Hacking Are you going to buy WiikeÜ or waiting for Wii U homebew ?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 54,483
  • Replies 237

What are you going to your Wii U ?

• Total voters

headpie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Taleweaver obviously isn't being precise with his language. He doesn't think that literally zero people would cancel their preorder. He just believes that a large enough percentage wouldn't cancel, with "large enough" being a secret number that he doesn't want to specify and keeps calling "some." It really isn't worth arguing with someone so uncharitable and unwilling to communicate fairly.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
I wouldn't hold your breath on wii-u key now, people were saying it was actually READY a year ago, usually reliable people, and yet.. nothing.. i asked if there was problems maybe with drive keys like PS3 had, the fact everyone had to actually obtain their key with a fully hacked system first, but that was supposedly not the problem either. The ODE method works just like Wii supposedly just you need the Key from drive. So i don't see what other problem is in the way unless they are seriously biding their time... there was multiple Wii teams capable of drive hacks so there's something up, and harder than they expected and it's been ages now. It took a long time (6-7 years??) and full PS3 hacks to actually get CobraODE and the other one working so i'm not sure this is even exactly worth even thinking about.

I reckon the system will be fully software hacked probably for free before they get an ODE solution on the market, unless its seriously a deliberate wait cause of the Wii-U kinda failing like the Dreamcast sales wise.

edit: btw i mean the drive keys.. the keys unique to the drive in every console.. if they have the other keys well good but the original ODE methods on Wii/360 just needed the drive key and worked so well cause it was outside of the security of the rest of the console (it's not like this anymore cause they realized its dumb to not try and check the device that authenticates the discs! MS been fighting it since the start and never 'won')

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't hold your breath on wii-u key now, people were saying it was actually READY a year ago, usually reliable people, and yet.. nothing.. i asked if there was problems maybe with drive keys like PS3 had, the fact everyone had to actually obtain their key with a fully hacked system first, but that was supposedly not the problem either. The ODE method works just like Wii supposedly just you need the Key from drive. So i don't see what other problem is in the way unless they are seriously biding their time... there was multiple Wii teams capable of drive hacks so there's something up, and harder than they expected and it's been ages now. It took a long time (6-7 years??) and full PS3 hacks to actually get CobraODE and the other one working so i'm not sure this is even exactly worth even thinking about.

I reckon the system will be fully software hacked probably for free before they get an ODE solution on the market, unless its seriously a deliberate wait cause of the Wii-U kinda failing like the Dreamcast sales wise.

edit: btw i mean the drive keys.. the keys unique to the drive in every console.. if they have the other keys well good but the original ODE methods on Wii/360 just needed the drive key and worked so well cause it was outside of the security of the rest of the console (it's not like this anymore cause they realized its dumb to not try and check the device that authenticates the discs! MS been fighting it since the start and never 'won')

I have faith in the Wiikey team. The reason they've stated for all the delays were production related issues. Some of the components for mass production were failing by a large margin. I reckon they arranged something with another supplier to keep this alive (hence the preorders opening up back in May).

The Wiikey Team delivered some excellent products in the past and I have faith that they will deliver this time around as well. They just ran into some hiccups along the way. These things can happen.

As for a full system hack, I'm waiting for that too, but that doesn't change the fact that I preordered the Wiikey U and want that too :). I prefer to bust my consoles wide open with both softmods and hardmods, 'cause thats how I roll ;)

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
I think the fact people are scared of piracy is a bit of an annoyance when it comes to a potential full system hack... its not our responsibility to protect Nintendo's interests if their software/hardware is insecure, like normal security disclosures it might as well be revealed if its possible. The Wii-U will never be like the DS/Wii in rampant piracy for lots of obvious reasons i think people should just ignore it. Make your homebrew, your kernel mode hack, and let the piracy people do the extra work required for piracy. Just cause you made a kernel exploit doesn't mean you have to be involved with that. Just a little rant offtopic but ignore piracy its not going to be a big issue on Wii-U anyway.

Reactions: Kargaroc

mercuryshadow09

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the fact people are scared of piracy is a bit of an annoyance when it comes to a potential full system hack... its not our responsibility to protect Nintendo's interests if their software/hardware is insecure, like normal security disclosures it might as well be revealed if its possible. The Wii-U will never be like the DS/Wii in rampant piracy for lots of obvious reasons i think people should just ignore it. Make your homebrew, your kernel mode hack, and let the piracy people do the extra work required for piracy. Just cause you made a kernel exploit doesn't mean you have to be involved with that. Just a little rant offtopic but ignore piracy its not going to be a big issue on Wii-U anyway.

What makes you think the Wii U will be any different than any other system that's ever existed as far as piracy?

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Its a different situation for every system though? Wii-U piracy will be a niche cause its not going to be R4-level simplicity sold for almost nothing in packs of 1000 in 1 to parents like DS. How could it make the sales worse anyway. People said this about Dreamcast, it probably just ended up selling a lot more consoles and that's all you can say, can't prove one way or another if someone would buy the games or not. Look at gateway, does it appear to have changed anything really? It's a niche like gamecube/n64, the ds/wii were the outliers cause they were insanely popular and easy to hack.

C64/AMIGA and now pc gaming (although people don't mention it now) = easy piracy and been blamed sometimes but then you look at the consoles..
PS1: easiest piracy, everyone was trading games (Saturn had basically none nobody seemed to care and N64 piracy cost more than buying the console to get a device)
PS2: was still pretty easy quite a bit of piracy, and yet clearly neither were hurt
XBOX: lots of 'niche' piracy and probably helped the system sell more than it should have

etc its a different situation every time. another one like xbox is psp, a non hacked psp would not have sold 40 million systems

It's offtopic anyway but this is GBATEMP, it used to host roms once.. people come here for piracy information and really keeping new info secret for moral reasons just means people will attempt to make money out of it instead of free solutions.

Reactions: Quicksilver88

headpie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind, a lot of consoles like the original xbox have been sold at a loss, so "selling more consoles" doesn't exactly negate things.

That being said, YARRRRRHARHARHARHARRRRRGH

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
As the saying goes, "Believe it until you see it" and to hell with the pre-order nonsense right now. I just don't get it why people go crazy when something is announced and always want to be the first in the market. Personally, I'm waiting for free solutions, no matter how long it takes. I could wait 10 years:)

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great if not lengthy post :lol:

Seriously all these 'Piracy is killing the industry' sheep are just munching down propaganda like all the other propaganda that has been being put out by the institutions that rule us since forever.

You stated it well and I would add that increasingly piracy on consoles/handlelds is decreasing, partilcularly in the big first world territories. Content is too accesible and cheap and people are too non-technical or lazy to deal with mods (soft or hard), add to that the Gods on high that give us these wonderful mods are sort of in a funk and retreat ever since Geohot got stomped on by $ony.

So its all niche at this point, even the PC gaming piracy aint as bad as it used to be because people can by 6month old games for next to nothing on steam. I would really love to know what Gateway's sales are. Can it even by 100K units against a 40+mil user base? WiiUKey will be against a base of 6-7mil units if it releases now it might not even be worth a prodution run if they can't sell X amount of units.

Reactions: Kargaroc

rhymer

Trophies
XP
Country
Just pre-ordered mine (95 Euro).

I heard they are shipping 10,000 units world-wide.

Where did you pre-order? I'm looking for a shop in Europe to pre-order from, preferably one that has an english site :-). Infinitydream seems OK but I could not find a way to place a pre-order as they are "out of stock".

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Where did you pre-order? I'm looking for a shop in Europe to pre-order from, preferably one that has an english site :-). Infinitydream seems OK but I could not find a way to place a pre-order as they are "out of stock".

I Pre-orderd mine at www.xbox360-key.nl, a Dutch site.
So, that's a no go for most people outside the BeNeLux. ;)

They expect the first batch somewhere near the end of august.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
now that 5.1.1 blocks the exploit it might be the only way you get to pirate wiiu games :P

I think they've had others for ages, the browser exploit was just a new and not useful discovery for them considering its another usermode and i presume they need better to dump the drive key. Honestly i think Wii-U will be hacked to the point where ODE will be pointless like Wii. Think about it, it only seems like it's been difficult cause people held back all their info.. when it was done in what, a month?

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they've had others for ages, the browser exploit was just a new and not useful discovery for them considering its another usermode and i presume they need better to dump the drive key. Honestly i think Wii-U will be hacked to the point where ODE will be pointless like Wii. Think about it, it only seems like it's been difficult cause people held back all their info.. when it was done in what, a month?

Browser exploits are great for launching other exploits though. That being said, with the thousands of bugs documented in webkit since the version the wii u is on, they more than likely have their own exploits ready to go. If they even have a product, that is.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I'm not really holding breath on software hacking on Wii U. Comparing it to Wii is unfair, since Wii was full of bugs to begin with.

Nintendo really took several steps on securing the Wii U. I'm skeptical about ODE on Wii U too, since Nintendo finally starts encrypting communication between the drive and the controller (Wii uses no encryption). Sony is already giving ODE a hard time on PS3 (PS3 uses encryption, and ODE relies on hacks rather than dumping the PS3 drive key).

Overall, if Wii U ODE were to be released, I would be on wait and see mode. I'll give it a year before deciding if I want to buy one.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not really holding breath on software hacking on Wii U. Comparing it to Wii is unfair, since Wii was full of bugs to begin with.

Nintendo really took several steps on securing the Wii U. I'm skeptical about ODE on Wii U too, since Nintendo finally starts encrypting communication between the drive and the controller (Wii uses no encryption). Sony is already giving ODE a hard time on PS3 (PS3 uses encryption, and ODE relies on hacks rather than dumping the PS3 drive key).

Wii U is slathered in holes, it's that just barely anyone has been looking into reverse engineering it. As someone who's been tearing into the system since the webkit exploit was updated to support 5.0.0, I can definitely tell you there's a lot to come.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto