• Views 4,484,603
  • Replies 53,787
  • Likes 43

Livelongdienever

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, I've been working on modding a Nintendo 2DS to work with a Gamecube controller. I recently came across these videos:

I've been in contact with the guy who did this mod because it's very close to the idea I had on doing this. He recommended buying a Teensy 3.1 to do the job.

Now I'm wondering does anybody have any tips on how to do what he's done? Using the Teensy 3.1 of course. Second question does anybody know where I could get a program code to use on the Teensy 3.1 to use for this. I've seen a few different tutorials on programming the Teensy for controller use.
(Example https://learn.adafruit.com/usb-snes-gamepad/overview)

I appreciate any help I can get. Thank you!

Veign06

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's hilarious/creepy, I was surfing a homebrew site and by pure coincidence came across a page about emuNAND Tool at the exact same moment you posted this :blink:

Anyway, thank you. I'm planning do to the following:
1.Backup the emuNAND (which is currently at 4.5.0)
2.Update the emuNAND to firmware 8 via Internet
3.Create a second emuNAND backup
4.Restore the original backup with firm 4.5.0
5.Wait until the GW team releases the GW firmware that supports firm 8 for emuNAND, then restore the second backup

Can I do that with this tool? Also, any caveats I should be aware of?
Yes, you can definitely do this. Only thing you might have to consider is that all your streetpasses (including Mii Plaza data), play coins, step counter data, play history, menu arrangement and purchase tickets are all saved in the NAND, and thus if you restore a backup, you'll restore all those things back to when you made the backup.
In order to do this, you have to have the hardware mod, right or you can just simply backup, update and then restore without the hardware mod? thanks

edit* okay NM, misread...I guess I was more thinking NAND than emuNAND. What would be the point of updating emuNAND to 8.0 if it doesnt work? Just to have a backup in case there is another update soon after they release a new GW firmware that works with 8.0 but you dont get to update to it in time?

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
In order to do this, you have to have the hardware mod, right or you can just simply backup, update and then restore without the hardware mod? thanks

edit* okay NM, misread...I guess I was more thinking NAND than emuNAND. What would be the point of updating emuNAND to 8.0 if it doesnt work? Just to have a backup in case there is another update soon after they release a new GW firmware that works with 8.0 but you dont get to update to it in time?
Yes, I think that's the reason for doing this. I can't think of anything else myself.

Reactions: Veign06

Blueie

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Oh, you're right. Can I get the emuNAND to download the latest update but not install it, so that I can update offline later?
I don't know, actually. Maybe if you boot it in classic mode and then just put the 3DS in sleep overnight while it is connected to the internet, it might download the update.
If it does this, though, then it will keep prompting you to apply the update every time you enter the main menu.
Yups, it works. You can also download the update from gateway mode (not just classic).
But it would be wise to backup your emunand before and after.
So I can just leave it in sleep mode overnight and it'll download the update? It won't go back to the real NAND, right? And it definitely won't install any updates without prompting first? Sorry for my paranoia, I'm new to this and had never owned a 3DS before.

Yes, I think that's the reason for doing this. I can't think of anything else myself.
Yup, that's it. Since the GW team announced that there will be 8.0 support, I want to have the option to update to it even after it becomes obsolete, in case it's the final supported version. Even if I cannot play online, I'll still have access to most of the features introduced between 4.5 and 8.0. What mainly interests me is Miiverse's screencap feature. Though now that I think about it, I might not be able to use it after 8.0 becomes obsolete if they force you to keep your firmware updated to use Miiverse. Do they?

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I can just leave it in sleep mode overnight and it'll download the update? It won't go back to the real NAND, right? And it definitely won't install any updates without prompting first? Sorry for my paranoia, I'm new to this and had never owned a 3DS before.

Yup, that's it. Since the GW team announced that there will be 8.0 supported, I want to have the option to update to it even after it becomes obsolete, in case it's the final supported version. Even if I cannot play online, I'll still have access to most of the features introduced between 4.5 and 8.0. What mainly interests me is Miiverse's screencap feature. Though now that I think about it, I might not be able to use it after 8.0 becomes obsolete if they force you to keep your firmware updated to the current version to use Miiverse. Do they?
Yes, it's perfectly safe. As long as you are actually in gateway mode. Just remember that play ds mode and going into system menu kicks you out of gateway mode. And if you backup your emunand first, you don't even have to deal with the annoying prompt popping up all the time.
As for miiverse, I was able to sign in with 7.1 but the page wouldn't load. So...I'm not sure either :P
I don't think it requires the latest firmware though.

Reactions: Blueie

ScarletCrystals

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've bought an 3ds with gateway 3ds. The fw on it is 2.0 PB. My question is: can i play virtual (eshop) console games on it and what tasks do i have to do so?
Out of curiosity, what region is PB?
And the first thing you should do is update your 3ds to between 4.1 and 4.5. You can do so by using a retail cartridge that comes with those firmwares.
You can check the firmware that the games come with here: http://3ds.essh.co/
under the firmware column. And make sure you're not connected to the internet when updating.
Then you have to update your gateway to omega 2.2. Go to gateway's homepage to download the required files then follow the instructions included in the zip file.

YamiWheeler

Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, silly question time. This is just to quell my fears that I won't screw up the firmware.

I'm gonna be buying a 3DS XL that has a serial number of SUF1010.

This is likely gonna be way below 4.1, so I'll need to upgrade.

Now, I have an Animal Crossing: New Leaf game (EU) that I played extensively on my other DS. According to this, Animal Crossing: New Leaf updates the 3DS to 4.5 firmware. However, since I played it on a 3DS who's firmware is a lot higher than 4.5, will it affect the new 3DS XL in any negative way? Will it still only update it to 4.5?

Like I said, probably a silly question, but I'd just like some reassurance. Thanks.

EDIT: If for some reason it isn't advisable, I think I'll buy Fire Emblem: Awakening instead. Might as well get a game for this that I'm likely to play.

ScarletCrystals

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, silly question time. This is just to quell my fears that I won't screw up the firmware.

I'm gonna be buying a 3DS XL that has a serial number of SUF1010.

This is likely gonna be way below 4.1, so I'll need to upgrade.

Now, I have an Animal Crossing: New Leaf game (EU) that I played extensively on my other DS. According to this, Animal Crossing: New Leaf updates the 3DS to 4.5 firmware. However, since I played it on a 3DS who's firmware is a lot higher than 4.5, will it affect the new 3DS XL in any negative way? Will it still only update it to 4.5?

Like I said, probably a silly question, but I'd just like some reassurance. Thanks.

EDIT: If for some reason it isn't advisable, I think I'll buy Fire Emblem: Awakening instead. Might as well get a game for this that I'm likely to play.
It's perfectly fine. As long as you turn off your net connection when updating.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not Ai women but women who's bodies are walking Atm machines
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds like scam bait
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    so they collect ''donations''?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well gofundme doesn't accept vagina they just do that off the site
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    guess they just sell spicy fling material
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wonder what kinda desperate depraved beings even need to go there
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gofundme or onlyfans?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, either
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny to see people start a gofundme for silly shit like a new game system, and then see them get free money, then think, not so funny after all.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gofundme for the homeless
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My dog used to chase off my neighbors cat from our yard, till one day the cat stood its ground, and paw slapped the shit out of my dog, now the cat wonders thru my yard, and my dog don't even care anymore, he's like f that cat. Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So just slap your dog when I'm climbing out urewifes window
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just use the front door, dumbass
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, what if you see him?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Then slap your dog?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He can tag me in...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah last time I just looked at bigonya and said the heavy works already done
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    That's @slaphappygamer 's job to slap
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh hi nick
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I think he's from Ohio
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ohhioh Nick
    +2