ROM Hack Animal Crossing: New Leaf ROM Hacking

JavaScribe

Confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I try to extract the Cia from my ACNL in the PackHack everything is created except the folders :(, I have already tried to pass it to Cia with other applications
Sorry if my English is not so good, actually I speak Spanish
Está seguro que sacar el .cia es lo que quiere hacer? Eso no va a tener carpetas. Es solo un archivo. No puede modificar eso. Eso es un archivo como pondría en Citra para jugarlo en su ordenador.

(English: Are you sure extracting the .cia is what you want to do? That's not going to have folders. It's just a file. You can't modify that. It's a file like you would put in Citra to play [it] on your computer.)

Slattz

Easygoing Fairy
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Can anyone tell what kind of model format this game uses? I really want to try and break it down to import custom meshes.
I assume you found some stuff out by now but ACNL uses .bcres for models, a proprietary model format made by Nintendo.
There's some modelmvodel i out there, such as Ohana3DS (Rebirth) and SPICA.
Not sure how much documentation there is on the format, but the source of those apps should be helpful.

There's also CGFXModel, and it seems to be working towards trying to be able to replace models in ACNL? But it seems dormant for now.

probablygay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume you found some stuff out by now but ACNL uses .bcres for models, a proprietary model format made by Nintendo.
There's some modelmvodel i out there, such as Ohana3DS (Rebirth) and SPICA.
Not sure how much documentation there is on the format, but the source of those apps should be helpful.

There's also CGFXModel, and it seems to be working towards trying to be able to replace models in ACNL? But it seems dormant for now.

Ew milkshape3d lol. Thanks, I'll look at this!

AngelDraws28

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello i have been looking around for some help.
I would like to be able to have Special NPCs as Normal NPCs in my town. I already got Celeste as a custom villager. I wanted to do the same for Isbelle. Can anyone help me?

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello i have been looking around for some help.
I would like to be able to have Special NPCs as Normal NPCs in my town. I already got Celeste as a custom villager. I wanted to do the same for Isbelle. Can anyone help me?

Wow this thread is like a blast from the past. I swear I made a post detailing exactly how to do this somewhere about 5 years back.. maybe that thread got deleted?

Anyway! The best way to get Isabelle, with all the bells and whistles, is to replace hrs01.bcres with one of Isabelle's models. sza.bcres is the regular one (rename it to hrs01.bcres and place it at NPC\Normal\Model\hrs01.bcres) you'll want to patch the script to put Isabelle's name into the game. Use a hex editor to put Isabelle's name over Victoria in \Script\Str\STR_NNpc_name.umsbt (please mind the formatting, the periods between letters need to be there!! if you're feeling ambitious, you can throw Victoria over where Isabelle used to be by reversing this process. keep in mind that Isabelle has multiple models and they'd all need replaced correctly. you can find details on those, and more special npc's from my old resource pose here:
-snip-
I've gone through the special NPC files and built a handy file to help everyone figure out which files are whom. I have also included a few notes if anyone is interested as I've found a few interesting things I hadn't seen mentioned before.

Here's some quick info on my notes:
Unusual Eye textures ::
These are just a single eye. The game seems to mirror them instead of having a texture with both eyes. This seems to be the case for animals with a lot of space between the eyes. I do not believe these models can be swapped with regular villagers. Maybe some villagers have unusual eye textures too? More Testing is needed.

Unusual Mouth Textures ::
Like the eyes above, these are half textures rather than full mouths, sometimes rotated at odd angles to fit the animal's face shape better. Might not work for model swapping. Maybe some villager models have these kinds of textures too? again, more testing is needed here.

Unusual Cloth Texture Formats ::
For those who haven't seen the models yet, there is a texture called "cloth" On regular villagers, and Special NPCs like Isabelle and Lief when swapped in, these will display whatever clothes that villager decides to wear. Some models use this extra texture space for their own special needs like Jingle's Bag, KK's Guitar, Hats and otherthings. Sometimes even face parts! (I'm looking at you, Redd) These make using these particular models as villagers almost impossible without getting... wierd results. We may need to find a way to prevent villagers from changing their clothes to get these models to work properly.

No Mouth Textures ::
Quite a few characters don't have a mouth. (Usually in favor of a beak or thin snout) This might cause problems when swapping them in with villagers that do have mouths. We might have to get creative and include dummy mouth files. Testing needs done.

No Face Textures ::
This only applies to two specific models. Blanca and Jack. I'm sure we can include dummy files for blanca to get a face, but i'm unsure of weather or not she's hardcoded to use a certain texture or whatever.. Jack's "Faces" are included as multiple "Body" files. It might be difficult to get them working.

Isabelle ::
I have no clue why the game has THREE of the exact same model under THREE different codenames. My assumptions are sza, szb & szc are her walking around outside models for various situations. (although event outfits like toyday don't seem to come from here) I've replaced the sza model with someone else, but the Isabelle in the Welcome Screen and in the Mayor's office remained the same. So I conclude that these two isabelles are the other two models (liz and rcn) But I haven't yet tested which is which... (slow computer)

From the looks of things, it seems that only Lief and Isabelle can be swapped in safely without weird glitches. (Timmy and Tommy were my test to see if unusual eyes or a lack of mouths could go in, they failed one of those tests and the game wont boot that particular romFS file with hans) If different regular villagers use the unusual eye and mouth formats, we might have to build a chart of who can be swapped for who based on matching files. We may also have luck with sacrificing the model's original eyes/mouth for our own implemented textures.

alp.bcres = Cyrus
*Unusual Eye Textures, No Mouth Texture
alw.bcres = Reese
*Unusual Eye Textures, No Mouth Texture
bev.bcres = Chip
*Unusual Eye Textures, Cloth texture affects hat, No mouth Texture
bln.bcres = Phineas
*Unusual Eye Textures, Unusual Cloth texture format
boa.bcres = Joan
*Unusual Eye Texture, Unusual Cloth Texture format
bpt.bcres = Katrina
*Unusual Eye Texture, Unusual Cloth Texture, No mouth texture
chm.bcres = Nat (holds net)
*Unusual Cloth Texture, cloth texture affects Net, No mouth Texture
cml.bcres = Sahara
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth texture, Unusual Cloth texture, cloth texture affects carpets
end.bcres = Totakeke (Guitar vers)
*Unusual cloth texture, cloth texture affects guitar
enj.bcres = Totakeke (Hat + Glasses vers)
*Unusual Cloth texture, cloth texture affects glasses & Hat
fob.bcres = Red (Matsuri vers)
*Unusual eye texture, no mouth texture, unusual cloth texture
fox.bcres = Red (Shop Keeper vers)
*unusual eye texture, no mouth texture, unusual cloth texture, cloth affects mouth & ears
grf.bcres = Grace
*No mouth texture, unusual cloth texture, cloth texture affects scarf & Glasses
hgc.bcres = Labelle
*No mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format
hgh.bcres = Mable
*No mouth texture, No cloth texture
hgs.bcres = Sable
*No mouth texture, No cloth texture
kpg.bcres = Grams
*Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects ribbon & Flower
kpm.bcres = Leilani
*Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects ribbon & Flower
kpp.bcres = Kapp'n
*Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects glasses
kps.bcres = Leila
*Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects Flowers
liz.bcres = Isabelle (I don't know where this model is used?)
lom.bcres = Katie
*Unusual eye texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth texture affects backpack
lrc.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (T&T Mart Uniform)
*Unusual Eye Texture, no mouth texture, unusual cloth texture, cloth affects hat
lrd.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nookington's Uniform)
*unusual Eye Texture, no mouth texture
lrh.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (T.I.Y Uniforms ?)
*Unusial Eye texture, No mouth texture
lrn.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nookling's Junction Uniforms)
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth Texture
lrs.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nook N Go Uniforms?)
*Unusual eye texture, no mouth texture
mka.bcres = Blanca? (Jester Outfit?)
*No facial textures, unusual cloth texture format
mnk.bcres = Porter
*Unusual mouth texture, Unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects hat
mob.bcres = Don (Holds pick, no legs, hat)
*Unusual cloth texture format
moc.bcres = Don (Full model, Hat)
*unusual cloth texture format
mod.bcres = Don (No hat)
*Unusual cloth texture format
mof.bcres = Resetti (No Hat)
*Unusual Mouth Texture
mol.bcres = Resetti (Holds pick, no legs, hat)
*Unusual Mouth texture
moo.bcres = Resetti (full model, holds pick, hat)
*Unusual mouth texture
ott.bcres = Lyle (holds clipboard)
*Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects clipboard
owl.bcres = Blathers
*Unusual eye texture, no mouth texture, no cloth texture
ows.bcres = Celeste
*Unusual eye texture, no mouth texture, unusual cloth texture, cloth affects bow and feet
pck.bcres = Pave
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth texture, Unusual cloth texture, cloth affects tail feathers and necklace
pga.bcres = Pelly
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth texture, Unusual Cloth texture format
pgb.bcres = Phyllis
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth Texture, Unusual cloth texture format
pge.bcres = Brewster
*No mouth texture, Unusual Cloth texture, cloth affects bowtie
pkn.bcres = Jack
*No face textures, Unusual cloth texture, Various body textures (Pumpkin heads)
pla.bcres = Booker
*Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects hat
plb.bcres = Pete
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth texture, Unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects bag
plc.bcres = Copper
*Unusual Eye texture, Unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects hat
poo.bcres = Shampoodle
*Unusual mouth texture, Unusual cloth format
pyn.bcres = Zipper T.
*No mouth textures, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects zipper
rci.bcres = Tom Nook
*Unusual Eye textures, No mouth textures
rcn.bcres = Isabelle (I don't know where this model is used?)
rco.bcres = Tom Nook (Orange Sweater vers)
*No eye textures, No mouth textures
seg.bcres = Gulliver
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth Texture, No Cloth Texture
seo.bcres = Pascal (Include seperate model for scallop)
*Unusual Eye Texture, Unusual Mouth texture, Unusual Cloth texture, cloth texture affects necklace
skk.bcres = Kicks
*No Mouth Textures, Unusual Cloth texture format, Cloth affects both shirt and pants
slo.bcres = Lief
snt.bcres = Jingle
*Unusual Cloth texture format, cloth affects bottom half of bag
sza.bcres = Isabelle (Same as previous two. I still don't know where each instance of her is used??)
szb.bcres = Isabelle (Orange Jacket, black skirt Vers)
szc.bcres = Isabelle (Orange Jacket, Orange Skirt vers)
szo.bcres = Digby
*Unusual Mouth Textures
szr.bcres = Digby (Rain Jacket Vers)
*Unusual Mouth Textures
tap.bcres = Luna
*Unusual Cloth Texture Format, cloth affects both top and bottom of clothes
ttl.bcres = Tortimer (holds Walking stick)
*Unusual eye texture, No Mouth texture, walking stick has own texture
tuk.bcres = Franklin
*Unusual Eye Textures, no mouth textures, Unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects hat
upa.bcres = Shrunk
*Unusual Mouth Texture
wrl.bcres = Wendell (Holds Sketchbook)
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth Texture, Unusual Cloth texture Format (Idk where his pants are in the tex)
xct.bcres = Rover
*Unusual Eye textures, Unusual Mouth Textures, contains unused cloth textures

