MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Just like the title says, are there any decent Android emulators with cover support? Right now I'm thinking NES, SNES, Genesis and N64.
retroarch is a choice

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just like the title says, are there any decent Android emulators with cover support? Right now I'm thinking NES, SNES, Genesis and N64.
this ones based off fceux https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nostalgiaemulators.neslite&hl=en this ones based off snes9x https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.explusalpha.Snes9xPlus&hl=en this ones based off mupen64plus https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aspieapps.free.emulator&hl=en

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for your help! The OUYA died and that was going to be "baby's first console" (my daughter) but now that I have this other Android box, I figured I would set it up with some classics for her. I'm sure it would be another year before she really starts playing stuff but if her navigation of YouTube, today is any indication, she's a quick learner! Kids, man! They really do make you wonder about the evolutionary process of humanity.

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for your help! The OUYA died and that was going to be "baby's first console" (my daughter) but now that I have this other Android box, I figured I would set it up with some classics for her. I'm sure it would be another year before she really starts playing stuff but if her navigation of YouTube, today is any indication, she's a quick learner! Kids, man! They really do make you wonder about the evolutionary process of humanity.
no problem, btw check your inbox if you havent youre signatures been removed

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean by emulator with cover support? As for what emulators i have used. There is a set of emulators by EX+alpha that is on google play, sadly only the snes9x one is free. But if you have ouya, then all of them are free on there, just back up the apps and then side load it with esfile explorer onto any android device. Otherwise you may just have to use retroarch, which i would always recommend last.

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean by emulator with cover support? As for what emulators i have used. There is a set of emulators by EX+alpha that is on google play, sadly only the snes9x one is free. But if you have ouya, then all of them are free on there, just back up the apps and then side load it with esfile explorer onto any android device. Otherwise you may just have to use retroarch, which i would always recommend last.
indeed.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, i know ouya had lots of hope and promise and failed to impress the expectations but those emulators are probably the only thing that made me happy actually preordering it as it was impressive. I know maybe everyone else prefer retro arch but the emulators aren't bad and perform well as well as have simple setup and useful tools. Depending on the device you use though you may need the most basic options like not graphic filters like the HQ2X or whatever, but they play well on all Nvidia shield android devices as well as the ouya itself. :D

If you don't have a ouya to get the apps from then retroarch is the last alternative i suggest as it does work, otherwise you will have to huntdown those free ones on google play which can have various compatibility.

Leanback Launcher_20170110_011458.png

No to mention the screenshots look good. I done reveiws here on GBAtemp with these emulators. :)

Beyond Oasis
Phantasy Star II
Rock Man IV Minus Infinity Rom hack
Rock Man CX Rom Hack

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the Android box in question I currently use "TV Launcher". It allows you to drop in your own art which is great for Android games. You can even link to your roms on the home menu but getting those roms to link to their proper emulators, that's another story. Also, by "cover support" I was thinking about something similar to USB Loader GX on Wii or Steam Big Picture where you can add in your own icons and art for your games to make the menu look pretty

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
I'm not aware of any Emulators that have a sort of 'cover' support; I only use SNES9x and MyBoy, as well as Mupen64. But, that's about it. None of them have any sort of Cover support, although PPSSPP does seem to have some sort of 'Game Icon' or per say Cover support.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not aware of any Emulators that have a sort of 'cover' support; I only use SNES9x and MyBoy, as well as Mupen64. But, that's about it. None of them have any sort of Cover support, although PPSSPP does seem to have some sort of 'Game Icon' or per say Cover support.

Gotcha. I guess I need to spend a good weekend testing and seeing which, if any, emulator will let me link games to my Home menu via TV launcher and report back. :) I'll let everyone know how things go and post pictures.

Chickenhunterx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You could also try gamesome frontend it takes a little bit of setting up telling the emulators where to look for games but once that's done it downloads all the cover art for you and your good to go

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use dra6onfires Nostalgia (zamastyle) frontend. Supports many emulators all with covers and junk. Born on OUYA, now on android. Googleplay store.
Im sure you know of it, lighty.
Im surprised yer asking (not to sound dickish).

The only emulation I really did on OUYA was PSP (and PPSSPP already supports game icons) and Dreamcast. About 80% of the gaming I did on OUYA was Android games :)

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only emulation I really did on OUYA was PSP (and PPSSPP already supports game icons) and Dreamcast. About 80% of the gaming I did on OUYA was Android games :)
Those free console emulators by that explus alpha(See previous post) Are your best bet on ouya. I instantly imported to my shield tv and both work pretty well, the ouya is good since it can use wii controllers, but the shield has slight performance advantage and even slight better controls. So either way i use those a lot. :P

I tried ppsspp on it, but power stone works like a bit of a butt compared to shield, i didn't even bother with dream cast cause of the pathehic storage capacity. 6GB is so awful, compared to others, I accidentally bought a PSX emulator, it was okay but epsxe port is godlike especially on shield. I was gonna try it on ouya if i can find some way to get more storage. :glare:

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those free console emulators by that explus alpha(See previous post) Are your best bet on ouya. I instantly imported to my shield tv and both work pretty well, the ouya is good since it can use wii controllers, but the shield has slight performance advantage and even slight better controls. So either way i use those a lot. :P

I tried ppsspp on it, but power stone works like a bit of a butt compared to shield, i didn't even bother with dream cast cause of the pathehic storage capacity. 6GB is so awful, compared to others, I accidentally bought a PSX emulator, it was okay but epsxe port is godlike especially on shield. I was gonna try it on ouya if i can find some way to get more storage. :glare:

I'll keep that in mind but my OUYA died two weeks ago lol. I'm actually working with a generic android Box. So far I have TV launcher and all Icons on it looking well. I was just trying to setup a few emulated games for my little girl. This is her device, I personally use a Fire TV 2 for all of my Android needs and so far it has accepted everything I tossed at it :D .

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll keep that in mind but my OUYA died two weeks ago lol. I'm actually working with a generic android Box. So far I have TV launcher and all Icons on it looking well. I was just trying to setup a few emulated games for my little girl. This is her device, I personally use a Fire TV 2 for all of my Android needs and so far it has accepted everything I tossed at it :D .
I guess what i didn't realize was that your aim was to create something simple to use for children more like that NES classic and how it has the game title and cover box art to show each game for easy navigation. While i never came across anything like that on android, i understand a bit better about what you were asking. The problem is not many emulators have things like that which i guess help add to presentation and simple stuff for anyone to use. Though the ones i suggested do perform well, is not exactly glory in the presentation department with just words and stuff. :P

The EPSXE emulator does have cover support. So that is one, also you know PPSSPP too has covers... i guess, Yabuse a saturn emulator has covers... i guess, and if somehow you can get dolphin to work well, people would use it too on android, also have that feature but again, not every one has covers, nor do it look as good as the NES classic glory presentation. :P

ePSXe_20170118_202454.png
ePSXe_20170118_202526.png
PPSSPP_20170118_202546.png

Reactions: LightyKD

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I goofed around with Nostalgia today. It's damned good. Why the hell didn't I try this sooner? LMAO I like that it's fairly speedy. Considering it's OUYA roots, I expected as much.

Reactions: VatoLoco

cbright09

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any one running retro arch? I'm looking for a better alternative that works on android

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Chickenhunterx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've thrown it on a couple android boxes once you change the gui driver from whatever the default one is to xmb works great just scan your games in and go but I still use epsxe for Playstation

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge