• Replies 53,769
  • Likes 43

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Hi,

I had an Nintendo 2DS, which I sold, and bought an Nintendo 3DS XL with Firmware < 4.5 and a Gateway 3DS

I watched a couple of Videos and read through some threads, but still have a couple of questions. It would be really nice if somebody was kind enough to help me.

1. I have retail copies of Pokemon Y, Mario Golf and Mario Kart 7. Is it possible to play them in classic mode or do I have play Rom versions?

2. Is it right that I can't play online right now? Doesn't matter if it is a Rom or retail copy.

3. If I can't use my bought Mario Golf or Pokemon Y, is it possible to play local multiplayer mode with a Mario Golf Rom or trade Pokemon?

Thanks in advance.
1. with pokemon and mario golf the save will not be usable in classic mode as they use 6.x save encryption they will still "work" but the saves will need to be deleted for them to play, the mario kart save will work fine.....but there are 2 versions of Mario kart, 1.0 which requires a update from eshop to play online and a 1.1 version which has the update pre-installed so that plays online without any need for eshop access (which is good considering there is no way to get eshop updates atm if you didnt already have them downloaded in emunand)

2. Online works fine for pretty much all games/roms, only problem games are games that require updates from the eshop as currently there is no way to get these, the 2 most notible games are pokemon X&Y and mario kart, but with mario kart there is a rom that is available with the update pre-installed......this isn't the case with pokemon though, there's currently no way around it unless you aleady downloaded it when there was eshop access

3. not sure about mario golf, but local trading/battling is only available with pokemon if you updated your emunand to 6.x or 7.x.....currently there is no way to update emunand* as doing so from system settings will update to 8.x which is not working

*there is someone saying its possible to update via a retail cart if you use the 2.0b1 classic mode here...http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_fo...ide-to-using-a-retail-cart-to-upgrade-emunand

but im not sure that would work...if you really want to do local trading/battling you could give it a try, but i have no idea if it actually works, or if it would be safe to do so

zergslayer69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Darn, so you can't play locally with other people for newer games. I was hoping to be able to locally play smash with a 4.5 3ds and a 3ds with the digital version of smash from the eshop. I guess the gateway is mainly for single player then aside from the really old 3ds games?

Also I have a question about regions, if I buy a canada 3ds for use with NA games, as long as I don't touch the eshop (I can't with 4.5 anyways) and only stick with gateway stuff, I'm ok?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Darn, so you can't play locally with other people for newer games. I was hoping to be able to locally play smash with a 4.5 3ds and a 3ds with the digital version of smash from the eshop. I guess the gateway is mainly for single player then aside from the really old 3ds games?

Also I have a question about regions, if I buy a canada 3ds for use with NA games, as long as I don't touch the eshop (I can't with 4.5 anyways) and only stick with gateway stuff, I'm ok?
assuming gateway release this new update that fixes 7.x encryption, you would be able to update emunand to 8.x and use local multiplayer.....its as close to guaranteed as you can get that Nintendo will be using 7.x encryption on smash bros, so even if using a retail cart, until gateway release the fix, there will be no way to play it even in classic mode

zergslayer69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ah, well I think I read on one of the threads that gateway will release an update in the next few weeks. Hopefully soon!

Also, for those that bought the gateway upon initial release and those that buy it today, have there been any major hardware revisions that would make the newer ones much more recommended to have?

And I was told the blue card installs some hack into the 3ds to allow the red card to play the 3ds roms. Do you need to do that everytime you change games or restart the device? And more importantly, if in sleep mode with the gateway in 3ds mode, will it keep drawing power like how the ds flashcarts do? Apparently the ds cards like the dstwo will continue drawing power even with the 3ds closed as if it were actively running, which kills your battery overnight really fast.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
the blue card install only needs to be done again if you
A) run any DS games/flashcards
B)edit certain settings such as user name
other than that you can do pretty much anything and not have to re-install the exploit

as for power consumption some people said it draws more power, but i havent really noticed a major difference tbh....but i didnt ever really time it, suppose if your worried you can just shut down the 3ds or pop the card out when your not using it

zergslayer69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Great responses so far. Did they ever fix the region lock with the gateway? Are we able to play jp games on a NA system? And did gateway say anything about fixing compatibility with nand saving games like animal crossing? Or are those games just out of luck?

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: Mylink5

zergslayer69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wait, what is this about saving a game? Does the game not save within the game's save feature?

And do you have to quit to the main menu of the 3ds to switch games? Or is there a button combo to bring up a game list?

Closet Nerd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a launch day 3ds with the ambassador games downloaded. I'm still on fw 4.1.

Question - once gateway is set up, can I still play those games and fool around with the mii crap?

Makoto Yuki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I just got the GW. So I'm asking some questions to clear things up

1 : I read the manual that you can back up save game from a retail card. If so, can I use its save for the rom of the same game (Pokemon) ? and how if possible.
2 : I've been planning to buy a Powersave, but I heard it only works with retail card? Is this true or it can work with GW as well?

Please help, thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto