Homebrew A9LH can now boot without SD card

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
Cool cool. Having come from the Vita scene where it's a tumbleweed affair for homebrew it's amusing to see something of a blasé attitude to this, which I think is impressive. "Oh but it's not, it's just like a mini-emergency one that doesn't do all the cool stuff because no SD card blah blah blah". Yeah, but we didn't have this last week, right? And it's like A9LH+, i.e. the 3DS is so exploited that basically you don't need an SD card for running unsigned/homebrew apps. (Yes yes I know for the fun stuff you should have one, but it won't just blackscreen if you don't now).

I think this level of control is the goal of any homebrew hackers, isn't it? If so, mission accomplished.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Cool cool. Having come from the Vita scene where it's a tumbleweed affair for homebrew it's amusing to see something of a blasé attitude to this, which I think is impressive. "Oh but it's not, it's just like a mini-emergency one that doesn't do all the cool stuff because no SD card blah blah blah". Yeah, but we didn't have this last week, right? And it's like A9LH+, i.e. the 3DS is so exploited that basically you don't need an SD card for running unsigned/homebrew apps. (Yes yes I know for the fun stuff you should have one, but it won't just blackscreen if you don't now).

I think this level of control is the goal of any homebrew hackers, isn't it? If so, mission accomplished.
That's what I was saying!
Seriously, 6 months ago, we were using Menuhax. Now look at us, we have a mini-CFW on our fucking NAND! That's fucking amazing!

Reactions: N7Kopper and Joel16

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
That's what I was saying!
Seriously, 6 months ago, we were using Menuhax. Now look at us, we have a mini-CFW on our fucking NAND! That's fucking amazing!

Agreed. And considering I had the rxtools/menuhax combination before about a month ago before changing, which wasn't half as stable as A9LH is, used to take 30-60 seconds to boot and sometimes used to YSOD it's a big deal. Spoilt for choice with homebrew now, and several CFW options. The Vita has precisely ONE native style hack, and other than some emulator ports and VitaShell there's just not much going on.

yacepi15

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1. It works on O3DS?
2. I must use SafeA9LHInstaller2.0.3 with luma and the "a9lh update 6_21_2016.zip" files on the /a9lh directory, without OTP or any else?
3. Its safe to install?
4. GW works like on v2?
5. It has screen-init?
Thanks.

Deleted member 381889

Guide Writer
Trophies
XP
While being able to boot without sd card is highly requested, is it necessary? Since most of what cfw requires sd card to do just about 95% of what you want with the sd card, it seems silly, WIthout sd card, all you can do is take pictures, browse internet and play game card. Everything else is required sd card for homebrew and the Install games which is the benefit of cfw in the first place. I don't mean to sound negative but it just what i don't understand.
Also DSiWare games.

memomo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
works great :yay3ds:

*don't forget update to A9LH v2 first if you still using v1
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Updating-arm9loaderhax

*and rename arm9loaderhax.bin to arm9loaderhax_si.bin if you're using BootAnim9 ( you'll get black screen )

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

1. It works on O3DS?
2. I must use SafeA9LHInstaller2.0.3 with luma and the "a9lh update 6_21_2016.zip" files on the /a9lh directory, without OTP or any else?
3. Its safe to install?
4. GW works like on v2?
5. It has screen-init?
Thanks.

use this to get Gateway working with V2 and yes it still working after this update
http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. It works on O3DS?
3. Its safe to install?
4. GW works like on v2?
5. It has screen-init?
Thanks.
1. Yes, I personally tested it on 3 separate O3DS devices, all working perfectly.
2. You don't have to luma, and yes you put the files within the zip into the a9lh, you shouldn't need otp.bin.
3. It's pretty safe. One person claimed after installing it would only boot without the SD, but I am unsure if it was user error or a bad install. So again I recommend only doing it if you know what you are doing and have a way to fix it if something goes wrong
4. As memomo posted above, you can use this to make GW work on a9lh v2: http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-with-gateway-on-v2-a9lh.431691/
5. It combines the screen-init and no-screen-init versions, which will work depending on what you name the file. arm9loaderhax.bin will be no screen init, but renaming it to arm9loaderhax_si.bin will enable screen-init.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Maybe this is not an issue for here, but with Luma: I A9LH'd a fresh console, updated with this fork and installed Four Swords and Minish Cap. Four Swords works fine whether booting with SD or without, but Minish Cap just produces a black screen. No Nintendo 3DS loading screen or anything. Whether booting with SD or not. When I get home I will try Luma 5.2 but until then, any suggestions? I am wondering, because I thought if you didn't have AGB/TWL patches neither DSi nor GBA would work, and they would give you the never ending Nintendo 3DS loading screen rather than black.

memomo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
this miniCFW/NAND CFW is super fast to boot, identical to stock FW and doesn't require any file in the SD card
I may actually use it as my primary CFW when it officially released ( delete arm9loaderhax.bin from the root of SD card )

Last edited by memomo,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
this miniCFW/NAND CFW is super fast to boot, identical to stock FW and doesn't require any file in the SD card
I may actually use is as my primary CFW when it officially released ( delete arm9loaderhax.bin from the root of SD card )
It works pretty well as-is! Not sure what else they need to add before they will release it officially.

Reactions: DrkBeam and memomo

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It works pretty well as-is! Not sure what else they need to add before they will release it officially.
The only things they would really need to add are TWL and AGB firm patches.
But I honestly don't notice a major difference between booting luma and booting the mini-CFW. Maybe I'll do a comparison video at some point.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Streetpass if I left the SD in my computer is a big deal for me (not like I have time for games at work, which currently is over 90% of my outdoor time)!

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed this, but I still dont see my boot animations with boot9, what do I need to do to enable screeninit?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :shy::blush::evil:.... :tpi::rofl2:
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :shy::blush::evil:.... :tpi::rofl2: