• Views 4,483,129
  • Replies 53,787
  • Likes 43

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I have a custom TWL thing for GBA games, and I think DSi games on my sysnand. Can I downgrade with that? If not, is there a way to return my TWL and such back to normal? Is there a way to scan my sysnand or emunand files to make sure they're the original ones, and not edited ones?

Oh, and I'm on 9.2 sysnand, and this is for arm 9 hax.

Tactical Fart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The stuff you read is pretty outdated.

Currently if you get any New3DS (regardless of firmware) you can downgrade to 9.2 and get some CFW.

Though if you do try to downgrade to 4.5 you'll brick your N3DS.

For flashcards, if you're getting a gateway, then that counts as a flashcard. It can only play 3DS games though.

In order to play NDS games, you need a NDS flashcard.

Cool, thanks!

I just got a New 3DS and am looking around at the different CFW options. I've noticed that a lot (all?) of them require that I use the browser as an entry point to downgrade the firmware. The system I got is on 9.9.0-26U, which forces me to update if I want to use the browser. Since the browser can't be used, is there another way to downgrade and run HomeBrew or Custom Firmware, is there a way to use a Gateway to downgrade it, invest in Cubic Ninja, or should I just sit tight until something else comes out? I'm getting a little nervous, to be honest.

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Cool, thanks!

I just got a New 3DS and am looking around at the different CFW options. I've noticed that a lot (all?) of them require that I use the browser as an entry point to downgrade the firmware. The system I got is on 9.9.0-26U, which forces me to update if I want to use the browser. Since the browser can't be used, is there another way to downgrade and run HomeBrew or Custom Firmware, is there a way to use a Gateway to downgrade it, invest in Cubic Ninja, or should I just sit tight until something else comes out? I'm getting a little nervous, to be honest.

You can use the browser as an entrypoint for homebrew (browserhax) using this little trick and use it to install menuhax (an entrypoint for homebrew more reliable).

Then, downgrade your system to 9.2 and setting up a CFW from there.

Reactions: Tactical Fart

TheAnt317

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, I'm new to the 3DS homebrew/flashcart/everything scene. I've only gotten a 3DS for the first time a few weeks ago and have some questions regarding homebrew. I'm mildly familiar with homebrew in general, having installed the Homebrew Channel on Wii with some apps to go with it.

Firstly, when I first got my 3DS I wasn't particularly interested in homebrew because I figured something horrible was going to happen and I would brick my 3DS and I'd be out $200. That being said, one of the first things I did was poke around on the 3DS apps and ended up updating the firmware in order to use Themes. I understand now that updating the firmware is a big no-no. Imagine my horror, NOW interested in running homebrew, when I then found out I made a big mistake in carelessly updating.

I searched around on these forums, other sites, forums and watched YouTube videos in the past couple days to sort of cram my brain full of the processes involved to run exploits and arbitrary code on the 3DS. I understand that there are ways to downgrade the firmware to 9.2, the 'Golden firmware' etc., but I'm not interested in doing so at the moment.

All I really want to do right now is to be able to edit the save of my copy of Pokemon X through PKHex.

TL;DR: Here's the entirety of what I want to do.
- Install the Homebrew Menu
- Install Save Manager App

I am running ver. 10.7.0-32 on a New 3DS XL.

Now, here's my one real question:
- I'm unsure of how to run emuNAND as I never found a guide or set of installation instructions that made sense to me. I don't know if I'm supposed to put it on the 3DS' SD card, put it in a flashcart or whether it even runs without homebrew.

Because I didn't do any research into 3DS homebrew, I made the mistake of dropping $25 on a DS Save Dongle. I figured my only option to obtaining edited Pokemon, without running the scary risk of bricking my 3DS somehow, was to edit a Gen V save and then trade the Pokemon up through Bank into Gen VI. However, I'm now not sure I can even use Pokemon traded from Gen V in XY Ratings battles - which was part of why I wanted to do it in the first place. Furthering the problem is the fact that I don't even currently have a Gen V game. My initial plan was to go and buy one soon after I got the Save Dongle, but now it seems like it's a pointless effort. Which is why I'm now turning my attention to homebrew.

Again, I am not ready/willing to downgrade the 3DS firmware (as it, of course, runs the risk of bricking) unless I absolutely have to. And even then, I would give it some time to see if another option becomes available. If I have to wait for updated versions of Menuhax/Browserhax to come out, I'm not really bothered by it. I've only gotten my 3DS recently and so I figure it makes sense for me to just play it and have fun with it in the meantime, and just remember NOT to update the firmware any further.

My apologies for the long-ish story. I just wanted to vent a little, I suppose. Thanks very much in advance to anyone who can help me out.

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country

If you want to use pkhex, you only need to run homebrew (so you don't need to downgrade, hence, no risk of brick).
The downside part is that on 10.7, the only options available to run homebrew are:
- Cubic Ninja (a little expensive)
- Ocarina of Time + powersaves or Ocarina of time + another 3ds with a way of running homebrew (for example, a 3ds on 10.5 or less)
- A sky3ds flashcard with a rom of cubic ninja
- Super Smash Bros (only on new 3ds and some digital versions of the game)

Last edited by Arubaro,

TheAnt317

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to use pkhex, you only need to run homebrew (so you don't need to downgrade, hence, no risk of brick).
The downside part is that on 10.7, the only options available to run homebrew are:
- Cubic Ninja (a little expensive)
- Ocarina of Time + powersaves or Ocarina of time + another 3ds with a way of running homebrew (for example, a 3ds on 10.5 or less)
- A sky3ds flashcard with a rom of cubic ninja
I went poking around another couple of threads and decided I would go with the Oothax + Powersaves option, as it comes to around $40 total, so that's not bad. Does the version of Powersaves matter (Original Powersaves or Pro)? Also, aside from a microSD reader, is that all I'll need to get up and running? Will I need emuNAND? And how am I able to install emuNAND if it's necessary?

Arubaro

Soulspace Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
I went poking around another couple of threads and decided I would go with the Oothax + Powersaves option, as it comes to around $40 total, so that's not bad. Does the version of Powersaves matter (Original Powersaves or Pro)? Also, aside from a microSD reader, is that all I'll need to get up and running? Will I need emuNAND? And how am I able to install emuNAND if it's necessary?
No, you don't need emunand.
You will only need to run an homebrew app to dump your pokemon's save and the same one to import it modified.
Also, I know that you can use oot + powersaves to enter homebrew but I don't know specific details.
I think it will work if you can inject a concrete save into your oot (this save depends on your system version, 10.7 in this case)

Mythrandir

Life-long Learner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've started to become interested in running an A9LH setup on my N3DS. I already have Pailect's guide bookmarked, but I still have a couple of questions regarding the sysNAND CFW setup. Would I be able to run GBA and DS games and would I still be able to run NTR CFW?

Leaum

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello guys!

I just have a silly question.

I wish to downgrade an Old3ds's sysNAND from 10.5.30U to 9.2.0U using the SafeSysUpdater, is it possible to downgrade safely using this homebrew app at that firmware version? I really wish to install custom firmware (i did it on my own 3DS) the last time i did my system was at the version 10.3, but now i am doing it for my brother and idk if i can downgrade safely at that version. Could someone share this info? I would be really grateful (trying to do it now) :D

Makoto0729

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an O3DS with 4.2 SysNAND and 10.4 EmuNAND via Gateway (Can other things do emuNANDs yet? I've been out of the scene for a while.) I also have a N3DS with 10.6. I want to downgrade said N3DS to 9.2, which is doable now apparently (right?)
I have both OoT3D and SSB, but have no idea what to do to get homebrew to run on them, or from there, how to install a downgrade. I've checked out the guides and am still totally lost. It's embarrassing as ****, but I need someone to hold my hand through this.

(If possible, I bought OoT specifically for oothax, but can't figure out how to apply it. Also for the record, all consoles/games/firmwares are USA)

Last edited by Makoto0729,

Traiver

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys!

I just have a silly question.

I wish to downgrade an Old3ds's sysNAND from 10.5.30U to 9.2.0U using the SafeSysUpdater, is it possible to downgrade safely using this homebrew app at that firmware version? I really wish to install custom firmware (i did it on my own 3DS) the last time i did my system was at the version 10.3, but now i am doing it for my brother and idk if i can downgrade safely at that version. Could someone share this info? I would be really grateful (trying to do it now) :D
Yes, you can use the SafeSysUpdater app via Homebrew Launcher.

I have an O3DS with 4.2 SysNAND and 10.4 EmuNAND via Gateway (Can other things do emuNANDs yet? I've been out of the scene for a while.) I also have a N3DS with 10.6. I want to downgrade said N3DS to 9.2, which is doable now apparently (right?)
I have both OoT3D and SSB, but have no idea what to do to get homebrew to run on them, or from there, how to install a downgrade. I've checked out the guides and am still totally lost. It's embarrassing as ****, but I need someone to hold my hand through this.

(If possible, I bought OoT specifically for oothax, but can't figure out how to apply it. Also for the record, all consoles/games/firmwares are USA)
First of all, download the newest launcher from the gateway website and also look at the changelog. Downgrading your N3DS is also possible if you have OOT or CN. Download the starterpack on the smealum website plus HAX 2.6/7 gamma, its all explained how to get access into homebrew with OOT.

Reactions: XRaidersP and Leaum

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've started to become interested in running an A9LH setup on my N3DS. I already have Pailect's guide bookmarked, but I still have a couple of questions regarding the sysNAND CFW setup. Would I be able to run GBA and DS games and would I still be able to run NTR CFW?
Yes, everything will still work after installing A9lh.

(If possible, I bought OoT specifically for oothax, but can't figure out how to apply it)
CFW has emuNAND support and the ability to run unsigned cias now (CFW has had this ability for about a year now). To set up OoThax, you can use your O3DS to inject the modified save to the cart. There's a guide for downgrading here.

Makoto0729

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you can use the SafeSysUpdater app via Homebrew Launcher.

First of all, download the newest launcher from the gateway website and also look at the changelog. Downgrading your N3DS is also possible if you have OOT or CN. Download the starterpack on the smealum website plus HAX 2.6/7 gamma, its all explained how to get access into homebrew with OOT.
I have the newest GW launcher and OoT. And on Smea's site it just has links to the starter kit (which I have and is on the root of my SD card) for one method with OoT and the other method had a bunch of files that I have no idea what to do with (but also have).
Yes, everything will still work after installing A9lh.

CFW has emuNAND support and the ability to run unsigned cias now (CFW has had this ability for about a year now). To set up OoThax, you can use your O3DS to inject the modified save to the cart. There's a guide for downgrading here.

The guide you linked me had its own link for how to actually install it here, but that one just says "run the installer" which I thought I was doing by having the files it gave me on my SD card but apparently not?

I'm not sure what they mean by other hax. Like the Gateway? As far as I know it doesn't run bin files? And even if it did I have no idea which to run...

Last edited by Makoto0729,

Makoto0729

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also in addition to my previous questions, would it be possible at all to install the save for OoThax via the Gateway launcher's save backup feature? Because if so that would make my life billions of times easier...

Duckling

Sorry for being dumb ;(
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I recently bought a 3DS from a friend and when I format my emuNAND with tinyformat and inject the emuNAND back to the SD Card it doesn't work.

I'm using my own NNID, i'm not sure I have to use his, but if this is the problem is there a way of removing his NNID from both my sysNAND and emuNAND completely?

after I restore my emuNAND and put SD card back in his NNID shows up and not mine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: there a bunch of good games missing, one of them (which makes a lot of sense for this type of...