• Replies 53,714
  • Likes 43

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
OK, at my wits end here. So far I've not needed to create an emuNAND, but now I've decided to make one to flash to my sysNAND using the hardware mod.
I've tried 2 SDs so far but each time when I format the cards it no progress bar appears or it does and the bar doesn't fill up. I've tried waiting anyway for 20+ minutes and it also doesn't finish.

I then inspected the cards afterwards with gParted, it looks like Gateway has managed to make a 2.7GiB FAT32 partition for eShop and personal data but has 1GiB unallocated space which should be for the emuNAND that it hasn't managed to format with a filesystem.
If I'm not mistaken, that 1GB should be unallocated. It doesn't use a filesystem. So there is no error there at least... Of course it's still peculiar that the Gateway makes no visible progress on creating an EmuNAND...

stereowax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, quick question(s). So I've ordered my 3DS XL, it's on 4.3.0, and a Gateway card. Pretty much certain I've got everything right so far, all I'm a bit confused about is the EmuNAND part.

If Nintendo have just released firmware 8.0.0, then do I need to wait until Gateway support it before I can use the EmuNAND functionality at all? Or is there a way to get an older version of the system software on the SD card until Gateway release another update? And does any of this affect my ability to play (and save) Pokemon and Animal Crossing, or can I do that without needing EmuNAND?

Thanks!

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys, quick question(s). So I've ordered my 3DS XL, it's on 4.3.0, and a Gateway card. Pretty much certain I've got everything right so far, all I'm a bit confused about is the EmuNAND part.

If Nintendo have just released firmware 8.0.0, then do I need to wait until Gateway support it before I can use the EmuNAND functionality at all? Or is there a way to get an older version of the system software on the SD card until Gateway release another update? And does any of this affect my ability to play (and save) Pokemon and Animal Crossing, or can I do that without needing EmuNAND?

Thanks!
Right now EmuNAND 8.0 or higher isn't supported, so we need to wait for the Gateway Team to add compatibility for this. Luckily, they seem to already have a solution and are in the process of preparing it for release.
This also includes the ability to play 7.x-encrypted games. The most notable example of this is Tomodachi Life. Not many other games use this new encryption.
You do NOT need EmuNAND to play Pokémon or Animal Crossing. Just boot into Gateway mode and you're good to go, without ever setting up EmuNAND. Do mind, though, that local trades don't seem to work in Pokémon on an EmuNAND firmware below 6.1 and that you also need to download the patches from the eShop to play Pokémon online. (And this is impossible to do since the latest firmware isn't supported yet in EmuNAND.)

Reactions: stereowax

stereowax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Right now EmuNAND 8.0 or higher isn't supported, so we need to wait for the Gateway Team to add compatibility for this. Luckily, they seem to already have a solution and are in the process of preparing it for release.
This also includes the ability to play 7.x-encrypted games. The most notable example of this is Tomodachi Life. Not many other games use this new encryption.
You do NOT need EmuNAND to play Pokémon or Animal Crossing. Just boot into Gateway mode and you're good to go, without ever setting up EmuNAND. Do mind, though, that local trades don't seem to work in Pokémon on an EmuNAND firmware below 6.1 and that you also need to download the patches from the eShop to play Pokémon online. (And this is impossible to do since the latest firmware isn't supported yet in EmuNAND.)

OK I think I get it now, I'll wait until the GW guys release their update before delving into the EmuNAND stuff. I'm happy with what I can do at the moment anyway, it'll be the first time I've actually played a 3DS so I'll have plenty to mess around with outside of online play :)

zakarr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I've always pretty much known about Gateway and stuff but, is there a possibility that it will come to 8.x.x, I foolishly let my brother on my 6.x.x 3DS, Is there a future for me?

Nurio

That Kirby fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So what are the pros and cons of the different modes? Like gateway mode, classic, emunand? Do they each have a little quirk to watch out for?
Gateway mode allows you to play ROMs whereas Classic mode allows you to play retail cartridges.
Both of these modes are either a patched version of your SysNAND or your EmuNAND if available. For some things, you need an updated EmuNAND (or at least an EmuNAND past a certain version).

andremario81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys! Quick question. I just recently bought a 64gb micro sd card. I tried to put files on it to prep my gateway cart. I got all the files on but a large portion of the roms show up as blank white boxes. Some show up with their respective icons but the other ones show up blank. What can I do?

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys! Quick question. I just recently bought a 64gb micro sd card. I tried to put files on it to prep my gateway cart. I got all the files on but a large portion of the roms show up as blank white boxes. Some show up with their respective icons but the other ones show up blank. What can I do?

Format the card and try again, have you tested the card on h2? It might not be a genuine card especially with it being 64gb. Also It could be the rom itself, try putting them on one by one, I have a feeling It's the card though even though some are showing up.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Why do people recommend h2testw when fakeflashtest is better? (http://rmprepusb.blogspot.tw/2013/10/a-faster-test-for-fake-sd-cards-and-usb.html)
It tells you your results in seconds rather than hours, especially with larger cards (which can actually take days).
tbh I never really have to test anything generally as I only buy SD cards and flash drives from reputable sellers, and I have never had anything take DAYS to complete, I tested a friends 32GB card with h2testw and it took a couple of hours....but granted if that program works properly it would be better than h2testw....but I simply had not heard of it as I don't test a lot of cards anyway

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tbh I never really have to test anything generally as I only buy SD cards and flash drives from reputable sellers, and I have never had anything take DAYS to complete, I tested a friends 33GB card with h2testw and it took a couple of hours....but granted if that program works properly it would be better than h2testw....but I simply had not heard of it as I don't test a lot of cards anyway
Not that my words carry much weight, but I can vouch that it works :grog:

zergslayer69

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I always get my memory cards from amazon, great prices, and you won't have to worry if its legit or not. Saving an additional dollar or two on ebay is so not worth the risk.

scicol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If I'm not mistaken, that 1GB should be unallocated. It doesn't use a filesystem. So there is no error there at least... Of course it's still peculiar that the Gateway makes no visible progress on creating an EmuNAND...
Ah of course, you are right about the filesystem. Though putting back the launcher.dat on the card afterwards made the Gateway menu unable to load.

I've seen a emuNAND tool here that allows you to extract the emuNAND and the OP also claims that you can write this to the sysNAND using the hardware mod. I'm guessing I can do the same on Linux by dd if=/path/to/emuNANDpartition of=/path/to/sysNAND by using the hardware mod. I've tried writing the sysNAND to the emuNAND partition but that obviously resulted in failure.

I'd like to get my emuNAND onto the sysNAND because I want resolve moving some eShop purchases from my bricked returned 3DS to my new one, but obviously I'd want the purchases restored to my emuNAND, not my sysNAND.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: