Hacking 3DS 6.3 Exploit Found

irondoom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I believe is that now piracy on 3DS is something serious. It is really starting now with this exploit, because everybody can get a 6.3 Nintendo 3DS.

What I also believe is that Nintendo will now start to find everything to stop us from using such exploits.

Yes this is very true. Such an exploit is very serious because it affects a larger user base and lower barrier (i.e. no need to purchase new flashcart) and the implications for piracy are much bigger. I really do not blame people at all for not wanting to release things like this, even with motivations purely of homebrew. It is very hard to know what the end result will be.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
or he will give it to another flashcard team so people will need to buy another flashcard ¬¬ viva anti piracy moralism

Uhm no. From what I can tell, it still uses the mset DS profile exploit. (6.1+ only patched the second stage code loading method spawned from it, but not the actual entry point). Thus current flashcarts should still be able to use this new exploit without needing a new hardware revision to their flashcart hardware. Not sure where you got that idea.

Also this means that the new 2DS console is likely exploitable now as I heard it comes with 6.1/6.3 out of the box.

Regardless of whether or not he releases this exploit, the flashcart companies (particularly Gateway) might have not given finding a new exploit priority since they couldn't be sure if they'd ever find anything. ut this pretty much confirms it for them and now they will pursue it full throttle. There's nothing proprietery about what Smealum did, so it's only a matter of time before Gateway and company find it on their own.

So flashcarts working on 6.3 is inevitable now. :D

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or increases it drastically... many people I knew in College bought a Wii because of the security flaws in the system and the possibility of a region free system.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/piracy-common-myths.344858/

That is all.

Piracy kills game systems.
There is no correlation between systems that fail (or succeed) and piracy. Multiple systems have failed terribly without any piracy in their lifetime (Virtual Boy, N-Gage, CD-i), while other systems that had piracy enabled for the majority of their lifetime ended up being some of the top sellers of their generation (PS1, Wii, GBA, DS, etc.)

This holds true for games as well, for example the PS3 was the last console of the 7th generation to be hacked (and patched the hacks quickly and recent models are unhackable), yet it sold many less games than the Wii, which was the first to be hacked (and does not patch hacks quickly, and still has hackable models being sold).

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In b4 piracy kills console sales.

Piracy doesn't kill console sales, heck, it generally promotes them. It's just the game sales that get affected. It's minimal though, and as the pool of console owners increases, so does the likelihood of some of those owners buying more games. In short, though it's kind of skewed and difficult to moralize, piracy does actually help console sales.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy doesn't kill console sales, heck, it generally promotes them. It's just the game sales that get affected. It's minimal though, and as the pool of console owners increases, so does the likelihood of some of those owners buying more games. In short, though it's kind of skewed and difficult to moralize, piracy does actually help console sales.

I was being sarcastic, and I'm well aware, which is why I linked this :P http://gbatemp.net/threads/piracy-common-myths.344858/

Tell that to the DS. Piracy was much more prominent on that console, and yet it sold like hot cakes. Don't say game sales took a hit either as I'm sure most decently built games still sold pretty well on it.

See above link to the piracy thread ;)

Just pointing out the fallacies in arguments that people say it's a detriment when it's not. The DS sold nearly 200,000,000.

Reactions: Vappy

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
lol well either way perhaps this is great timing. I'm trying to save up to buy a 3DS again, and getting a 6.3 console would be much cheaper then trying to buy a 4.5 console as I'm sure those are going for a premium right now.

Perhaps in the next month or two when I finally get a 3DS is when the 6.3 exploit gets leaked...I mean released. :P

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol well either way perhaps this is great timing. I'm trying to save up to buy a 3DS again, and getting a 6.3 console would be much cheaper then trying to buy a 4.5 console as I'm sure those are going for a premium right now. :P

Yeah, and I was just talking to some people the other day on how I might be giving the 3DS another chance, man, the hacking scene's getting better.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah 4.5 consoles are obsolete now. Any competent buyer would know that 6.3 consoles would be a better investment even if they have to wait a while for the flashcarts to catch on to it.

Hopefully for this exploit, a flash card won't be necessary and that it's a soft mod installed via SD, those of which are dirty cheap even for a 16 or 32 GB card. Either way, this is one helluva breakthrough :D

Starry Windy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I'm glad that means the flashcarts will support 6.3 consoles in no time, especially when I heard that any 3DS with 4.5 firmware will be hard to find. This might mean I can buy a spare 3DS XL, or even a 2DS to boot the exploit.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
How do we know its not running from emunand?
Gateway could add GW to firmware number, so injecting exploit should be possible.

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great job Smea! Makes me wish I didn't update to 7.1 haha. Hopefully in the future that won't be an issue :P

This exploit seems to be executed in the same way (via DS Profile) I wonder what makes it different from the previous one.

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
A custom CFW or softmod that allows game piracy (or backups for those inclined to stay legit) isn't going to come out of the flashcart industry. They would be undermining their own business model.

Currently most of the competent homebrew coders seem hell bent on trying to avoid this. Though Smealum more relaxed about this (judging from his blog post and such and generally seems better to get along with, though I've never directly communicated with him) and probably won't put in AP measures. At least none that would undermine the usefulness of the released software (*Cough..Devolution...Cough*). He's more concerned about the final product being stable and not bricking consoles.

He'll probably gear his CFW towards home brew and it simply won't be designed to allow game backups/piracy which is fine with me.

If the flashcart companies hired coders, it's only a matter of time before those coders get fired or leave the company. Then they may decide to release their own exploit software that reroutes game card reads to files on the main SD card.

What I'm really looking forward too is the eventual release of a homebrew video/music player. I never understood why Nintendo limited video recording/playback to 10-15 minutes. Seriously Nintendo? The 3DS is probably the cheapest mainstream device with 3D capability and you gimp it to 10 minutes? :(

Well nothing homebrew can't fix! I remember the good ol days with the rise of the DPG scene with Moonshell. Back in the day I recall encoding quite a few movies to watch on my DS. Now imagine something like that for the 3DS, ONLY IN F***KING 3D B***CHES! :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny