1000HV comes out here since it has a superior graphics chip over the current netbooks. I don't know how much the new one will cost but it will probably be a bit more, but the performance will no doubt be better.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
DSGamer64 said:
Don't buy an Acer period, their notebooks suck in general. Their heat output is insane and you will find parts breaking down easily, I have had to replace the optical drive and HDD in my Aspire 5000 already in two years of ownership and the network card heats up to about 35 Celcius. I would honestly wait until the Asus EeePC 1000HV comes out here since it has a superior graphics chip over the current netbooks. I don't know how much the new one will cost but it will probably be a bit more, but the performance will no doubt be better.

superior graphics, but bad battery life. I would stick to the 1000HE just because of it's battery life. Just be sure what you really want...a ultraportable x86 Device or something just to play PC games on the go

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Raki said:
DSGamer64 said:

superior graphics, but bad battery life. I would stick to the 1000HE just because of it's battery life. Just be sure what you really want...a ultraportable x86 Device or something just to play PC games on the go
Depends on whether or not you care about the performance over battery life. For a machine of that size, the performance seems to be pretty decent.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
DSGamer64 said:
Raki said:
DSGamer64 said:

Depends on whether or not you care about the performance over battery life. For a machine of that size, the performance seems to be pretty decent.

yeah, but if you want to do simple tasks like document editing, surfing the web, writing e-mails, play flash games you won't need great graphics

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another vote to 1000HE. It's a great netbook. I installed Windows 7 on mine, runs very well
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