Animal Crossing: New Leaf ROM Hacking

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Blundermann, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Alcuina

Alcuina Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2017
    United States
    The mesh doesn't come with all the textures attached that make up the face animations. So they have to be re put together in maya/max. Problem is, I thought I had it but it still didn't animate. The game Is looking for something specific, which I think if we had someone who knows more about the programming side of things we could figure it out extremely fast. Other wise its going to be trial and error for a long time.

2. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    I wonder if I couldn't mess around with that and figure it out as I get used to everything else. I don't know how the game has the files arranged, since I'm using files from a videogame resource site. Does the game use .dae files?
    Also, blender doesn't know how to map textures, apparently. Last I checked, Rover's shirt was not also on the left side of his face and the back of his right ear. And he didn't have two right eyes and two right sides of a mouth.

3. Alcuina

Alcuina Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2017
    United States
    The game does not use dae files. It uses a special file format Nintendo made. I suggest looking back through the thread for what deishido was talking about, Its the special tool that you'll have to learn as well.

I don't use blender but I assume you are attaching materials and texture incorrectly. The meshes in this case are made up of several pieces: Face/Mouth/Body and some times body2. Need to make sure you assign a unique material and the correct texture to each piece.

4. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Oh. So the files have all been converted to .dae on the site I got them from, but that's not how they're originally arranged. Looks like I'll have to wait for Magnethax.

5. Aeth-r

Aeth-r GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2016
    United States
    Maybe I'll jump back into the fray here. Seems we've made some decent headway as far as customs go. So- if I understand correctly, we seem to be missing some step to allow the faces to be animated?

6. echoism

echoism Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2017
    Sorry if this was discussed earlier in the thread (please redirect me if it has been), but how would I go about getting a list of items in the game? Basically, I'd like a list like the item ID lists floating around for NTR cheats, but with Japanese item names. I have the Japanese cart and know how to extract all of the files, but I don't know where to look. I'm guessing I would need a HexEditor as well? (As you can tell, I'm pretty new to this)

Or, if anyone knows where I can already find a list like that already made, it would really be helpful!

7. netnei

netnei Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2017
    United States
    The progress you've made is really impressive, my email is netneiwastaken@gmail(dot)com, I'd love to learn how to accomplish what you have so far. :)

8. deishido

deishido Texture Modder

Jul 8, 2009
    United States
    Indiana
    I don't know off the top of my head, but I recall the RAM editors doing VERY extensive research on it, maybe the ACNL RAM Editing thread would have that list floating around?
    Also, I don't think the itemIDs are different between versions but I could be wrong there. The ACNL NTR Cheats thread would be another good place to check

9. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    The item IDs aren't different, to my knowledge. They're asking for an item list, that is similar to the item ID list for the NTR plugin, but with Japanese names instead of English names. However, such a list does not exist.
    Such a list does not exist. You or someone else would have to make it using the current item ID list and painstakingly translate each and every item in the game to its Japanese name.

Last edited by KunoichiZ, Aug 28, 2017
    deishido likes this.
  10. netnei

netnei Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2017
    United States
    Could anyone here give me a rundown on how to go about modifying a villager model or replacing it with a model not found in the game?

11. echoism

echoism Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2017
    Thanks for your help @deishido and @KunoichiZ! I was actually able to find and read the item name list from a Japanese cart, just need to find a way to export the data.

12. Slattz

Slattz Easygoing Fairy

Nov 21, 2015
    Ireland
    Thats just the name list though, right (In romfs://Scripts/Str)? It's not actually the item ids?

13. echoism

echoism Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2017
    Yes, just the item names are okay. The IDs would have been a nice extra, but not necessary. Basically, I'm trying to create a multilingual item checklist, since the only one that existed seems to have disappeared. So as long as I have item names in the same order I should be okay.

14. Slattz

Slattz Easygoing Fairy

Nov 21, 2015
    Ireland
    what file specifically are you talking about? I've looked a those umbst files myself a while back, also trying to figure out how the item ids were datamined but they didn't seem to be in the same orders iirc

15. echoism

echoism Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2017
    The file is Script/Str/STR_item_name.umsbt. Yeah, they list is not in the same order as the item ID lists. Sorry, I was kind of unclear there; I meant two lists of item names, as now that I've gotten the Japanese, I can do it again on the English version.

edit: SirBeethoven's full list of items on Github seems to match the item list from the data files, although I haven't gone super in-depth in checking.

Last edited by echoism, Aug 29, 2017
  16. Aeth-r

Aeth-r GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2016
    United States
    All of the information should be in this thread in some way shape or form, with exception of actually rigging the model. I hope to be busy working on modifying a villager model with a foreign mesh this week. If I have any kind of success, I'll give you a walk through.

netnei and deishido like this.
  17. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    I've been trying all afternoon to replace Savannah's model (Npc\Normal\Model\hrs02) with Isabelle's from the various models available of her from Npc\Special\Model\ but I've had no luck. I know I managed to do it prior to 1.5 because I still have a pic I took of her back then as a villager.
    Though I did have success swapping another horse with Savannah. Is just Isabelle swapping a problem with 1.5 or am I missing something else?
    (BTW I swapped Savannah prior to 1.5, not a different villager)

18. deishido

deishido Texture Modder

Jul 8, 2009
    United States
    Indiana
    Are other edits working with your current version? I know that there are a lot of problems with the update, particularly if you're using the Old Animal crossing game with the welcome amiibo DLC (Rather than the new version of the game with the DLC already Bundled in with it, which doesn't seem to have any major issues)

8BitWonder likes this.
  19. Slattz

Slattz Easygoing Fairy

Nov 21, 2015
    Ireland
    There's actually multiple Isabelle models, perhaps you only did one, which was the wrong one?

Here's a list of special NPC's filenames.
    Also for future reference, here's a list of normal NPC filenames.
    Members of Rydogs ACNL Hacking discord and I put them together, though the Special NPC's were mainly done by a member.

8BitWonder likes this.
  20. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    I tried every model except for szd and the sze's.
    Awesome lists btw, I'll be making use of those. :)

@deishido
    I was able to edit Savannah's name to be Isabelle by editing the Update STR_Nnpc_name, though I've been using my original (2013) acnl cart dump with the update. I'll try installing the version that has the update included and report back my results.

Code:
    SD:/luma/titles/0004000000198E00/romfs/Npc/Normal/Model/hrs02.bcres (sza.bcres)
                                           L /Special/Model/sza.bcres (hrs02.bcres)

Last edited by 8BitWonder, Sep 2, 2017