DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
It's a cool thing for my O3DS with broken SD reader.
Anyway, even without SD you can play most/some original gamecarts that don't need to write to SD.

It works fine on my other systems, they all boot now without SD (if ever needed for something)
CFW is now comming pretty close to acting as the real firmware :)
Also, if my kids remove the SD (yes they already did that) at least it will boot now instead of a click, shut down :)

Last edited by DjoeN,

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You are seriously not understanding all of the details. With this, you get mini-CFW, which has basis patches that can be launched without the need for the arm9loaderhax.bin. In other words, if I physically delete the arm9loaderhax.bin off my SD and put that into my 3DS, I will still boot into a mini-CFW, with all of my games still there and able to be launched.
You're not understanding either. If your SD card is in (for your games and stuff), why would you not have an arm9loaderhax.bin file? That's pointless.
And if your SD card isn't in, you can't do a lot of things (I'd be able to play MH4U but without item and equipment sets, absolutely not fun), but yeah, this has been discussed before so no one cares.

EmuAGR

Trophies
XP
Country
You're not understanding either. If your SD card is in (for your games and stuff), why would you not have an arm9loaderhax.bin file? That's pointless.

Because you sold your 3DS with A9LH without a9lh.bin file to avoid difficulties for the inexperienced buyer.

Stop shitposting, every new feature can be an improvement to some people. You're not forced to change your current A9Lh implementation.

Last edited by EmuAGR,

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Because you sold your 3DS with A9LH without a9lh.bin file to avoid difficulties for the inexperienced buyer.

Stop shitposting, every new feature can be an improvement to some people. You're not forced to change your current A9Lh implementation.
I don't see where I shitposted. Learn to read. I just added arguments to the "this is pointless" side since the "this is great" side has obvious arguments, so people (who are indeed not forced to do anything) can choose what they like best.
If you knew me (instead of assuming everyone who doesn't share your opinion is shitposting), you'd know I value everyone's opinion even when they are against what I like best, and I sometimes even advertise for people's opinios when they are against mine when the argument is really well found.

Reactions: Gray_Jack

EmuAGR

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't see where I shitposted. Learn to read. I just added arguments to the "this is pointless" side since the "this is great" side has obvious arguments, so people (who are indeed not forced to do anything) can choose what they like best.
If you knew me (instead of assuming everyone who doesn't share your opinion is shitposting), you'd know I value everyone's opinion even when they are against what I like best, and I sometimes even advertise for people's opinios when they are against mine when the argument is really well found.

You're just understimating what other people have done. This ultimately leads devs to stop improving code due to people being obnoxious to their work!

This is objetively a good improvement to A9LH, similar to what the acclaimed ShadowNAND has to offer.

Last edited by EmuAGR,
Reactions: Gray_Jack

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You're just understimating what other people have done. This ultimately leads devs to stop improving code due to people being obnoxious to their work!
You still didn't learn to read. I never wrote "lol, not only this is useless but it is also easy, devs do sh*t instead of working on useful stuff".
And I don't think just one post balancing arguments when everyone else says "more features is always better" will make devs stop working on stuff.

Now, before you rewrite my whole life, I am definitely going to use it on one of my systems, that's awesome, but devs don't need to know that, if that was absolutely pointless they wouldn't have done it. And the reason my post was a bit negative (but FAR from what you describe as "shitposting" and being "obnoxious") is quite the same one why I posted what I posted on 3dspedia (see my previous post if you didn't click the link). It's because once again, I value every opinion and I don't want people saying "stfu, this is useful to everyone" (EVEN THOUGH same, I don't want people saying "stfu, this is useless for eveyone", and if you knew how to read you wouldn't have seen that in my post) so that's why I balanced opinions.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't miss it. I'm simply stating that you'd still need a card for a lot of games anyway so your 3ds would be mostly useless even if it booted.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk
But it wouldn't as about 95% of 3ds cart games don't need a sd card inserted to play them. I'm sure out of the 33 cart games I own I could find a good few that works.

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
You guys are acting pretty casual for something, that really isn't a small accomplishment. Seriously, you guys are acting like this is the 30th stage2 CFW that was released. A good chunk of the community wanted this and now that it's happening, everyone is like, "Meh.”
That's because it pretty much is. ShadowNAND's done it before, pretty much a week ago. Then... personal implementations of arm9loaderhax, and finally this. Nothing new. It hardly is a cfw, just like the other two implementations, it's just sig-checks and firm-writes blocked. It's pretty much a fallback to turn your system on if you're using the SD in another device, you lose your SD, or the reader breaks.

EmuAGR

Trophies
XP
Country
@Hayleia
I can read well, in fact. But as a dev myself I feel rude when people try to find downsides to everything even if it's objetively better in every way to the current standard. As I said, this is not opinion-based, it's objetively better. You're trying to be equidistant, and that is not always applicable.

The only risk/downside has to do with A9LH reinstall, which is unavoidable whenever you want to switch forks.

PS: I respect the fact that you will try it (or won't, it doesn't matter), regardless of your opinion. Also, this is my last comment about this, I don't want to heat up the debate more than necessary.

Last edited by EmuAGR,

Bubsy Bobcat

funny rabbit
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
While being able to boot without sd card is highly requested, is it necessary? Since most of what cfw requires sd card to do just about 95% of what you want with the sd card, it seems silly, WIthout sd card, all you can do is take pictures, browse internet and play game card. Everything else is required sd card for homebrew and the Install games which is the benefit of cfw in the first place. I don't mean to sound negative but it just what i don't understand.
I'd say it is, since you'll always have your OTP.bin handy on your sysNAND in case you lose all backups of it and you could probably get away trading in a9lh consoles that boot without SD.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@Hayleia
I can read well, in fact. But as a dev myself I feel rude when people try to find downsides to everything even if it's objetively better in every way to the current standard. As I said, this is not opinion-based, it's objetively better. You're trying to be equidistant, and that is not always applicable.
Yeah, sorry for saying "you can't read", but I don't like at all when people put words I never said/wrote in my mouth so I kind of got overdefensive. And I'm a dev myself too but I always find downsides and stay equidistant to everything indeed, as you said (not only in development but in everyday life everywhere everytime). That's kind of why I forked stuff to make arm9loaderhay to prevent people from bricking my systems... even though no one ever approaches my systems so what's the point? But yeah you know, even though a9lh is objectively better than menuhax, the downside that I "have to" find is that it has power to brick so I don't want that and made tools (that I won't be offended if you call "pointless" :P) to prevent that. Same here, this is objectively better than depending on a file in an inserted SD card, but if anyone overlooks what others call a detail but he would call it a major flaw, that's bad for him.

And lol, sorry for telling my whole life here, but I had a presentation about some of my work yesterday (edit fail, that was on monday, not yesterday) and at the end my teachers were like "you're not a commercial are you? You spent a lot more time on your software's flaws than on the upsides" (100% true story), just so you know I really always find downsides, not only in other's work ;)

Last edited by Hayleia,

EmuAGR

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, sorry for saying "you can't read", but I don't like at all when people put words I never said/wrote in my mouth so I kind of got overdefensive. And I'm a dev myself too but I always find downsides and stay equidistant to everything indeed, as you said (not only in development but in everyday life everywhere everytime). That's kind of why I forked stuff to make arm9loaderhay to prevent people from bricking my systems... even though no one ever approaches my systems so what's the point? But yeah you know, even though a9lh is objectively better than menuhax, the downside that I "have to" find is that it has power to brick so I don't want that and made tools (that I won't be offended if you call "pointless" :P) to prevent that. Same here, this is objectively better than depending on a file in an inserted SD card, but if anyone overlooks what others call a detail but he would call it a major flaw, that's bad for him.

Sorry for saying shitposting on my part. I can't really find a new development pointless because if it exists, there should be an use case for it like you state with your arm9loaderhay.

Reactions: Hayleia

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's because it pretty much is. ShadowNAND's done it before, pretty much a week ago. Then... personal implementations of arm9loaderhax, and finally this. Nothing new. It hardly is a cfw, just like the other two implementations, it's just sig-checks and firm-writes blocked. It's pretty much a fallback to turn your system on if you're using the SD in another device, you lose your SD, or the reader breaks.
So? The point of these projects is a give an extra safety net to your 3DS to prevent it from either losing it's hacks through updates or bricking. I never said this was anything more than just a mini-CFW. It's still no small accomplishment, this clearly took weeks, possibly even months to really accomplish and it's still not even the final product.
Regardless, progress is progress. Only 6 months ago we were menuhax users dealing with shit bootrates, now we have a mini-CFW stored on our system. That's quite the accomplishment.

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Point that nobody touched, if your SD/microSD slot on your console is dead with this miniCFW (or even ShadowHand CFW) you can perform system transfers (in case you're not repairing the broken SD slot).
If you console won't boot at all you'll have to negotiate with nintendo to perform an offline system transfer (and it's get harder if you live in a country where Nintendo only have official importers and not actual Nintendo's representatives).

Reactions: Quantumcat

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
So? The point of these projects is a give an extra safety net to your 3DS to prevent it from either losing it's hacks through updates or bricking. I never said this was anything more than just a mini-CFW. It's still no small accomplishment, this clearly took weeks, possibly even months to really accomplish and it's still not even the final product.
Regardless, progress is progress. Only 6 months ago we were menuhax users dealing with shit bootrates, now we have a mini-CFW stored on our system. That's quite the accomplishment.
SO... it is pretty much the "30th a9lh that can boot without SD". That was the statement, and I countered it. Didn't ask for the point of the project.
But yeah, you're right.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
SO... it is pretty much the "30th a9lh that can boot without SD". That was the statement, and I countered it. Didn't ask for the point of the project.
But yeah, you're right.
But it's not the 30th project, it's only the second one :P

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks! Which one is more stable: this or ShadowNAND 0.7?
I guess you could say ShadowNAND, but that's based purely on the fact that ShadowNAND is actually released. Where this one requires you compile the source yourself or use the unofficial pre-compiled version in the OP.
As of right now, neither are really that stable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Go gay there I made up his mind
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway +1