Gaming 3DS Game Icons

Should there be an effort to dump more icons?

• Yes

Votes: 75 90.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 9.6%

• Total voters

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
My point is that the icon is a very, very, very small portion of the ROM, and not really important to gameplay. Therefore there is little to no chance of legal action being taken, and if legal action is taken it may very well fail.
Taking legal action is a completly different matter. Most illegal activities don't result in taking legal action. The point is those icons are part of a ROM, they are sold with those ROMs and sharing them won't result in legal action but nonetheless the fact remains that sharing them is not legal, no matter the size. Of course I couldn't care less if people share those icons, all I intended was to inform the OP that sharing those icons might not be allowed here.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Taking legal action is a completly different matter. Most illegal activities don't result in taking legal action. The point is those icons are part of a ROM, they are sold with those ROMs and sharing them won't result in legal action but nonetheless the fact remains that sharing them is not legal, no matter the size. Of course I couldn't care less if people share those icons, all I intended was to inform the OP that sharing those icons might not be allowed here.
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107
My point being item #3 there, that the part shared is an insignificant portion (and arguments of it being used for news could be made as well if this was done for a release list or something).

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All arguing aside, I have a friend who can get about 1000 icons or so from the eShop games.

Anyone interested? I asked if he could just make a ZIP file with all of them.

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what I am most impressed by, as well as interested in. How exactly did you do that??? Was it with the dev unit you have???
Well I already had the Mii Maker icon dumped from my dev unit. But I got the rest of the system app icons in a similar way which is other 3ds icons are obtained, under certain conditions NAND apps won't be cached first in the cache, allowing me to fill those slots with game icons. So now I could create the XOR pads where the system app icons will be written. Then I got the 3ds to write the system icons to those slots, and simply decrypted the extdata.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I already had the Mii Maker icon dumped from my dev unit. But I got the rest of the system app icons in a similar way which is other 3ds icons are obtained, under certain conditions NAND apps won't be cached first in the cache, allowing me to fill those slots with game icons. So now I could create the XOR pads where the system app icons will be written. Then I got the 3ds to write the system icons to those slots, and simply decrypted the extdata.

You changed your avatar, so it took me a little while to find your post. I don't like change......it makes me apply effort..... :(

Reactions: Rydian and 3DSGuy

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BUMP! Updated 3DS_IconDecrypter to version 0.2, the useage should make more sense now. And the download at Filetrip has executable files for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. The source code is also available for anyone who wants to use it.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107
My point being item #3 there, that the part shared is an insignificant portion (and arguments of it being used for news could be made as well if this was done for a release list or something).
Point #3 is flawed because it supposedly allows the sharing of ROM parts as long as they are small enough. So this means you can rar up a ROM, split it in lets say 100 bytes chunks and share those archives, right? RIGHT?

Anyway, too bad that US laws don't apply to gbatemp since gbatemp is located in france.

Queno138

Ravens
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Anyway, too bad that US laws don't apply to gbatemp since gbatemp is located in france.

I can't tell if you are trolling, or you actually want gbaTEMP to become defunct...

-- Getting back on topic--

Since true icon rips from 3DS games don't exist, I'd thought I'd make a first and share icons from various 3DS games in PNG format and the its original SMDH format

Good job mate. Kudos to you!

Reactions: 3DSGuy

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I can't tell if you are trolling, or you actually want gbaTEMP to become defunct...
No I'm serious. I lied about my previous post where I claimed I couldn't care less if people share those icons. And I lied about only wanting to inform the OP that this might not be allowed here. Truth is I want gbatemp to "defunct", destroyed and wiped from the internet along with its many idiot users. Why? Because I am an antisocial prick with no life and a Carlton avatar :p1ng:.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Point #3 is flawed because it supposedly allows the sharing of ROM parts as long as they are small enough. So this means you can rar up a ROM, split it in lets say 100 bytes chunks and share those archives, right? RIGHT?
No, because that's sharing the whole thing.

Whereas this is not.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So you claim that sharing 10 out of 1000000 rar'd up archive chunks of a ROM is not illegal?
You didn't specify last time that you would only share a small portion of it, you said you'd rar it, split it, and share those archives (which means all of them).

If you're only sharing a very very small portion (and likewise it's of something that's useless without all the parts), there's no problem.

You know, like how people put up screenshots of a game or use the names and info in walkthroughs, etc.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can also use NDSCRC to download all NDS icons and release nfo. (it will also download covers and screenshot, so it will take more space than you expect, but you'll have all the icons)

Ribacki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I like this idea of extracting the icons a lot since they're all very pretty.
I manage to extract some icons and will get more in the coming days. I'll be sure to post it here when I do.

They're all from USA region (North America).

First batch:
(demo) Mario & Luigi - Dream Team
(demo) Pokémon - Mistery Dungeon
(demo) Naruto - Powerful Shippuden
(video) A Link Between Worlds
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Art Of Balance
BitTrip
Crashmo
Link's Awakening
MegaMan
Mario & Donkey Kong - Minis On The Move
Nintendo Video
Zelda - Oracle Of Ages
Zelda - Oracle Of Seasons
Pushmo
Swap Notes
Tetris Axis
The Legend of Zelda
Download link

They're all eShop games, except Animal Crossing, which I extracted from a game card (not sure if it makes difference).
Thanks a lot for the tutorial, 3DSGuy!
Thanks for everyone else for sharing your icons. =D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.