Hacking 3DS Flashcart

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo could just allow indie game developers to publish their games via 3DSWare for free. That's what already happening on iPhone and Android. Then, we would have something resembling "homebrew" without the need for cracking the console.

Of course, Nintendo will never do that, as they are more paranoid about SDKs and game studios than Apple...

Concerning the flashcart discussion:
To allow homebrew, you need to A.) be able to execute custom code.
To allow game piracy, you need to B.) dump ROMs and C.) feed them to the console.
You can imagine a situation when you have one but not another.
On PS3 running their Linux, you have just A - homebrew but not piracy.
On Xbox360 with flashed DVD, you have just B and C - piracy but no homebrew.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a real shame because Sony was actually onto something when they let the PS3 boot linux...

It's absolutely no coincidence that less than a year after Sony disabled Linux support that the PS3 was hacked. The smart people that make hacks do so so their devices can do more than simply play games, since they could do it from the start via linux they didn't have to bother with the PS3... Once Sony took that away the smart people bent the system to their will. And once they did, as a form of passive aggression they allowed the system to play backups.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
koji2009 said:
It's a real shame because Sony was actually onto something when they let the PS3 boot linux...

It's absolutely no coincidence that less than a year after Sony disabled Linux support that the PS3 was hacked. The smart people that make hacks do so so their devices can do more than simply play games, since they could do it from the start via linux they didn't have to bother with the PS3... Once Sony took that away the smart people bent the system to their will. And once they did, as a form of passive aggression they allowed the system to play backups.

I thought the first PS3 hack was done via Linux and that's why they've disabled it... as I recall, some guy was intentionally freeing memory blocks in a specific way and got successful stack overflows...

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
With the ability to use a flash memory slot and have its firmware updated from the Internet, the 3DS is a sitting duck for a no-flashcart hack approach that involves very little network config DNS sorcery and sending a phony firmware update that the 3DS takes for granted as coming from Nintendo themselves, one that could split the 3DS' barriers wide open and allow ROM running from the SD slot without any flashcarts.

Many of you will complain that the DSi is in the same situation, but the only reason it hasn't been done is because there is so little interest. A new console will change that.

DryYoshi

Love child of Dry Bones and Yoshi
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I actually hope there won't be a Flashcart.
The reason to this is that I now see how much the market is suffering from them.
Some people use flashcarts for convenience (you didn't have to bring all your gamecarts with you), some because they don't have the money for games (like me), and others because they want to try a game before buying.
Since the first point is 'fixed' with the 3DS (you can now copy games to the internal memory) many people don't need a flashcard anymore. And again, I'm going to buy the games from now on to support the market, and now I've got more money than before. And for the third point (trying-before-buying): if you want to know if a game is worth a get, just read/watch a lot of reviews/gameplay video's.
The only problem with the 3DS is: too much epic games to choose from.
smile.gif
(that's also why I got a flashcart)

DryYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Rydian said:
DryYoshi said:
I actually hope there won't be a Flashcart.
The reason to this is that I now see how much the market is suffering from them.
http://gbatemp.net/t259065-nintendo-piracy...hind-poor-sales
O right, forgot about that post.
Still though....
I want to have a game collection now, with actual boxes on my shelf.
And I have less fun with downloaded games...
When I buy a game I'm like:
''Goddammit, THIS LEVEL IS ASS!!! But I have to get passed it because it's not like I have anything else to do! And it may get less assy later on.''
And when I download one:
''Goddammit, THIS LEVEL IS ASS!!! Let's play a different game.''

BTW: Updated first post

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Searinox said:
a no-flashcart hack approach that involves very little network config DNS sorcery and sending a phony firmware update that the 3DS takes for granted as coming from Nintendo themselves, one that could split the 3DS' barriers wide open and allow ROM running from the SD slot without any flashcarts.

You DO realize that these firmware updates have to be digitally signed and there's no f---ing way of calculating the key even having access to both encrypted and decrypted file ?

QUOTE(DryYoshi @ Oct 20 2010, 09:51 PM) Some people use flashcarts for convenience (you didn't have to bring all your gamecarts with you), some because they don't have the money for games (like me), and others because they want to try a game before buying.
Since the first point is 'fixed' with the 3DS (you can now copy games to the internal memory) many people don't need a flashcard anymore.

That's not true. You will only be able to store downloadable (3DSWare) games in the internal memory, not the fully-blown titles coming on gamecarts.

DryYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
pachura said:
DryYoshi said:
Some people use flashcarts for convenience (you didn't have to bring all your gamecarts with you), some because they don't have the money for games (like me), and others because they want to try a game before buying.
Since the first point is 'fixed' with the 3DS (you can now copy games to the internal memory) many people don't need a flashcard anymore.

That's not true. You will only be able to store downloadable (3DSWare) games in the internal memory, not the fully-blown titles coming on gamecarts.
I read some time ago that you could store retail games on the internal memory.
Now I'm sad that you can't
cry.gif

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Piracy should be a bitch do do. Mod chips or carts that take an hour to flash like the GBA days. None of this stupid easy stuff so every kid with a PC can do it!

There's supposed to be a natural difficulty curve to keep piracy obscure. DS flashcarts kinda brought the issue into the sunlight.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
trumpet-205 said:
Midna said:
Uh huh. Source pl0x. I'm sure it'll be hacked at one point, but how do you know it'll be a flashcart? You seen the PSP recently?
I don't have source on my comment, it is more of some guess works.

First, PSP is using UMD, which is optical storage media. It is not economical to produce blank UMD and let people burn it (one time burn BTW). In fact doing so will only get Sony pissed and went after them. That is way hacker went with memory card approach.

Second, 3DS will feature 3DS, DSi and possibly DS mode depending on the game. Thing is that SD card slot is only accessible in DSi or 3DS mode. No one has fully cracked DSi mode yet, and we don't even know how 3DS game will run. Unless Nintendo excludes DS mode in 3DS (which is possible, since old DS game can run in DSi mode), flashcart will continue to exist until DSi mode or 3DS mode is cracked, allowing SD card slot access.

Third, I'm confused by your statement.

QUOTEYou seem to assume that any cartridge hacked to work on there will load ROMs, and the only reason a homebrew only cart would arise is because the devs crippled it. What if the ROM files themselves are somehow encrypted? There could be many reasons why ROM loading might not work work.

My previous post meant that if there is a group of people producing flashcart, it is unreasonable to exclude ROM loading. Doing so will eliminate a lot of interested buyers. You want more people to buy stuff, not less. You seem to interpret my post as technical possibility.
But then, it still may not be possible without system file modification. No one saw GC USB Backup loading possible until DIOS MIOS, because the GC MIOS does not have access to the USB ports. And, (Credits to dmm) There is something existing called BC (BootCube, i call it) Which switches stuff on and off. Could it be the same with the 3DS? Probably.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
pachura said:
Searinox said:
a no-flashcart hack approach that involves very little network config DNS sorcery and sending a phony firmware update that the 3DS takes for granted as coming from Nintendo themselves, one that could split the 3DS' barriers wide open and allow ROM running from the SD slot without any flashcarts.

You DO realize that these firmware updates have to be digitally signed and there's no f---ing way of calculating the key even having access to both encrypted and decrypted file ?
The Nintendo DS also needed its encryption cracked before slot-1 flashcarts could work. Sure it will take a while. But whatever encryption the 3DS has to handle, a PC is superior at processing it.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Name a system that hasn't been hacked, and ask yourself "Why did I create this topic."

Time is an illusiion that moves at different intervals depending on who's keeping track. Either way, everything gets hacked, in time. I could ask questions that will obviously be answered in due time, or wait for the subject to become a reality first.

Yes the 3DS will be hacked, and it's a dumb question, but I don't blame the OTC for asking. I mean, "Who wouldn't want to be the first to ask?"

Pre-emptive strikes are expected, but I really don't care if the 3DS gets hacked. Hell, I hope it doesn't, and hopefully Nintendo will have a year or two of profit (they deserve it). I have a miraculous shelve of DS games, with rarities and colllectibles. Yeah, I pirate everything I can, but my real collection is admirable, and shows that I'm a true supporter.

I hope the 3DS never gets hacked, although I do hope that my old flashkarts work. What's up with that?

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing it may take a hardware mod to hack the 3DS. If their AP is as tough as they say it will be, I doubt a simple flashcart will be enough to get past the security. I will further guess that hacking the 3DS may force you to forget about 3DSware if you wish to play 3DS backups. But that's just guesses, I don't know anything for sure. I know squat about programming and hacking.

All I do know is that my ever bothering with a 3DS is very much so contingent on whether it ever gets hacked or not. No hack, no buy. I've been gaming since the '70's, I feel I have wasted quite enough money on video games over the years. No more. I get the games free, or I'm not bothering with them at all. Games bought for the express purpose of dumping for the scene are the ONLY exception. The only time I'll feel I didn't waste my money on a video game is when I can share it with everyone. And I really, truly, honestly don't care what anyone thinks about that.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will the 3DS eventually be hacked? Duh it will... but ask yourself this, has the DSi even been hacked yet? Answer: No.

Nintendo was smarter when it designed the DSi, learned a lot of lessons about security and thus made both the private and public keys harder to obtain.

QUOTE said:
But whatever encryption the 3DS has to handle, a PC is superior at processing it.
Ahh ignorance is bliss isn't it? AES encryption isn't a simple matter of processing... Unless of course you consider a code that would take a modern top of the line PC several million years to decypt powerful enough for the task.

The only way you're ever going to get the correct keys is from an exploit allowing the public and/or private keys to be dumped from a real system. Either or will work (private key is less prize worthy, but someone with their private key may be able to gain access to more controls and get the public key).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...