• Likes 43

MeechyBro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all!

I have a question for those of you who are knowledgable about or have a SKY3DS.
-- I was thinking about buying one, as it saves money (the reason most of us want it) but I've heard that they have a few issues, i.e. Corrupted save files. I was wondering if it's actually possible to save my games on it? Also, can I put regular NDS roms on it?

Thanks a bunch,
Meech

Rose93

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi, I have a couple of questions and I am sorry if they have been answered before:

1. can I play old nds games alongside 3ds games with the gateway/sky3ds flashcards?
2. is the new sky3ds card region free?
3. why does sky3ds support newer firmwares? Is it possible that a new firmware is going to brick that card anytime soon?

Fil o_O

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1) I know for a fact that you cannot use the blue Gateway Cart, which one was made for playing old nds games, on newer firmwares than 5.x. The New Nintendo 3DS have firmwares higher than that. So you'll need a different cart for that. I just got a R4i SDHC smart upgrade and it works like a charm for nds games, bundled with a 2 gb sd card.

2 ) Sky is not region free, because the unit itself is tricked into thinking a retail cart was inserted

3 ) I asked the very same question myself and 50% say it cannot be fixed by N. because if it were so it would have happened already, some say it is possible that future updates will cut out sky.

MkidTrigun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I just have a couple of questions regarding the Sky3DS.

I get the reasoning behind the Sky3DS not supporting eShop titles, as it mimics a retail cart from what I've read up on it, so it makes sense that the ROM burning tool doesn't seem to work with them as the template it works with doesn't have their data predetermined. And from my understanding, the data from said template is supposed to be 0x1400, the Title_ID of said game?But then converting the ROM with a certain tool and then changing the template data can also set the game up with saving to the SD card rather than the built-in EEPROM, which works with most but not all titles.

When burning the ROM, it usually pulls the data from the template to change whatever info is on the ROM at 0x1400... But when trying to read the ROM in a hex editor at the same address (0x0001400, depending on the ROM size), it's usually filled with FF for a few lines, unlike the template where it has different data. I'm assuming I'm looking at the wrong hex address? Or if not, I'm assuming that the ROM itself is encrypted but then the burning tool can decrypt it but change the info needed before burning it?

Long story short- I'm trying to burn an eShop ROM as you may have guessed, regardless of whether it'll run or not, I want to be able to burn it. Even though the template doesn't have any data, I want to try messing with a few games in a hex editor that have data in the template, compare the data and attempt to get one game burned.

Q1:Is 0x1400 the right hex address to where the burner looks for specific data, and if not, does anyone know the address/if it can be even looked at/for using a regular hex editor?

Q2:How was the data for the template created?

Q3:If I tried to hex edit the template data into a ROM before burning it, assuming I have the right address, would it burn normally or would it mess things up even more?

Q4: Has anyone even gotten a successful burn (I.E. Used the burning tool to burn said title, not necessarily get it running on the 3DS) of any eShop game?

Sorry to be so scatter brained and/or too technical about my questions!

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when did sky3ds come out with a no game limit flashcart?

can it be played on the latest firmware

can a sky3ds be played on a 2ds?

ryouga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I got the Gateway itself now working no problems just having defragmentation problems on my brand new Toshiba card, I placed my backups onto the card and only 1 didnt boot with error, so ran defraggler(since diskeeper didnt recognise the drive) first it told me it was just that 1 game (which was 1.9 gig) that was fragmented but when trying to defragment it it then told me another 1.9 gig file was defragmented, after about 3 or 4 hours it finished the defrag but I accidently clicked defrag again when I dropped my mouse and noticed that it told me card was 4 gig fragmented again.

No idea if its a problem with my card or just defraggler causing problems.

brandon199019

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Beginner question here, I went through the FAQ so very sorry if this was mentioned there.

I have a 3DS XL 6.2.0-12U, this is currently not supported, but is there a possibility it will be with the Gateway Card? Does this mean I should refrain from firmware updates from here on out or go to whichever version is currently out and wait from there?

Does the Gateway let me do multiplayer at all? Can I use it to play estore games?

fuzzy_panda

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hey guys I just bought the new 3DS XL (AU/NZ version, so same as Europe/PAL). Plan on using Sky3DS blue edition since it seems easy to use. My goal is to just use it to play a few games, not really interested in any advanced features.
Just wanted to know if there is a possibility of bricking my 3DS? Also if I do happen to accidentally update to a newer firmware that is not supported, does that brick my 3DS? From reading about it, it seems to work by simply making the 3DS think an actual game is plugged in. So it should be pretty safe for my console right?

I mean, would the worst case scenario be just a new game that needs a new firmware, I try to launch it but it fails, and i just wait to install the new Sky3DS patch?

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the Gateway itself now working no problems just having defragmentation problems on my brand new Toshiba card, I placed my backups onto the card and only 1 didnt boot with error, so ran defraggler(since diskeeper didnt recognise the drive) first it told me it was just that 1 game (which was 1.9 gig) that was fragmented but when trying to defragment it it then told me another 1.9 gig file was defragmented, after about 3 or 4 hours it finished the defrag but I accidently clicked defrag again when I dropped my mouse and noticed that it told me card was 4 gig fragmented again.

No idea if its a problem with my card or just defraggler causing problems.

Format the card, then copy the games to it one at a time, without deleting any files.

Beginner question here, I went through the FAQ so very sorry if this was mentioned there.

I have a 3DS XL 6.2.0-12U, this is currently not supported, but is there a possibility it will be with the Gateway Card? Does this mean I should refrain from firmware updates from here on out or go to whichever version is currently out and wait from there?

Does the Gateway let me do multiplayer at all? Can I use it to play estore games?

Do not update your 3DS. You'll be able to update to an exploitable version using any game like SSB or Pokemon (XY/ORAS).

Gateway works with online and local multiplayer, as well as eshop games. Local multiplayer does not work cross-region, even if using same region roms.

Hey guys I just bought the new 3DS XL (AU/NZ version, so same as Europe/PAL). Plan on using Sky3DS blue edition since it seems easy to use. My goal is to just use it to play a few games, not really interested in any advanced features.
Just wanted to know if there is a possibility of bricking my 3DS? Also if I do happen to accidentally update to a newer firmware that is not supported, does that brick my 3DS? From reading about it, it seems to work by simply making the 3DS think an actual game is plugged in. So it should be pretty safe for my console right?

I mean, would the worst case scenario be just a new game that needs a new firmware, I try to launch it but it fails, and i just wait to install the new Sky3DS patch?

If sky3ds gets blocked it's not going to have a patch. You'll just need to not update your 3ds to continue using it. No known possibility of bricking. Nintendo's terms do say they can brick your console in updates for using flashcards, but it's not realistic to think they would.

brandon199019

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do not update your 3DS. You'll be able to update to an exploitable version using any game like SSB or Pokemon (XY/ORAS)

Does this mean that I can just run SSB or Pokemon and it will automatically patch my firmware up to the desired version? (Similar to how some wii games would require certain firmwares)

Or will it update and from there I need to sit tight and wait for a compatibility patch?

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Do not update your 3DS. You'll be able to update to an exploitable version using any game like SSB or Pokemon (XY/ORAS)

Does this mean that I can just run SSB or Pokemon and it will automatically patch my firmware up to the desired version? (Similar to how some wii games would require certain firmwares)

Or will it update and from there I need to sit tight and wait for a compatibility patch?
8.1 will be supported, ssb43ds comes with 8.1 on the card

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
And the pokemon games as well? Sorry for barrage questions, I was just planning on picking up Pokemon X/Y or AS/OM anyway
I personally don't know, there's a repository linked in other threads around this section where you can see which firmware games ship with

http://3ds.essh.co/
Looks like the pokkimans ships with 7.2 or 7.1, which gateway confirmed recently

brandon199019

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Last question before I order one:

it looks like the Pokemon Saphire and Ruby remakes will get me to 7.2.0U which is in the range of firemwares supported by Gateway..however on the main page for the card it says "

• Works on 3DS & 3DS XL (Firmware 4.1-4.5)"
does this mean my 7.2.0U 3DS XL wouldn't work or is that just outdated info or am I interpreting it incorrectly?

Ralph1611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need help understanding what the EEPROM status needs to be on disk writer for the SKY3DS.

I dont have the cart yet, but its on the way, and I just want to prepare my SD card before it gets here. I like to prepare.

Most of my games say YES under EEPROM and two say NO (Pokemon Sapphire and Ruby)

also... I am trying to upload more games... but I am restricted.

this is on a 64gb microSD .

So what does YES or NO mean?

Thanks

31 files 2.png

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
Last question before I order one:

it looks like the Pokemon Saphire and Ruby remakes will get me to 7.2.0U which is in the range of firemwares supported by Gateway..however on the main page for the card it says "

• Works on 3DS & 3DS XL (Firmware 4.1-4.5)"
does this mean my 7.2.0U 3DS XL wouldn't work or is that just outdated info or am I interpreting it incorrectly?
I feel like OR and AS get you to a higher FW than 7.2. Perhaps I'm wrong on that thought. Wouldn't hurt to double check.

Retailers can guarantee 4.X support right here and now. Soon enough, they can promise 9.2 and under, but it isn't out yet. The information is just conservative, not necessarily wrong or outdated.

fuzzy_panda

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Format the card, then copy the games to it one at a time, without deleting any files.

Do not update your 3DS. You'll be able to update to an exploitable version using any game like SSB or Pokemon (XY/ORAS).

Gateway works with online and local multiplayer, as well as eshop games. Local multiplayer does not work cross-region, even if using same region roms.

If sky3ds gets blocked it's not going to have a patch. You'll just need to not update your 3ds to continue using it. No known possibility of bricking. Nintendo's terms do say they can brick your console in updates for using flashcards, but it's not realistic to think they would.

Thanks for your answer. So if Monster Hunter 4 or Xenoblade comes out and requires the latest firmware to play, what happens then? Do i have to then buy the most recent version of Sky3DS in order to play my older games AND the new game?

Oishikatta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your answer. So if Monster Hunter 4 or Xenoblade comes out and requires the latest firmware to play, what happens then? Do i have to then buy the most recent version of Sky3DS in order to play my older games AND the new game?

They've already had the one revision to change the game limit, so it seems clear they won't be offering any updates/patches like gateway. It's very likely that sky3ds will be blocked with updates just like the DS cards used to be. At this point nobody knows for certain.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, on that android PC? +1