I also have a list with none of my notes and a version without the notes hidden within spoilers for the convenience of anyone who would like them.

alp.bcres = Cyrus *Unusual Eye Textures, No Mouth Texture
alw.bcres = Reese *Unusual Eye Textures, No Mouth Texture
bev.bcres = Chip *Unusual Eye Textures, Cloth texture affects hat, No mouth Texture
bln.bcres = Phineas *Unusual Eye Textures, Unusual Cloth texture format
boa.bcres = Joan *Unusual Eye Texture, Unusual Cloth Texture format
bpt.bcres = Katrina *Unusual Eye Texture, Unusual Cloth Texture, No mouth texture
chm.bcres = Nat (holds net) *Unusual Cloth Texture, cloth texture affects Net, No mouth Texture
cml.bcres = Sahara *Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth texture, Unusual Cloth texture, cloth texture affects carpets
end.bcres = Totakeke (Guitar vers) *Unusual cloth texture, cloth texture affects guitar
enj.bcres = Totakeke (Hat + Glasses vers) *Unusual Cloth texture, cloth texture affects glasses & Hat
fob.bcres = Red (Matsuri vers) *Unusual eye texture, no mouth texture, unusual cloth texture
fox.bcres = Red (Shop Keeper vers) *unusual eye texture, no mouth texture, unusual cloth texture, cloth affects mouth & ears
grf.bcres = Grace *No mouth texture, unusual cloth texture, cloth texture affects scarf & Glasses
hgc.bcres = Labelle *No mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format
hgh.bcres = Mable *No mouth texture, No cloth texture
hgs.bcres = Sable *No mouth texture, No cloth texture
kpg.bcres = Grams *Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects ribbon & Flower
kpm.bcres = Leilani *Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects ribbon & Flower
kpp.bcres = Kapp'n *Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects glasses
kps.bcres = Leila *Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects Flowers
lom.bcres = Katie *Unusual eye texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth texture affects backpack
lrc.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (T&T Mart Uniform) *Unusual Eye Texture, no mouth texture, unusual cloth texture, cloth affects hat
lrd.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nookington's Uniform) *unusual Eye Texture, no mouth texture
lrh.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (T.I.Y Uniforms ?) *Unusial Eye texture, No mouth texture
lrn.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nookling's Junction Uniforms) *Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth Texture
lrs.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nook N Go Uniforms?) *Unusual eye texture, no mouth texture
mka.bcres = Blanca? (Jester Outfit?) *No facial textures, unusual cloth texture format
mnk.bcres = Porter *Unusual mouth texture, Unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects hat
mob.bcres = Don (Holds pick, no legs, hat) *Unusual cloth texture format
moc.bcres = Don (Full model, Hat) *unusual cloth texture format
mod.bcres = Don (No hat) *Unusual cloth texture format
mof.bcres = Resetti (No Hat) *Unusual Mouth Texture
mol.bcres = Resetti (Holds pick, no legs, hat) *Unusual Mouth texture
moo.bcres = Resetti (full model, holds pick, hat) *Unusual mouth texture
ott.bcres = Lyle (holds clipboard) *Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects clipboard
owl.bcres = Blathers *Unusual eye texture, no mouth texture, no cloth texture
ows.bcres = Celeste *Unusual eye texture, no mouth texture, unusual cloth texture, cloth affects bow and feet
pck.bcres = Pave *Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth texture, Unusual cloth texture, cloth affects tail feathers and necklace
pga.bcres = Pelly *Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth texture, Unusual Cloth texture format
pgb.bcres = Phyllis *Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth Texture, Unusual cloth texture format
pge.bcres = Brewster *No mouth texture, Unusual Cloth texture, cloth affects bowtie
pkn.bcres = Jack *No face textures, Unusual cloth texture, Various body textures (Pumpkin heads)
pla.bcres = Booker *Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects hat
plb.bcres = Pete *Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth texture, Unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects bag
plc.bcres = Copper *Unusual Eye texture, Unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects hat
poo.bcres = Shampoodle *Unusual mouth texture, Unusual cloth format
pyn.bcres = Zipper T. *No mouth textures, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects zipper
rci.bcres = Tom Nook *Unusual Eye textures, No mouth textures
rco.bcres = Tom Nook (Orange Sweater vers) *No eye textures, No mouth textures
seg.bcres = Gulliver *Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth Texture, No Cloth Texture
seo.bcres = Pascal (Include seperate model for scallop) *Unusual Eye Texture, Unusual Mouth texture, Unusual Cloth texture, cloth texture affects necklace
skk.bcres = Kicks *No Mouth Textures, Unusual Cloth texture format, Cloth affects both shirt and pants
slo.bcres = Lief
snt.bcres = Jingle *Unusual Cloth texture format, cloth affects bottom half of bag
sza.bcres = Isabelle (Same as previous two. I still don't know where each instance of her is used??)
szo.bcres = Digby *Unusual Mouth Textures
tap.bcres = Luna *Unusual Cloth Texture Format, cloth affects both top and bottom of clothes
ttl.bcres = Tortimer (holds Walking stick) *Unusual eye texture, No Mouth texture, walking stick has own texture
tuk.bcres = Franklin *Unusual Eye Textures, no mouth textures, Unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects hat
upa.bcres = Shrunk *Unusual Mouth Texture
wrl.bcres = Wendell (Holds Sketchbook) *Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth Texture, Unusual Cloth texture Format (Idk where his pants are in the tex)
xct.bcres = Rover *Unusual Eye textures, Unusual Mouth Textures, contains unused cloth textures
alp.bcres = Cyrus
alw.bcres = Reese
bev.bcres = Chip
bln.bcres = Phineas
boa.bcres = Joan
bpt.bcres = Katrina
chm.bcres = Nat (holds net)
cml.bcres = Sahara
end.bcres = Totakeke (Guitar vers)
enj.bcres = Totakeke (Hat + Glasses vers)
fob.bcres = Red (Matsuri vers)
fox.bcres = Red (Shop Keeper vers)
grf.bcres = Grace
hgc.bcres = Labelle
hgh.bcres = Mable
hgs.bcres = Sable
kpg.bcres = Grams
kpm.bcres = Leilani
kpp.bcres = Kapp'n
kps.bcres = Leila
lom.bcres = Katie
lrc.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (T&T Mart Uniform)
lrd.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nookington's Uniform)
lrh.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (T.I.Y Uniforms ?)
lrn.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nookling's Junction Uniforms)
lrs.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nook N Go Uniforms?)
mka.bcres = Blanca? (Jester Outfit?)
mnk.bcres = Porter
mob.bcres = Don (Holds pick, no legs, hat)
moc.bcres = Don (Full model, Hat)
mod.bcres = Don (No hat)
mof.bcres = Resetti (No Hat)
mol.bcres = Resetti (Holds pick, no legs, hat)
moo.bcres = Resetti (full model, holds pick, hat)
ott.bcres = Lyle (holds clipboard)
owl.bcres = Blathers
ows.bcres = Celeste
pck.bcres = Pave
pga.bcres = Pelly
pgb.bcres = Phyllis
pge.bcres = Brewster
pkn.bcres = Jack
pla.bcres = Booker
plb.bcres = Pete
plc.bcres = Copper
poo.bcres = Shampoodle
pyn.bcres = Zipper T.
rci.bcres = Tom Nook
rco.bcres = Tom Nook (Orange Sweater vers)
seg.bcres = Gulliver
seo.bcres = Pascal (Include seperate model for scallop)
skk.bcres = Kicks
slo.bcres = Lief
snt.bcres = Jingle
szo.bcres = Digby
tap.bcres = Luna
ttl.bcres = Tortimer (holds Walking stick)
tuk.bcres = Franklin
upa.bcres = Shrunk
wrl.bcres = Wendell (Holds Sketchbook)
xct.bcres = Rover
I hope all this information is useful for someone out there! I also apologize for any typos, I have a cold and it's terrible keeping focused

