• Replies 53,769
  • Likes 43

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@thorasgar thanks i was about to give up hope. now i need to buy a new game 3ds sadly...
It doesn't need to be a AAA title, there are plenty of cheap crappy games new.

Hello everyone, I'd appreciate your help with my current situation.
A few days ago, I got a New 3DS XL and found out that it is on 9.4.0-21E. Therefore, I thought getting a Sky3DS would be best for playing backed-up ROMs.
Should I update or stay at that version? Is there anything I'm missing?
That is a cunundrum with sky. The lower your fw the better chance for an exploit as small as that may be. You only need to update for newer games or accessing the eshop. For online play your games must have the latest patch. You just need to decide what is most important to you.

Personally I wouldn't accept that 9.4 console and take it back and do my best to find a 9.2 or below. Seems a lot of people in the EU think they can't do that like we can in the U.S. (Open box is not an issue with most major retailers here) Though some of our members insist you can.

Here in the U.S. You could just drive around town to all the stores buy one, take it to the parking lot check it out then return it if necessary and move to the next store. You would likely find one in a few hours.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but the 3ds is on 1.1 firmware. should i be on 4.5 firmware to for a gateway to work?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but the 3ds is on 1.1 firmware. should i be on 4.5 firmware to for a gateway to work?
What??? Are you sure? If it is you may have some problems as the browser has not been updated or might not have one. I think you will be stuck at 4.5. You need to get advise from someone else on what to do with that thing, I am really not sure. (Who knows maybe it is valuable to some one). A 3ds on 1.1 is a rare animal.

Reactions: RahFah

Gray Fox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That is a cunundrum with sky. The lower your fw the better chance for an exploit as small as that may be. You only need to update for newer games or accessing the eshop. For online play your games must have the latest patch. You just need to decide what is most important to you.

Personally I wouldn't accept that 9.4 console and take it back and do my best to find a 9.2 or below. Seems a lot of people in the EU think they can't do that like we can in the U.S. (Open box is not an issue with most major retailers here) Though some of our members insist you can.

Here in the U.S. You could just drive around town to all the stores buy one, take it to the parking lot check it out then return it if necessary and move to the next store. You would likely find one in a few hours.

I ordered mine from Amazon and I doubt I can return it, so I'm stuck with this system.
Online play is in my list of priorities I suppose as long as there is a safe way of going about it.

DJPlace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's at a local pawn shop i'm not sure if it's worth a 120 bucks to get it... i looked at myself. it's the aqua blue one i and i did look at the firmware it 1.1U it was on the upper right. also how can i be stuck on 4.5?

blindseer

Past Generation Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's at a local pawn shop i'm not sure if it's worth a 120 bucks to get it... i looked at myself. it's the aqua blue one i and i did look at the firmware it 1.1U it was on the upper right. also how can i be stuck on 4.5?
You would need to get a game that has 4.1 - 4.5 installed to update to that firmware, seeing as it has never really been updated it wouldn't be able to use the browser exploit.

DJPlace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes. For Gateway to work, you gotta update to 4.x using a game cart. then you can install the DS Profile exploit. use 3ds.essh.co to guide you on which game you will want to use to update to that point.

i found the game i'm looking at the local gamestop so i'm going try to pick that up tommorow with the 3ds.

also would i need higher firmware to play games online or is there some sort of firmware spoofer to trick the 3ds to think it's on 9.X?

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
i found the game i'm looking at the local gamestop so i'm going try to pick that up tommorow with the 3ds.

also would i need higher firmware to play games online or is there some sort of firmware spoofer to trick the 3ds to think it's on 9.X?

you can update your emuNAND partition up to 9.4 using an untrimmed rom of CODENAME S.T.E.A.M. of the same region.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered mine from Amazon and I doubt I can return it, so I'm stuck with this system.
Online play is in my list of priorities I suppose as long as there is a safe way of going about it.
Amazon? I return things there all the time. You can buy a $5,000 4K HDTV from Amazon and decide you don't like it a week later and they will send someone to pick it up. Just go to your account page and initiate a return and print out a shipping label. Reason: the 3D hurt my eyes. :)

Gray Fox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Amazon? I return things there all the time. You can buy a $5,000 4K HDTV from Amazon and decide you don't like it a week later and they will send someone to pick it up. Just go to your account page and initiate a return and print out a shipping label. Reason: the 3D hurt my eyes. :)

Sounds great and all but I don't exactly live in the UK, I'm going to travel back to my homeland in a couple of weeks so it isn't ideal for me to return the system and search for one under 9.2

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Ok probably this question is a noob one or has been answered before so I'll post it here:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a linked nands? Same question for unlinked.

tipsytoto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok probably this question is a noob one or has been answered before so I'll post it here:
What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a linked nands? Same question for unlinked.
If you keep them linked they both share a data folder. If you install something in emunand ans then go to data management in sysnand, your emunand data(games, save, everything) disappears. Unlinking fixes this. Pros being you could potentially use linked emunand and a rather roundabout process to get game updates on sysnand games with ticket injection but honestly not really worth the effort. I'd suggest unlinking for piece of mind that what you do in emunand stays there.

Reactions: Madridi

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
A b
If you keep them linked they both share a data folder. If you install something in emunand ans then go to data management in sysnand, your emunand data(games, save, everything) disappears. Unlinking fixes this. Pros being you could potentially use linked emunand and a rather roundabout process to get game updates on sysnand games with ticket injection but honestly not really worth the effort. I'd suggest unlinking for piece of mind that what you do in emunand stays there.
Thanks for the reply, but I am a bit confused.

What emunand data disappears? Technically it is sharing the same data as sysnand so why would anything disappear?

Also, aren't save files stored on the gateway SD card? You are saying that will disappear?

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

An old 3DS can support emuNand up to the current 9.7. Basically, you have your system NAND running 4.x, and then a separate copy of your NAND on the SD card that you update and use. Also, whatever game you buy to do the 1.1 -> 4.x firmware update, you can use to extract a header for online play, so that's an extra bonus.

A b
Thanks for the reply, but I am a bit confused.

What emunand data disappears? Technically it is sharing the same data as sysnand so why would anything disappear?

Also, aren't save files stored on the gateway SD card? You are saying that will disappear?
Anything you install in emuNand, any CIA files/games/etc, will be wiped if you go to the Data Management screen in sysNand, because sysNand will see them as "invalid" because they won't have a proper signature. "Oh, this is junk data that somehow got in my folder! I'll just discard it now, it's not supposed to be here." Once the two are unlinked, sysNand won't be looking in emuNand's folder, so you're safe. I personally only use sysNand as little as possible, just to launch the exploit so I can get to emuNand, so I had no reason to keep them linked, and would probably recommend that.

As for save data, CIA files are installed to the system's SD card, the same way anything you buy off the eShop. Saves for any CIA games are what gets wiped, because they're in the game's folder. Save data for .3ds games on the Red Gateway card are stored... usually on the system SD card, it's a little complicated.
Card 1 games are cards that have a separate memory chip for storing the save files. The majority of games are Card 1. These saves get written to the system SD card whenever you select "Close Software", and stored under a filename of the format [TitleID].sav. When you select a game from the Gateway select menu, the patch will look for a save that matches the title ID, import it to the Red Card's save memory, and load the rom.
Card 2 games are cards that write to the same memory that stores the rom contents. Because of this, the .3ds file on your red card's microSD card will be altered whenever you save, but the card won't bother altering the "Last Modified" date or any other file attributes. It's running in a fairly raw mode, so it only changes the bytes of the file that got changed by the game. You can verify this by comparing MD5 sums before and after a save.
There are a couple games that store their save data as exdata on the system SD card, but I'm not sure if that goes into the "Private" folder, or the "Nintendo 3DS" folder. The Gateway card doesn't have any control or involvement in that.

Shad0wninja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can anyone link me to a tutorial on how to update the Gateway 3ds for the old 3DS? Currently my emunand is on 9.5 and sysnand is 9.2, and my gateway firmware is 3.0.4. Also, is the internet exploit still the way to access the Gateway or is there a new one with the update?

imreedeer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
If im in emunand 9.7, but i never separated my nands, can I access eshop and download updates? (I THINK i read i couldn't :( )

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1