Hacking 8.1J N3DS with Gateway MSET + Red Card: Update to 9.2J?

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm Crispy, i udpated from 8.1J to 10.3J back then, then downgraded to 9.1/2J and have a fully functional browser now. I seem to remember your name popping up in the 10.3J to 9.1J thread(s) back then, why didn't you actually do it?

CrispyYoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm Crispy, i udpated from 8.1J to 10.3J back then, then downgraded to 9.1/2J and have a fully functional browser now. I seem to remember your name popping up in the 10.3J to 9.1J thread(s) back then, why didn't you actually do it?
I didn't think there was a reason to, and then A9LH got announced... I should have updated!

Initially, I owned two JPN N3DSes, both hardmodded: The first one I updated to 10.3J to test 9.2 downgrading to help people out. Then I sold one of them to get myself a USA non-XL N3DS, keeping the 8.1J one. I think this firmware is really interesting though, and I hope that Gateway will provide a solution for the rest of the people in this situation without a hardmod! (I'd like to keep testing out 8.1J even after installing A9LH on this system though, because this thread still covers a pretty interesting topic)

TheShadowRunner

I'm like you, I have no name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Initially, I owned two JPN N3DSes, both hardmodded: The first one I updated to 10.3J to test 9.2 downgrading to help people out.
Ah thought so, I'm not going senile ^^;

Then I sold one of them to get myself a USA non-XL N3DS, keeping the 8.1J one. I think this firmware is really interesting though, and I hope that Gateway will provide a solution for the rest of the people in this situation without a hardmod! (I'd like to keep testing out 8.1J even after installing A9LH on this system though, because this thread still covers a pretty interesting topic)
I'm afraid it must be SUPER low priority now, the number of peeps still on 8.1J must be extremely low with the 10.3J downgrade method from back then. I still have a nand backup with 8.1J just in case I ever need it though, but I don't see at this point what would trigger such need.

CrispyYoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah thought so, I'm not going senile ^^;

I'm afraid it must be SUPER low priority now, the number of peeps still on 8.1J must be extremely low with the 10.3J downgrade method from back then. I still have a nand backup with 8.1J just in case I ever need it though, but I don't see at this point what would trigger such need.
Yeah I suppose it's pretty silly. The only benefit this really has is to avoid paying $70 for an imported hax game like OoT/CN/Sky3DS, but I imagine it's actually really easy for Gateway to implement a solution given they've already coded a working 8.1J MSET ROP and updating tool to 10.3 (O3DS only)... They just haven't done it yet!

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah I suppose it's pretty silly. The only benefit this really has is to avoid paying $70 for an imported hax game like OoT/CN/Sky3DS, but I imagine it's actually really easy for Gateway to implement a solution given they've already coded a working 8.1J MSET ROP and updating tool to 10.3 (O3DS only)... They just haven't done it yet!

At that price point you'd be better off with Sky3DS since you could then just use a Japanese Cubic ROM, and a ROM that updates you to 9.3+ to downgrade with (e.g. Super Mystery Dungeon, which is 9.9-J, if I recall).

(I know you're trying to avoid spending anything, just saying this for the record.)

CrispyYoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At that price point you'd be better off with Sky3DS since you could then just use a Japanese Cubic ROM, and a ROM that updates you to 9.3+ to downgrade with (e.g. Super Mystery Dungeon, which is 9.9-J, if I recall).

(I know you're trying to avoid spending anything, just saying this for the record.)
Oh definitely! I'd get a Sky3DS of all those choices. However, I finally gave in because the new primary exploit game is (was?) still on eShop for only $11, so I just went with that instead of waiting for Gateway to make a sysupdater-esque solution.

Reactions: daxtsu

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You would still brick if you tried to use SysUpdater in GW Sysnand using version 4.0b (no firm protection) right?
Really sucks to be in your situation for so long :/

CrispyYoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You would still brick if you tried to use SysUpdater in GW Sysnand using version 4.0b (no firm protection) right?
Really sucks to be in your situation for so long :/
Does the new 4.0b really unblock firm protection from GW SysNand? I'm definitely going to try that if that's the case (I've already downgraded back to 8.1J via hardmod)

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Does the new 4.0b really unblock firm protection from GW SysNand? I'm definitely going to try that if that's the case (I've already downgraded back to 8.1J via hardmod)

Well, in theory you can upgrade or downgrade with it, yeah, since newer sysUpdaters fixed the FIRM upgrading problem in Gateway SysNAND mode. It's how I got off their horrible A9LH fork. Since you have a hardmod, you have nothing to really lose by trying.

CrispyYoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, in theory you can upgrade or downgrade with it, yeah, since newer sysUpdaters fixed the FIRM upgrading problem in Gateway SysNAND mode. It's how I got off their horrible A9LH fork. Since you have a hardmod, you have nothing to really lose by trying.
Wait, before I waste about half an hour flashing NANDs, which SysUpdater do you suggest I try using? (I was just about to press A to update with profi200's, ha)

EDIT: I just tried using profi200's and IT WORKS! Gateway 4.0b can update 8.1J browserless non-N3DS to 9.2J through profi200's sysupdater in Gateway SysNand completely fine. HUGE thank you to @samiam144 for the suggestion.

Last edited by CrispyYoshi,

CrispyYoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So wait, you got a browser to install properly in GW sysNAND mode as well?
Yes, I have a fully-functional 9.2J update! NATIVE_FIRM wrote first, but succeeded just fine. Also, it says 9.1J in System Settings, as expected from the common 9.2J pack. Browserhax works!

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yes, I have a fully-functional 9.2J update! NATIVE_FIRM wrote first, but succeeded just fine. Also, it says 9.1J in System Settings, as expected from the common 9.2J pack. Browserhax works!

I guess that's the new solution to get off 8.1.0-0J for people who have Gateway, then. 4.0b -> Sysupdater (the latest one from Profi's Github) -> 9.1J. Done.

Last edited by daxtsu,

CrispyYoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, this is a very good opportunity for me to dump my .ncch titles: This 8.1J N3DS NAND was dumped before the system was turned on for the very first time. If anyone's interested in my findings, PM me about an hour from now!

Drona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

I guess that's the new solution to get off 8.1.0-0J for people who have Gateway, then. 4.0b -> Sysupdater (the latest one from Profi's Github) -> 9.1J. Done.

I confirm it works.

Reactions: CrispyYoshi

lostinlymbo

Trophies
XP
Country
So, pardon me for being late to catch on, but I just ordered a JN3DS with 8.1J on it yesterday, without realizing the consequences of what I had done. I'm a 3DS n00b but have been forum prowling (here, reddit, the Gateway forum, YouTube) for the larger portion of the last day and this thread has given me the most hope.
Would I be asking for too much if I asked for a few more details as to how you did this?
I'm familiar in theory a little bit (I was comfortable with the jargon in this thread), but there are still some things (a lot of things) I'm not 100% on. Fundamental things, like:
-how do you get Gateway to boot on 8.1J stock? Does CN work despite not having the browser?
So pardon me for asking for the coloring books and crayons explanation. Either way, this is very relieving to me.
Cheers and thank you!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1