Hacking Basic Do's and Do NOT's of vWii modding

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did by accident. Is there any way to UNBRICK it without taking it to Nintendo??

if it is a full or banner brick, no. you will need to send it to Nintendo and risk them not repairing it because it was modded.
if you can still get to the Wii Menu, maybe depending on what you did to it.

either way, list what you did to it so I and others can determine if it is a lost cause or if you can fix it.

Fr3akGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was in MMM (Multi-Mod Manager) and I was having trouble getting Gecko OS to work. So, I thought to myself "Hmmm... maybe if I install Wii Menu v4.3, Gecko OS will work just like it would on a Wii with that version!" Then, after Wii Menu v4.3 finished installing, I exited to the loader and then to the vWii Menu. That's when I got a black screen and the system froze. I had to unplug it and plug it back in again. It hasn't worked ever since. The whole reason I did that was to try to get Gecko OS to work so I can play Project M. But I accidentally installed a bad Wii WAD and now the vWii is bricked. Wii U still works fine though. And now with the new release of Project M v3.0, I find myself constantly lamenting about installing that bad Wii WAD.

There's my story. Any way to fix it? I have a NAND dump. But in case I lose it, I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to email a NAND dump of their vWii.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
ouch .. I'm assuming you installed the WAD for the original Wii system menu 4.3 (since almost the only way to get any WAD from vWii stuff is pretty much creating it off of your own Wii U and I somehow doubt you did that)...

...which means it's bricked :(

The basic reason why : The vWii system menu (at least the important starting part) uses a new encryption method that didn't even exist in a normal Wii and so when it sees your menu's not encrypted and signed the way it wants it to be it just refuses to run it. ... and it won't let you run anything else either (to fix it) since any homebrew we have you have to run the system menu first.

The ONLY fix would be wait for a Wii U update that makes some changes to the vWii system menu and hope that it is willing to replace your wrong version while you update. (v4.0 was the only one so far to do this ... but if you'd already updated to 4.0 or higher, you'll have to wait and see if another one comes out later.)

Fr3akGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, there's nothing else? Or, I could just wait for the HackMii team to come up with a way to fix it. Whichever one comes first.

Oh well. At least I can still play Super Mario 3D World.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, there's nothing else? Or, I could just wait for the HackMii team to come up with a way to fix it. Whichever one comes first.

That's not going to happen. the HackMii team cannot fix it, as the only way to fix it would be from in Wii U mode, which would require Wii U mode homebrew, which from what marcan of fail0verflow has said so far, will not happen anytime soon.
either a future update will fix it or it stays that way forever.

TeconMoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question (may or may not have been answered somewhere).

Is it safe to use a program like AnyTitle Deleter to get rid of the channels included with the vWii that I won't use? i.e: Wii Menu Manual, Wii System Transfer (I can delete this channel normally but there's always some weird preview channel hanging out) etc?

If not AnyTitle Deleter, is there another program that will safely do this? Sorry in advance if this is a silly question!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Both vWii tutorials are up to date too.
The one you linked displays "Last edited by asper, Friday at 6:40 PM" at the bottom.
And the other one has a changelog.

check the post's edited date, read the last few posts from the users to see if it's updated or not.
You'll see if users giving good comments, if the tutorial's owner is still posting, etc.

c3pu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok good to know I wanted to be way sure because the one I used for the Wii a couple years back was not and it went FUBAR for a little while(managed to fix most of it) don't want that with a brand new Wii u so thanks a lot gonna be trying that now.

Vince24

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I manage to revive my wiiu with a broken black screen vwii that was on firmware 2.0.1..i was getting error 162-0002 as well while trying to update via internet..the solution is to buy or borrow a game with system update on disc and update using disc icon without accessing internet....the game i used was Zumba World Party..which had 3.0.1 firmware on it..if you are already on 3.0.1..than you have to search for a game that has system firmware that is later than 3.0.1..my wiiu was fully functional after completing update and i was able to further update to latest 4.0.2 using the internet..for more info..msg me on facebook.com/vince1981

Nevernever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just brought a wii u. It came with 2.0. Can you tell me when you did the system update though Nintendo. I want to be on 4.0.2 and don't want to over update
Thanks

Goku Junior

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
do the old school emulators work on the vwii? (NES emulator, SNES9x,etc) and work via the fowarder channels?

Yes, they work perfectly, but the Wii forwarders or Customize Mii Wads don't work in vWii, I don't know the reason, but there were some special installers for them on vWii, search in Google what kind of channel you need and it appear. I hope that help you.

Reactions: FanLuigi

TeconMoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question (may or may not have been answered somewhere).

Is it safe to use a program like AnyTitle Deleter to get rid of the channels included with the vWii that I won't use? i.e: Wii Menu Manual, Wii System Transfer (I can delete this channel normally but there's always some weird preview channel hanging out) etc?

If not AnyTitle Deleter, is there another program that will safely do this? Sorry in advance if this is a silly question!

Anyone? D: Probably a stupid question but better safe than sorry.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay