KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
caffolote said:
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=153665

GoNintendo just confirmed that using a flashcart WILL brick your 3DS. Even Nintendo made notice here. Things just got interesting
Even then (as if it was new) it sounds like your flashcart will brick the device not Nintendo.

Putting *will* there is a scare tactic.

I think I seen things like that before.

Would you even think twice about the warning if they said could or would in there?

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
My personal view.....

1) Disable services if a Flashcard is found/detected

or

2) 3DS will record a 'history usage' & if the 3DS goes in for repair (or possibly it will 'transmit' this info during any WiFi connection - remember each 3DS will have it's own unique ID code, so they'll know which 3DS is using what)
- Nintendo will examine this & 'see' what was last used/being used..... they can claim this 'feature' as a 'diagnostic log' to circumvent any legal issue

> Then they can determine if it 's a flashcard being used & how it's circumventing the 3DS
> Find a way to 'block' it & finally producing a firmware update which is then transmitted automatically & picked up when you next connect to a Wifi connection

I don't think they will 'Brick' the 3DS only 'Block'
- after all, what would happen if someone in Nintendo does a mistake in the firmware programming & it detects genuine cards as 'fakes' - Nintendo will have an awful lot of bricked 3DS to repair then

Rockym

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems to me that these warnings and antipiracy measures only relate to 3DS specific games. This new warning was printed on a game box, not the actual 3DS box, and its a 3rd party game to boot. Has anyone confirmed that the log in the 3DS records the actual name of the game that was last played for DS games as well as 3DS games? It may be like the Wii, where when you play a GC game, it just logs that you played a GC game and doesn't log the name of the game. The 3DS could just log that you played a DS game.
Also, "unauthorized devices" could mean Action Replays as well. And Nintendo already lost a lawsuit many years ago when they tried to stop cheat devices from being used in their systems (Game Genie on the NES/SNES). So legally, you can use unauthorized devices on your systems, but companies can void your warranty if you do so.

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
A similar case of a company disabling hardware when you do something they don't like is that of Microsoft and the hard drive of the 360.
Microsoft have been pretty vigilant about banning modified XBOX360s from connecting to their Live service, but for a while, they also implemented something that corrupted the hard drive of a banned 360.
There was a significant uproar about this action at the time, and in more recent dashboard updates Microsoft have removed that mechanism and restored the hard drives to working order.

Seems to me that if Microsoft have tried to disable hardware and ended up having to re-enable it, Nintendo aren't likely to really try it, or get away with it if they do.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I can't believe these warnings have been given so much credence by games sites, Sony claimed that third party controllers would brick PS1s and no-one cared. If this even makes you think twice about fiddling with your system, I'm sorry, you're simple. It's no more ominous than any other ToS warning.

SuperTrever

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So they might brick your 3DS even if you're just playing homebrew? That's lame. Just to play it safe I'm just gonna go ahead and buy all the games I want. I didn't pay $250 for nothing.

Cartmanuk

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you, Rydian

You have more than answered this topic.

Yes nintendo will never brick a 3DS as the will get to many returns.

But they will block use of 3dwares dsiwares via there website.

Also any rumors on a logging system will not work because if you want to return as faulty unit. Just run a strong electro magnet over device to wipe everything.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Cartmanuk said:
Just run a strong electro magnet over device to wipe everything.

Modern solid state storage doesn't store data in the same magnetic fashion as old floppies and hard-drives, and so it dosn't have problems with magetic fields (although electrical fields are another matter). You're more likely to just put the screens into psychedelic rainbow mode, temporarily or permanently, depending on how strong the magnet is and how long you keep it there for.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Cartmanuk said:
Thank you, Rydian

You have more than answered this topic.

Yes nintendo will never brick a 3DS as the will get to many returns.

But they will block use of 3dwares dsiwares via there website.

Also any rumors on a logging system will not work because if you want to return as faulty unit. Just run a strong electro magnet over device to wipe everything.

flash memory != HDD

Oceanborn712

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
In addition to everything that's been said: Nintendo don't want you to stop using your console, they want you to stop using pirated software. If they completely shut down your device you wouldn't be able to buy any legit games anymore either and who would buy a 2nd console after the first one had been destroyed by Nintendo? Heck, even if you just buy a console and no games they're getting money from you and having you walk around with a 3DS is basicly a free ad for them. I wouldn't be surprised if the money they make from extra console sales to pirates plus the public exposition of their hardware was worth more to them than the income from the game sales, especially this early in it's life cycle.

Note that I'm not saying piracy doesn't hurt them, since it definately does by preventing 3rd party developers to bring more/better games to the system (and I'd be very happy with the 3DS not being hacked for a year or two.) Still, I only bought my original DS because I could pirate games, not having the money at that time. And later, having the hardware, I went and bought legit games when I felt the game was worth the money.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
You're more likely to just put the screens into psychedelic rainbow mode, temporarily or permanently, depending on how strong the magnet is and how long you keep it there for.

It only does that with CRTs (EDIT: maybe plasma too?). Just checked with a guitar amp to my monitor
wink.gif
, you saying that made me think I'd missed something about LCDs.

Saddamsdevil

Trophies
XP
Country
Alright. The system is a good, we established that.

What if the Game Launcher is seen as a program on the 3DS operating system...

If you insert an invalid serial key in some programs it stops the program from being usable. (or at least disable features)

The header ID of the game could be seen as a serial key.

Scenario;

Nintendo launches an update that renders the current flashcart unusable, meaning it will detect the spoofed header. People insert flash carts so they can play their games, not aware the ID has been blacklisted and it adds an acitivity log entry.

Next update; Nintendo obtains the log (doesn't even have to be the next update really).

License violation will be detected, you lose your right to use the features of the software, 3D mode, Streetpass, Online services, Firmware updates, etc.

Now, firmware updates might be required to play games from now on. The game detects 'dude you need to update. Shitty that you hacked me and you can't.'

Doesn't sound illegal to me.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Saddamsdevil said:
Doesn't sound illegal to me.

Illegal or not, it sounds like possibly the most retarded thing any company could do ever, we're going to punish you for pirating by banning you from buying our retail games and giving us money.

WhiteX

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
bigpaws said:
Rydian said:
I personally believe this rumor is false, for the following reasons.

[*]It's illegal in the US/UK.
If you are found to be using a flash cart or third-party accessory, Nintendo has the right to stop you from using their online services, because that is a service. However they do not have the right to brick your device, as it is a good. The law recognizes the clear difference between goods and services. While some may argue that the software on the device is still Nintendo's property that you're licensing, there's two counters.

• The hardware will not function as advertised without the software, so if Nintendo did purposely cripple the software or brick the device they could get sued in a heartbeat. For an easy example, check out the lawsuits Sony is under for removing a major function of their PS3 system software. This can be found under US court documents 3:10-cv-01975-RS and 3:10-cv-01811-EMC, though later some of the suits merged. In the UK people could skip the suit and were able to request a partial refund for their machine once OtherOS was removed, thanks to UK's consumer protection laws.
  • If Nintendo has the right to do this because you're just licensing the OS of the machine, then Microsoft has the right to brick your computer if you install something they don't like. Obviously this is not true and would never fly in a court of law.

[*]Other systems also warn against third-party modifications.
Checking out Nintendo's manuals (the PDFs for recent systems are available on their site), you'll notice that the GBA SP, GBA Micro, Gamecube, DS, DS Lite, and DSi/XL all warn against unauthorized third-party modifications.
1_gba_sp.jpg

2_gba_micro.jpg

3_gamecube.jpg

4_ds.jpg

5_ds_lite.jpg

6_dsixl1.jpg

6_dsixl2.jpg

6_dsixl3.jpg
You'll also note that the warning gets more severe as time goes on, up to where the DSi/XL actually has three warnings on one page, and even says that if you mod it people could collect your personal information! This just SCREAMS "fear mongering".

[*]The 3DS is already out in Japan and no such brickings have occurred, even though some of the most popular flash carts are being used on Japanese 3DS systems.
Don't even need an explanation here...
What you fail to relize is a change of wording that may be a change in meaning.
first is that if they gave you warning, doesnt that void such protection?
second is the change from may or might to will.

in my view, this changes the meaning from "your system could be bricked by unauthorized devices"
to
"we will brick your 3ds if you use an unauthorized device"

it may be just a scare but since it is warned, im not sure you could get away with a claim
it may not mean action now, but if it becomes a large issue, this warning should protect nintendo if they act

not saying i agree that they can or that they will but it gives them the option

A warning does not change the law, warning someone of an illicit act is not warning, it is a threat.

Z

Zorua

I call bullshit. Nintendo isn't allowed to legally do this. It is a clear violation of the EULA.

gameandmatch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dib said:
http://gbatemp.net/t282559-nintendo-is-so-...h-charlie-sheen

This happens every time there's a new system, or a new update, or new anything. All the pirates start balling about how Nintendo, Sony, et al are going to take away their pirated games. Why dispel the rumors when it's so much more fun to fuel them? I heard the 3DS has GPS tracking so Nintendo can send guys to your door if you play games without paying. Big guys with pipes. I saw a screenshot on a Japanese site one time of a Japanese guy being assaulted by a guy with a pipe that proves it.

Correction: "Some pirates"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: +1