Why Victoria? She has the right letters in her name, making the script easier to edit, and has a compatable personality. Good luck!

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am also having issues with figuring out how to change the genders and personalities of my current custom villagers could any one help me?
I at one point located the bytestring that seemed to control gender/personality of npcs but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to edit it correctly. I believe it was data that pointed to other data (which this game just loved doing)

your best option for that level of control is to replace a Villager with the personality/gender you want unless you want to figure out that data for yourself. I'm afraid there's not many people currently working on New Leaf hacking

linden

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
i see this is very inactive but figured to ask nevertheless, and i apologize if that is a stupid question. but has it ever been figured out where the hair, skin, and eye colors are stored - not the selection of which one the player has, which is in the save, but the colors themselves that correspond to the ids? (what i would like is to replace one of the skintones/tans by a different color and be a fantasy creature!)

Alexia339

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty excited to finally see some real animal crossing romhacking happening. Currently running braindump and I have a few questions about the possible limitations of model swapping (since that seems to be the simplest thing we're able to do at the moment)

Would any model swaps be possible, theoretically? Could it be used on a more broad range for different purposes?

Here's a few things I'd like to either test or see tested:
Using model swaps to change villager birthday/personality/etc until a better method is avaliable.
Do all models swap? Isabelle is a very fleshed out character, would lesser utilized characters, like kicks for instance, be usable a a villager? Or would he lack certain things (like being able to fish or emotions he wouldn't normally display in a standard game.
Pikachu -> Hamster Villagers??
Would we be able to edit/replace the player's models? Darker skin tones, Playing as Isabelle or your favorite animal, Humans as villagers?
((Would making a human a villager mean we would have to change the models to include pants, as villagers don't wear them? Oh god, some kid is going to ask for nude mods, I just know it))
Is there one out yet? I wanna be a animal character as my playable character in it that way I can fit in good

Is one out? Can someone tell me the download? I want to be a cute animal villager rather than a human um... If someone can help with a download to something like this my discord is ΩAlexiaΩ#5859

Last edited by x65943,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHPUzBRjg1E