Hacking 3DS Bricking Rumor

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Namco51 said:
I wouldn't put any faith in that message. By definition a 3rd party stylus or a pair of headphones would be considered an unlicensed device. Think about the implications of the 3DS having a "self-destruct" button that WILL go off when it detects an "unauthorized" device. Nintendo would not put their install base in such a vulnerable position where a MadKatz accessory or Action Replay device would brick a million 3DSs.
Actually, they wouldn't fit the criteria. They said 3rd party modifications, not devices.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Namco51 said:
I wouldn't put any faith in that message. By definition a 3rd party stylus or a pair of headphones would be considered an unlicensed device. Think about the implications of the 3DS having a "self-destruct" button that WILL go off when it detects an "unauthorized" device. Nintendo would not put their install base in such a vulnerable position where a MadKatz accessory or Action Replay device would brick a million 3DSs.
Actually, they wouldn't fit the criteria. They said 3rd party modifications, not devices.

Which in turn would mean a flashcart, a "3rd party DEVICE" (not modification, does not modify the 3DS) shouldn't brick the damn thing anyways.

EDIT: They DO say device. not just mods.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
machomuu said:
Namco51 said:

Which in turn would mean a flashcart, a "3rd party DEVICE" (not modification, does not modify the 3DS) shouldn't brick the damn thing anyways.

I was talking about Rydian in the second post (and apparently before it was modified with the 2 manuals), sorry.

D

Deleted User

Probably been stated before, but oh well, a bit of confirmation:

Nintendo can't brick it. It's illegal.

Even if you hack a system to do illegal things, they're suddenly not able to commit a crime. And violating the EULA doesn't give them the legal right, thankfully, to brick a system. EULA =/= Law. Once you buy a system, you are in ownership of it and can do to it what you please. Plus hacking it in the first place isn't illegal - running pirated content is. However again, that said, Nintendo are in no legal position to do the bricking.

Source? Lawyer friend.
wink.gif

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
http://nintendo3dsblog.com/proof-nintendo-...-want-you-to-do

Even though what Rydian says is true. The warning is still there. Personnally, I really don't care about the bricking but it would be disastrous for all gaming companies. Why? Well, Sony made his move. Maybe, Nintendo will be next. And what about Microsoft? It would be a consumers vs. game developers war.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
I agree with what rydian says in page one, nintendo has no right to brick your system. First, its illegal and if nintendo has a right to brick your system, they have as much a right to destryoy your 3DS with a hammer in your sleep. The least they can do is updates embedded in games, like the wii. Thats as close aa forced updates and system bricking as they can legally get.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
warmijwilfaain said:
Probably been stated before, but oh well, a bit of confirmation:

Nintendo can't brick it. It's illegal.

Even if you hack a system to do illegal things, they're suddenly not able to commit a crime. And violating the EULA doesn't give them the legal right, thankfully, to brick a system. EULA =/= Law. Once you buy a system, you are in ownership of it and can do to it what you please. Plus hacking it in the first place isn't illegal - running pirated content is. However again, that said, Nintendo are in no legal position to do the bricking.

Source? Lawyer friend.
wink.gif
Who? Me?

Makar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gamefan5 said:
It's kind of Ironic. Most people claim that Ninty bricking 3DS is illegal. However, piracy is also illegal(in most countries). So, if people pirate either way, what makes you think that they won't brick the consoles?

...because it's illegal. As people have said many times, two wrongs don't make a right.

Also, you are assuming that flashcards are only meant for illegal uses, which of course is false.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gamefan5 said:
It's kind of Ironic. Most people claim that Ninty bricking 3DS is illegal. However, piracy is also illegal(in most countries). So, if people pirate either way, what makes you think that they won't brick the consoles?
Flashcart =/= Piracy

Flashcart may lead to piracy

Ignorance isn't always bliss.

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Makar said:
gamefan5 said:

...because it's illegal. As people have said many times, two wrongs don't make a right.

Also, you are assuming that flashcards are only meant for illegal uses, which of course is false.
I never said that. It has great uses like homebrew. But you should know that they won't care for that.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gamefan5 said:
Makar said:
gamefan5 said:

I never said that. It has great uses like homebrew. But you should know that they won't care for that.
No, but you implied it.

Also, the latter part isn't true.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gamefan5 said:

Even though what Rydian says is true. The warning is still there. Personnally, I really don't care about the bricking but it would be disastrous for all gaming companies. Why? Well, Sony made his move. Maybe, Nintendo will be next. And what about Microsoft? It would be a consumers vs. game developers war.
Consumer Vs. Game Developers. Hmm. Don't game developers get their money from the consumers? They make the product, we buy it, they make their money to make more products for us to buy? Doesn't that mean that if they do something we don't like, we don't have to buy from them, thereby they lose money and have to learn that we didn't like what they did? Or do they just think they are so invincible that they can do whatever and assume that the government will protect them from bankruptcy when nobody buys from them and they are not "Essential" to our Economy?

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
machomuu said:
gamefan5 said:
Makar said:
gamefan5 said:

No, but you implied it.

I didn't in any way. And how come? If I offended you I'm sorry...

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dimensional said:
gamefan5 said:

Consumer Vs. Game Developers. Hmm. Don't game developers get their money from the consumers? They make the product, we buy it, they make their money to make more products for us to buy? Doesn't that mean that if they do something we don't like, we don't have to buy from them, thereby they lose money and have to learn that we didn't like what they did? Or do they just think they are so invincible that they can do whatever and assume that the government will protect them from bankruptcy when nobody buys from them and they are not "Essential" to our Economy?
I like your answer.
smile.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gamefan5 said:
machomuu said:
gamefan5 said:
Makar said:
gamefan5 said:

No, but you implied it.

I didn't in any way. And how come?
You implied it by saying "However, piracy is also illegal" and never mention its other uses until a later post, thus the implication is that it is used solely as a piracy unit.

Also, for the latter question, DS emulation is homebrew and people (including myself) love that.

Anyway, we should get back on topic.

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
machomuu said:
gamefan5 said:
machomuu said:
gamefan5 said:
Makar said:
gamefan5 said:

No, but you implied it.

I didn't in any way. And how come?
You implied it by saying "However, piracy is also illegal" and never mention its other uses until a later post, thus the implication is that it is used solely as a piracy unit.

Also, for the latter question, DS emulation is homebrew and people (including myself) love that.

Anyway, we should get back on topic.
Agreed...
frown.gif
(note to self: always think before commenting)

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schlupi said:
machomuu said:
Namco51 said:

So in other words, they want to monopolize that industry? Make it so that there isn't any competition for things, like headphones or styluses,? If you don't buy it directly from Nintendo, it will brick your system? It would be like Microsoft releasing an update to their XBox 360 firmware that blocked all 3rd party accessories. That would be them trying to monopolize it. It might be their hardware, but they shouldn't be forcing people to only buy their accessories. They have to accept 3rd party, even some things that aren't approved by them, as long as it doesn't infringe upon the software or allow for illegal actions, like piracy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse