• Views 4,423,096
  • Replies 53,761
  • Likes 43

asmith906

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 3ds on 9.2. I have Cubic Ninja. What I want to do is be able to play games from other regions and access eshop for my downloads. Is all this possible with just Cubic Ninja?

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Anything you install in emuNand, any CIA files/games/etc, will be wiped if you go to the Data Management screen in sysNand, because sysNand will see them as "invalid" because they won't have a proper signature. "Oh, this is junk data that somehow got in my folder! I'll just discard it now, it's not supposed to be here." Once the two are unlinked, sysNand won't be looking in emuNand's folder, so you're safe. I personally only use sysNand as little as possible, just to launch the exploit so I can get to emuNand, so I had no reason to keep them linked, and would probably recommend that.

As for save data, CIA files are installed to the system's SD card, the same way anything you buy off the eShop. Saves for any CIA games are what gets wiped, because they're in the game's folder. Save data for .3ds games on the Red Gateway card are stored... usually on the system SD card, it's a little complicated.
Card 1 games are cards that have a separate memory chip for storing the save files. The majority of games are Card 1. These saves get written to the system SD card whenever you select "Close Software", and stored under a filename of the format [TitleID].sav. When you select a game from the Gateway select menu, the patch will look for a save that matches the title ID, import it to the Red Card's save memory, and load the rom.
Card 2 games are cards that write to the same memory that stores the rom contents. Because of this, the .3ds file on your red card's microSD card will be altered whenever you save, but the card won't bother altering the "Last Modified" date or any other file attributes. It's running in a fairly raw mode, so it only changes the bytes of the file that got changed by the game. You can verify this by comparing MD5 sums before and after a save.
There are a couple games that store their save data as exdata on the system SD card, but I'm not sure if that goes into the "Private" folder, or the "Nintendo 3DS" folder. The Gateway card doesn't have any control or involvement in that.

Take my case as an example:
- I don't use CIA
- I don't have anything installed on emunand, all games are on gateway DS card with the saves.
- The only installed files are flip note and Pokemon shuffle downloaded for eshop, which does have proper signature since it's for eshop, and I was able to launch them in sysnand as well.

Given the above, will anything be wiped if I go to data management?

I understand about card 1 and card 2. I know I have to click close software for super smash to save. But I was under the impression that the save is temporarily saved on the system until you close software. So the final save is actually on the SD card isn't it? I know this because I put my gateway in another 3DS and it loaded my super smash save just fine?

Thanks again. I would appreciate clarification on this.

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take my case as an example:
- I don't use CIA
- I don't have anything installed on emunand, all games are on gateway DS card with the saves.
- The only installed files are flip note and Pokemon shuffle downloaded for eshop, which does have proper signature since it's for eshop, and I was able to launch them in sysnand as well.

Given the above, will anything be wiped if I go to data management?

I understand about card 1 and card 2. I know I have to click close software for super smash to save. But I was under the impression that the save is temporarily saved on the system until you close software. So the final save is actually on the SD card isn't it? I know this because I put my gateway in another 3DS and it loaded my super smash save just fine?

Thanks again. I would appreciate clarification on this.
If you have not installed any CIAs, then nothing will be lost by going to Data Management in sysNand. The loss happens because installed CIAs don't have a valid signature for your system (unless you made the CIA yourself from something you legitimately purchased and downloaded, or it's a "universal" CIA made from a pre-installed game, but those are fairly rare cases, and in both of those cases they wouldn't be lost either because they wouldn't fail the signature check and be seen as "garbage" data).

As for the .3ds saves, the Red Gateway card works by having one of those Card 1-style save chips that it uses for the current game. As you play the game, it saves to that chip, and when you close software, it writes the final save to the system SD card if that save memory was altered. But since it writes to the root of the card, it's outside the files the 3DS system considers itself to own, and so it doesn't look at them at all. It treats them the same way it'd treat a folder of MP3s, it just assumes those are your files and that's that. So, .3ds saves would also not be lost by entering Data Management.

With the situation you've outlined, you are perfectly safe even with linked nands. At least to the best of my understanding, but I'm 99% confident of it. If you have wildly different versions (like 4.2 sysNand and 9.7 emuNand), there might be issues related to features added in emuNand that aren't present in sysNand, like multiple Home Screen layouts and themes and other stuff, but I don't know enough about how the different System Software versions handle those to be able to say.

Reactions: Madridi

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
If you have not installed any CIAs, then nothing will be lost by going to Data Management in sysNand. The loss happens because installed CIAs don't have a valid signature for your system (unless you made the CIA yourself from something you legitimately purchased and downloaded, or it's a "universal" CIA made from a pre-installed game, but those are fairly rare cases, and in both of those cases they wouldn't be lost either because they wouldn't fail the signature check and be seen as "garbage" data).

As for the .3ds saves, the Red Gateway card works by having one of those Card 1-style save chips that it uses for the current game. As you play the game, it saves to that chip, and when you close software, it writes the final save to the system SD card if that save memory was altered. But since it writes to the root of the card, it's outside the files the 3DS system considers itself to own, and so it doesn't look at them at all. It treats them the same way it'd treat a folder of MP3s, it just assumes those are your files and that's that. So, .3ds saves would also not be lost by entering Data Management.

With the situation you've outlined, you are perfectly safe even with linked nands. At least to the best of my understanding, but I'm 99% confident of it. If you have wildly different versions (like 4.2 sysNand and 9.7 emuNand), there might be issues related to features added in emuNand that aren't present in sysNand, like multiple Home Screen layouts and themes and other stuff, but I don't know enough about how the different System Software versions handle those to be able to say.
Thanks a lot for your help. I am pretty sure I got it all :)
That being said, I am not sure why my super smash save would work on another 3ds since the save would (as you described) be in the system's SD card.

Yeah I thought you were probably talking about CIA with invalid signature. As of now, I don't have any (and don't see any reason to. Everything I want is on the gateway SD card). And if I at some point decide to install legit CIA (proper signatures, I shouldn't have a problem. I'll have to unlink though if at some point want to install non legit CIA. I don't think I'll ever want to thoug. I don't see the benefit to doing that

I am thinking about backing up both SD cards (system and gateway) and then entering data management in sysnand just to see what would happen lol.

Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated :)

Pufin

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.last.fm
XP
Country
Canada
Hi everyone! I need your help again!

Yesterday I updated my emunand, and whenever I try to go into gw mode I get a black screen. No big deal, this has happened to me before.
So I reformat my sd card, get the new updated Launcher.dat, put my backed up save files in, use the blue cart again for good measure, update the emunand again, and everything seemingly works fine.

Except for one thing though, monster hunter 4 won't run. All of my 10 other games run perfectly though. Whenever I try to run mh4, I get a back screen after seeing the 3ds logo. Can anyone help? 10 games but the only one I want to play is monster hunter!

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I need your help again!

Yesterday I updated my emunand, and whenever I try to go into gw mode I get a black screen. No big deal, this has happened to me before.
So I reformat my sd card, get the new updated Launcher.dat, put my backed up save files in, use the blue cart again for good measure, update the emunand again, and everything seemingly works fine.

Except for one thing though, monster hunter 4 won't run. All of my 10 other games run perfectly though. Whenever I try to run mh4, I get a back screen after seeing the 3ds logo. Can anyone help? 10 games but the only one I want to play is monster hunter!
What are your current sysnand and emunand versions and o3ds or new? I assume old.

Can anyone link me to a tutorial on how to update the Gateway 3ds? Currently my emunand is on 9.5 and sysnand is 9.2, and my gateway firmware is 3.0.4. Also, is the internet exploit still the way to access the Gateway or is there a new one with the update?
I will write you a custom tutorial.

1. Copy the new launcher.dat to mSD card replacing old one.
2. Profit. :)

Launches the same on old 3ds.

If im in emunand 9.7, but i never separated my nands, can I access eshop and download updates? (I THINK i read i couldn't :( )
Yes you can.

Reactions: Shad0wninja

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should have included that! I am using the old 3ds. Sysnand: 4.2.0-9U Emunand: 9.7.0-25U
Not sure. Try recopying the rom over. Back up your save! Format the mSD and copy everything over in one operation to avoid fragmentation.

Look back through the threads and see if anyone had the same issue I think I saw one recently. MH threads are common.

I have a 3ds on 9.2. I have Cubic Ninja. What I want to do is be able to play games from other regions and access eshop for my downloads. Is all this possible with just Cubic Ninja?
I think so with the new regionfour. For eshop you would have to upgrade to 9.7 and loose other exploit oportunities. I would look into retools as well.

Shad0wninja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can anyone link me to a tutorial on how to update the Gateway 3ds for the old 3DS? Currently my emunand is on 9.5 and sysnand is 9.2, and my gateway firmware is 3.0.4. Also, is the internet exploit still the way to access the Gateway or is there a new one with the update?
Anyone...?

Pufin

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.last.fm
XP
Country
Canada
Not sure. Try recopying the rom over. Back up your save! Format the mSD and copy everything over in one operation to avoid fragmentation.

Look back through the threads and see if anyone had the same issue I think I saw one recently. MH threads are common.

Took a while, but it didn't work. I tried deleting my save files to see if that was the problem, but it isn't working either. I'm going to try and get another version of the rom

EDIT: I fixed it! I extracted the original rom I again and used that.

Reactions: thorasgar

BernddasTost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi. I got one more question ^^.

The new 3ds has been released on February 13, 2015.
And system version 9.2.0-20 has been released on October 30, 2014.

That means, the console has to be manufactured before this date.

Can anybody confirm that a new 3ds console had system version 9.2.0 or below on the delivery date?
I'm not sure if it's possible to purchase a console with 9.2.0 (anymore).

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
going be picking up the 3DS on 1.1U firmware today. but i can't find a 4.5 game anywhere. can i use a lower firmware game? also in order to connect the 3ds to the browser do i have to update my firmware to 9.x?

Frederik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello, can anyone give me a link to a noob-friendly (Video)-Tutorial for Gateway 3.2.1 in GERMAN LANGUAGE ?
Thanks so much.

SammyPoke

Trophies
XP
Country
going be picking up the 3DS on 1.1U firmware today. but i can't find a 4.5 game anywhere. can i use a lower firmware game? also in order to connect the 3ds to the browser do i have to update my firmware to 9.x?

You should be between 4.0 to 4.5 (but not above) (in order to use regular non WiFi Gateway boot). According to the official website you can use above firmware (not over 9.2 though) but the booth will require WiFi.
With GATEWAY ULTRA we support ALL 3DS/2DS/3DS XL consoles on sysnand firmware starting from 4.5 and all the way up to 9.2!
So update (but purchasing a game like Luigi's Mansion or one that updates automatically to a firmware between 4.0 and 4.5) somewhere in that range and you should be fine.

I have a more complicated question to ask, that I might as well ask on its own thread. . . Hope I helped.

Scorpiopt

Trophies
XP
Country
ah ballz then what's the point of getting a flashcart... if i can't use the same header... for online play...

you can play it online just not at the same time. aka having to consoles using the same headers

Yes. 2 methods are available. Emunand tool and using a on image as detailed in the sticky on this sub.

thank you

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I got one more question ^^.

The new 3ds has been released on February 13, 2015.
And system version 9.2.0-20 has been released on October 30, 2014.

That means, the console has to be manufactured before this date.

Can anybody confirm that a new 3ds console had system version 9.2.0 or below on the delivery date?
I'm not sure if it's possible to purchase a console with 9.2.0 (anymore).
Interesting conclusion. I have 3 N3DSs all on 9.0. Just because a fw version is released does not mean the hardware being manufactured at that moment has the newest. Nintendo is not Apple.

There are plenty of 9.2 and below available right now. Probably not being manufactured but available.

Given your situation with the browser unless someone with a lot of experience tells you otherwise do not go over 4.5. I am not sure if it is possible to update the browser or not right now without a full update from Nintendo and this getting 9.7. It may be possible with 3dnus or another method. That is a question for the main sub.

3ds.essh.co is a list of scene releases and the included firmware. Sort it and there are plenty of 4.1-4.5 games. You can find one of them, even new.

Reactions: BernddasTost

BernddasTost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks a lot dude. I know people can get quite annoying. ^^

I'm gonna purchase a console through the internet. This is the only way I can be sure, being able to send the console back if sys ver does not match.

Thanks.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot dude. I know people can get quite annoying. ^^

I'm gonna purchase a console through the internet. This is the only way I can be sure, being able to send the console back if sys ver does not match.

Thanks.
That can get expensive with shipping. Another option is use eBay and just straight up ask the seller.

Reactions: BernddasTost

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well i bought animal crossing new leaf. since it's the only game that was new there for cheap. going wait to i get the gateway before i screw around with anything else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1