Hacking 3DS Bricking Rumor

Oveneise

Trophies
Website
ACAdapterquotes.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
If it says in the TOS you can't use flashcarts, then Nintendo doesn't have to support you anymore with their system. I don't know about bricking the actual console, but I can see updates and such leaving your flashcart nonoperational.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dib said:
All the pirates start balling about how Nintendo, Sony, et al are going to take away their pirated games.Source?
All these rumors are coming from "news" sites wanting to grab attention.

dib said:
Why dispel the rumors when it's so much more fun to fuel them?Because that's trolling and only done by idiots.

QUOTE(dib @ Mar 22 2011, 09:18 PM)
I heard the 3DS has GPS tracking so Nintendo can send guys to your door if you play games without paying. Big guys with pipes. I saw a screenshot on a Japanese site one time of a Japanese guy being assaulted by a guy with a pipe that proves it.
I rest my case...

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DaemonSkillz said:
I'm quite confident that we will be fine with the first installed firmware at least.
Just dont update your 3ds firmware untill it has been tested with some of the most popular flash carts first.
Umm no. I actually want all of the features of the May update.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
I personally believe this rumor is false, for the following reasons.

[*]It's illegal in the US/UK.
If you are found to be using a flash cart or third-party accessory, Nintendo has the right to stop you from using their online services, because that is a service. However they do not have the right to brick your device, as it is a good. The law recognizes the clear difference between goods and services. While some may argue that the software on the device is still Nintendo's property that you're licensing, there's two counters.

• The hardware will not function as advertised without the software, so if Nintendo did purposely cripple the software or brick the device they could get sued in a heartbeat. For an easy example, check out the lawsuits Sony is under for removing a major function of their PS3 system software. This can be found under US court documents 3:10-cv-01975-RS and 3:10-cv-01811-EMC, though later some of the suits merged. In the UK people could skip the suit and were able to request a partial refund for their machine once OtherOS was removed, thanks to UK's consumer protection laws.
  • If Nintendo has the right to do this because you're just licensing the OS of the machine, then Microsoft has the right to brick your computer if you install something they don't like. Obviously this is not true and would never fly in a court of law.

[*]Other systems also warn against third-party modifications.
Checking out Nintendo's manuals (the PDFs for recent systems are available on their site), you'll notice that the GBA SP, GBA Micro, Gamecube, DS, DS Lite, and DSi/XL all warn against unauthorized third-party modifications.
1_gba_sp.jpg

2_gba_micro.jpg

3_gamecube.jpg

4_ds.jpg

5_ds_lite.jpg

6_dsixl1.jpg

6_dsixl2.jpg

6_dsixl3.jpg
You'll also note that the warning gets more severe as time goes on, up to where the DSi/XL actually has three warnings on one page, and even says that if you mod it people could collect your personal information! This just SCREAMS "fear mongering".

[*]The 3DS is already out in Japan and no such brickings have occurred, even though some of the most popular flash carts are being used on Japanese 3DS systems.
Don't even need an explanation here...
What you fail to relize is a change of wording that may be a change in meaning.
first is that if they gave you warning, doesnt that void such protection?
second is the change from may or might to will.

in my view, this changes the meaning from "your system could be bricked by unauthorized devices"
to
"we will brick your 3ds if you use an unauthorized device"

it may be just a scare but since it is warned, im not sure you could get away with a claim
it may not mean action now, but if it becomes a large issue, this warning should protect nintendo if they act

not saying i agree that they can or that they will but it gives them the option

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lompoc said:
i read it olny bricks with firmware update if you use a flashcart. so dont update if you use a cart.

but dont some flashcards work with the 3DS update already?

lompoc

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the next update will detect your 3ds for brick if you use flashcart. so acekard2i i dont want update to 3ds thanks so we dont get trapped in a brick system

lordrand11

The Wheel of Time Turns and Ages Come And Pass.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just gotta be honest as it is right now I don't really feel the 3DS is worth purchasing what with the lineup they have. Seriously the only one I'm interested in is Pilotwings Resort and that doesn't seem to be all that worth it. I'll wait until the big names come out and wait it out to see what Nintendo does.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lordrand11 said:
I just gotta be honest as it is right now I don't really feel the 3DS is worth purchasing what with the lineup they have. Seriously the only one I'm interested in is Pilotwings Resort and that doesn't seem to be all that worth it. I'll wait until the big names come out and wait it out to see what Nintendo does.
Not to be rude, but...what does that have to due with this topic other than the fact that it's about the 3DS?

lordrand11

The Wheel of Time Turns and Ages Come And Pass.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
lordrand11 said:
Not to be rude, but...what does that have to due with this topic other than the fact that it's about the 3DS?

Well, good call it didn't necessarily have anything to do with the topic however I was stating my opinion on the Unit and the fear-mongering Nintendo's been pressing around. Which to put in a nutshell was I'll wait and see before I buy.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
bigpaws said:
first is that if they gave you warning, doesnt that void such protection?No. Giving somebody prior warning that you're going to do something illegal does not make the act (when done) legal. That's preposterous. If I tell somebody that if they call me names one more time I'm going to stab them, and they do it and I stab them, I'm going to get in trouble for stabbing them.

lompoc said:
i read it olny bricks with firmware update if you use a flashcart. so dont update if you use a cart.There have been no brickings, so this info is bullshit.

QUOTE(lompoc @ Mar 22 2011, 10:59 PM)
the next update will detect your 3ds for brick if you use flashcart. so acekard2i i dont want update to 3ds thanks so we dont get trapped in a brick system
Where did you get that info from?

People need to give sources for their bullshit "info" or it's going to be outright ignored.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I keep saying, if Nintendo can detect flashcarts, why would they just log and not block them? In regards to DS games, I see no situation where you can detect a flashcart and not block it. Nintendo blocked all flashcarts originally on the 3DS. Flashcarts updated, so now they work. If they work, they are not detected. If they are not detected, they are not logged (except as whatever game they pretend to be). So the only thing it could possibly ever do is log an attempted flashcart use that is blocked. Easy away around this - don't use a flashcart on updated firmware until your flashcart has been updated.

This whole thing is a scare tactic and nothing more, the end. As has also been mentioned in other threads, there's too much liability all around for it to be anywhere near practical, as I've said above, anywhere near feasible.

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
I find it interesting that they have changed the wording from may to will.

If they say that using unauthorised accessories will render the game and/or system unplayable, then as soon as someone uses an unauthorised accessory and the game and system remain playable it makes a lie of their statement.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
spiritofcat said:
I find it interesting that they have changed the wording from may to will.

If they say that using unauthorised accessories will render the game and/or system unplayable, then as soon as someone uses an unauthorised accessory and the game and system remain playable it makes a lie of their statement.
And as stated, many current flash carts run on the Japanese 3DS just fine.

It is odd that the warning making people piss their pants for the 8th time is on a game box.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s