Hacking About Super Mario Advance 4's release

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We saw a similar example a few years ago in XBLA games. Doom 2 was rereleased on XBLA, however it had an extra episode tacked on ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/a-bit-of-doom-2-xbla-hacking.229989/ for the thread here, there are better ones elsewhere). This technically meant that doom 2 got a new episode officially made for it, quality of such things relative to it and what the modding scene had cooked up since (and John Romero himself said they did good stuff) is a discussion for another time. What this would be doing is not a lot different to ripping that extra and giving it away -- technically trivial but not a good thing to do under various legal systems. There might be an argument on when the copyright started but given a significant chunk of us will probably not live to see the end of the former ( http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap3.html#302 "Copyright in a work created on or after January 1, 1978, subsists from its creation and, except as provided by the following subsections, endures for a term consisting of the life of the author and 70 years after the author's death... In the case of an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication, or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first.") that is something of a moot point.

If it was a flag in the game then this discussion would not have happened. If it was data was reshuffled (and then a flag) then yeah the more advanced patching systems would be in play.
The saves stuff for the original GBA release was perhaps tolerated for the original out of maybe ignorance and because loss would be hard to prove (it was Japan only and the ereader device did not even sell in Europe). This is a clear cut difference with an actively sold item, possibly even with this an extra selling point (do I get a game of the year edition because I got the original?), on a current console.

Yes it opens up a whole raft of questions like what I can do about remaking levels, sticking trademarked or copyrighted works into other games and could go further again (we have seen subtitle sites come under fire before for making and translating subs for films and TV, traditional ROM hacking translation is just a bit more difficult version of the same). However this is less fodder for intellectual debate among fans of law and more straight up, out and out, flagrant infringement of an actively sold work from a lawyer happy company -- don't poke the bear is a good policy in life.

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
The format doesn't matter much when the differences themselves ARE what's copyrighted.
We're not talking about just shuffling around data already in the game, this is adding new data.
The resulting file after using the patch is copyrighted, yes.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Agreed! This is some of Nintendo's BEST work when it comes to the SMB3 franchise.

What flash carts have people tested this on?
Tested on EZ-Flash IV I think.

Reactions: emuman100

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Agreed! This is some of Nintendo's BEST work when it comes to the SMB3 franchise.

What flash carts have people tested this on?
I have tested this on an ez flash IV (that's where I completed it), supercard mini and flash2advance. All three games can only use the first save slot, though.

I also tried it with a revo k101 plus and the k-card it comes with. I haven't made extensive tests, but the e-card section works great.

Gesendet von meinem Elephone P6000 mit Tapatalk

Reactions: emuman100

LuigiXHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have read that many of the Sonic hackers use xDelta due to how it handles the data.
Let's say you copy a sprite from Sonic 2 into Sonic 3, since it is copyrighted data (apparently), you are basically copying that copyrighted data into another game, which is why they use xdelta.

Us sonic hackers don't use patches anymore, infact Sega even encourages rom hacks.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Us sonic hackers don't use patches anymore, infact Sega even encourages rom hacks.
Sites like Sonic Retro allow you to post a full .bin, even of mods that hardly change the main game like Sonic 3 Complete and Sonic 2 with a color ending.

LuigiXHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sites like Sonic Retro allow you to post a full .bin, even of mods that hardly change the main game like Sonic 3 Complete and Sonic 2 with a color ending.
Sonic 3 Complete actually has a lot of stuff that was changed. I imagine it took lots of work to get it to work correctly with all those options.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic 3 Complete actually has a lot of stuff that was changed. I imagine it took lots of work to get it to work correctly with all those options.
Yes, but my point is that the main gameplay, levels, characters, and overall game is still the same as the original game.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hey there!
I'm just dropping by to say that a friend of mine who is quite knowledgeable in ARM language is working on a code on his own to make this patch legal and reupload it to RomHacking, although the patch will be quite big (like 1MB or so).

The patch might be up within the next two weeks, so look forward to it! :D

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there!
I'm just dropping by to say that a friend of mine who is quite knowledgeable in ARM language is working on a code on his own to make this patch legal and reupload it to RomHacking, although the patch will be quite big (like 1MB or so).

The patch might be up within the next two weeks, so look forward to it! :D

Can you ask him to look into making the save files smaller and removing the save checking at start up? (so removing it won't set off any errors)

Technically that should be possible.

We just need him to get the saves from 128KB down to 64KB, which should be easy considering the level data will be hardcoded into the rom instead of the Save File and thus, it should be feasible to remove that entire section of data from the save file outright.

And if he did, that'd make the game work on the 3DS as a CIA file without any Issues.
(Which is incredibly high in demand right now)

And oh god does this game need it's save bullshit stripped out. This game whines about save files so much, for even the smallest things.

Speaking for everyone, this would help immensely.
Even if he had to delay it another week or two for the extra work to get done, none of us would mind, it's that big of a deal.

Last edited by CheatFreak47,
Reactions: VinsCool

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i doubt there is any chance for e-reader special functions huh? I wish. The levels are great and all but i never seen the other functions in main game. I heard you can get like boomerang and cape too. :unsure:

LuigiXHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is also a card that makes smb2 veggies appear in every level.

Also one that gives you a reserve box from smw and lowering the p meter to just 3 triangles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.