Hacking Any good reason to NOT update WiiU to 5.5.2 (haxchi user)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well can you still play games online without updating? Can you still visit eshop (Assuming you still do these things.) I mean is a waste of time to update but least you won't be nagged about it in your download notifications. I mean I hardly play games on the system so updates never bothered me, I just use it for watching youtube videos in repeat. :P

It would be nice to play some games with friends, now if i can just find some. Basically the update patched exploits. You don't have to worry about wasting your time (If you feel it is) with a update that offers nothing additional like Finally playing wii games on gamepad and with wii u pro controller :creep:

Maybe wait until new exploit is found on 5.5.2 and then update? Least then you have even less reason NOT to update Lol. :ninja:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well can you still play games online without updating? Can you still visit eshop (Assuming you still do these things.) I mean is a waste of time to update but least you won't be nagged about it in your download notifications. I mean I hardly play games on the system so updates never bothered me, I just use it for watching youtube videos in repeat. :P

It would be nice to play some games with friends, now if i can just find some. Basically the update patched exploits. You don't have to worry about wasting your time (If you feel it is) with a update that offers nothing additional like Finally playing wii games on gamepad and with wii u pro controller :creep:

If you can access the shop, your Wii-U will auto update, at least I believe this is true. Not gonna test it on mine lol

Also if you block everything on that list I think you can't even play games online?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can access the shop, your Wii-U will auto update, at least I believe this is true. Not gonna test it on mine lol

Also if you block everything on that list I think you can't even play games online?
Oh well. I mean Unless someone wants online play then that is a reason to update, unless is possible on 5.5.1, then again who knows. I'm just a observer. I use my wii u for youtube videos on repeat. I wish i had friends to play with, but i also hate having bad wifi. :P

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Using just DNS will not block everything.

You need to go into your router settings and if possible block these addresses.

*.cdn.shop.wii.com
*.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
*.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com
*.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com
*.wup.shop.nintendo.net

http://nus.cdn.shop.wii.com/ccs/download/
c.shop.nintendowifi.net
cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net
cbvc.nintendo.net
nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net

The reason DNS will not block everything is those IP addresses (the just numbers octets) do not require any DNS for connectivity. DNS is short for Domain Name Server, it basically translates www.yourname.com into 255.255.255.255 (an invalid IP there, well it's valid but not used...) if you have 123.123.123.123 you don't need to go through DNS at all.

I hope this clears up some confusion about how Wii-U's can update in spite of having some weird DNS settings.

list shamelessly copied from https://wiiuhax.com/tutorial-how-to-block-wii-u-firmware-updates/
To block Wii U and 3DS updates you actually only need the five nus.* addresses. By blocking only those, eShop will still work fine.
And *.255 is actually invalid, by the way. It's used as a broadcast address, and isn't assignable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    CameronCataclysm @ CameronCataclysm: Why no blog posts about Nitendont going after Garry's Mod repos that have been up for a decade or 2?