Newcomer
Trophies
Website
deutschdeduktionspiel.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
I'm from Germany. That means I could help you with translating the game into German, if you wouldn't mind. I already wanted to start a translations and now I just came across with your post. So, here's my question: Could I help you with translating AAI:ME into German?

Sure. I just created a blog for that in my sig; if you'd like to join in, send me an e-mail to the e-mail address on the blog, along with whatever IM address you're using.

I have dumped all the text, but right now, it's not pleasant to read. I'm going to make it look all nice before sharing it around.

Sorry to stray alittle off topic but why are you guys talking about a german translation in a french translation thread? ;x
Because my thread wasn't receiving much attention initially, so I jumped over here. There's been talk of an Italian patch too.

Tychon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
deutschdeduktionspiel.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Canada
Dark315055Vash said:
could you write down some documentation about the overlay files' structure please?

It actually wasn't particularly easy getting something out of those overlays, but basically, besides including the text in the game, they control how the text flows as xvirus has already mentioned, and probably when certain sounds should sound, the quaking, their color, etc. Unfortunately, I have no idea how they determine who's speaking, and which text to go to next because it's not in the right order. I mean the cases are probably all in the correct order, as 0000 starts with the first case and goes from there, but within each overlay, the text isn't in the right order.

:centered dialogue?
= centered line break
T moderate pause
E pause
4 other in game event?
7 short pause
B stop event?
F pause
J long pause
N pause
(no break between words) line break in the middle of a paragraph (so basically, if you were to change the text and ignored the maximum number of characters allowed on one line, your next word would start on the space after the first, and it would look something like this:
Capcom
(space)Capcom)
s, . centered line break?
2 player can click to continue
thought text
7 0 chime
AI Not too sure, but I think it might have something to do with wrapping the dialogue in parentheses.
L5 elipses are sometimes preceded by this
L2 line break?
!
8117 0 text quake
10 Emphasis (orange) 1

I think you are allowed at most 32 characters per line.

If other people have been doing some debugging, some sharing around would be nice.

azerty1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
watch out for pointers. text in overlay files are usually pointed by the y9.bin. even if you know what commands there are in the text, you will still need to repoint the y9.

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not surprising, since y9.bin is the overlay table. You shouldn't need to update it unless you're changing the size of the overlay, but you do need it to get the memory offset for each overlay.

Each overlay has a 32-byte entry with the following data (4 bytes each):
overlay ID
RAM address
RAM size
BSS size
stat start
stat end
file ID
reserved (usually compressed size, for overlays with LZ77)

Add the offset of the text in the overlay file to the RAM address to get the pointer.
Subtract the RAM address from the pointer to get the offset of the text in the overlay file.

azerty1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Dark315055Vash said:
y9 is too small to point everything but it contains 221 "portions" enumerated...221 like overlays..suspicious
Yes, that's what I meant. It points to where the text is in the rom, rather than in the overlay file.
Darth explains it better than i can, though.

oh, and DarkVash, does the rom crash upon booting, or is it only when you get to that specific point in the text, or is the whole scene that screws up?
there might be a pointer table in the overlays themselves, which would thus need to be updated.

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dark315055Vash said:
thanks, I'll try to write something down but I have a problem..I saw that size before your post and I tried to add 0x10 byte to the text portion and manually edit the size bytes but the rom crashes...
Since overlays work by overwriting parts of the arm9, expanding an overlay runs the risk of corrupting any executable code that comes after it. If that's what's happening in this case, I don't know of any easy way around that.

Dark315055Vash

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
vash.romhacking.it
XP
Country
Italy
I'll try to use the padding 0x00s at the beginning and at the end of the file.

QUOTE said:
oh, and DarkVash, does the rom crash upon booting, or is it only when you get to that specific point in the text, or is the whole scene that screws up?

It crashes when it loads the file. I just added 0x10 bytes at the end of the file and I updated the size in the y9.bin file wthout modifying anything else.

Mmm wait..maybe i have to update the ram pointers of the other overlay files...

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
sweet game and project im offering my support and help, being french myself.. i could help some with eng to french, just PM
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work