Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the ZX Spectrum emulator for DS has been updated. Changelog:

QUOTE said:
+ Peer-to-peer WiFi multiplayer for 2 players.
+ SZX snapshots support.
* RZX playback now supports external snapshots.
* Save slots now use SZX instead of Z80. Existing Z80 slot files are still loaded, though,
and you can delete them manually once you don't need/want to keep them.
* Save slots now save the associated tape/disk into a separate file if needed as well.
Disk is saved once and then only whenever it is modified, tape is saved
only once and only if it is not positioned at the begining or the very end.
* Lot of internal changes (save states cache, icon buffering, bigger file buffer).
* Few subtle TRDOS fixes (eject during sector write, access to high tracks of SD disks).
* Subtle changes (2x faster change to parent directory, no cd to zip in zip, WiFi IPC sync).
* Changed grayscale palette to match the luminance of the real Spectrum.
! Happy birthday, Martijn.

get it here: http://zxds.raxoft.cz/

Reactions: hectortillo

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jurassicplayer said:
Lol I think this should have gone to user submitted news or homebrew news, but meh xD. Thanks for the info.

Oh..ok will post there
tongue.gif

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
ninjaapple said:
the graphics for that console really sucks!

Man you suck !

First, ' that ' is not a console, but one of the earliest and most successful home microcomputer ( personal computers of the 80's ) and it was one of the first to have a high resolution graphic ( compared to the others, often blocky text mode only computers, 256x182 for that time it was like 1080p of today ), and one of the first capable of output colors and sound ( the simple, but incredible beeper chip ), was a hige success from 1982 to the early 90's, and it happened to be my first computer as well.
Although by 1985/86 it started to show it's limitation, it didn't stop programmers with lots of dedication from porting over seemingly impossible to port arcade games or games from advanced platforms of the time ( like the Amiga, Atari ST and so on ), but the real shine were of course the original games designed for it.
The beauty about the Spectrum was that it was fairly easy to program and develop for it, it was a simple machine after all, there fore it spawned a generation of users who could actually code.
Most european coders today that are in their 30's must have started on a Spectrum at some point.
So that particular system, holds a lot of memories and nostalgia for a different time , and believe it or not, there is still people out there programming new games for it in 2011, that's nearly 30 years after the computer was launched.
Now, would you think that a system with such a legacy really, simply " sucks " ?
Besides, with the marvelous ZXDS , playing Spectrum games on the DS made it actually better than the original by improving a lot of things like loading times , redefinible controls, and on a 512MB SD card you can store thousand of games !
But even from a purely technical point of view , regardless of the machine emulated, ZXDS must be one of the best portable emulator around for any system, it's just very well crafted.

Xuio

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Arm73 said:
But even from a purely technical point of view , regardless of the machine emulated, ZXDS must be one of the best portable emulator around for any system, it's just very well crafted.

Quote for truth.

guinness

Trophies
XP
Country
Arm73 said:
ninjaapple said:
the graphics for that console really sucks!

Man you suck !

First, ' that ' is not a console, but one of the earliest and most successful home microcomputer ( personal computers of the 80's ) and it was one of the first to have a high resolution graphic ( compared to the others, often blocky text mode only computers, 256x182 for that time it was like 1080p of today ), and one of the first capable of output colors and sound ( the simple, but incredible beeper chip ), was a hige success from 1982 to the early 90's, and it happened to be my first computer as well.
Although by 1985/86 it started to show it's limitation, it didn't stop programmers with lots of dedication from porting over seemingly impossible to port arcade games or games from advanced platforms of the time ( like the Amiga, Atari ST and so on ), but the real shine were of course the original games designed for it.
The beauty about the Spectrum was that it was fairly easy to program and develop for it, it was a simple machine after all, there fore it spawned a generation of users who could actually code.
Most european coders today that are in their 30's must have started on a Spectrum at some point.
So that particular system, holds a lot of memories and nostalgia for a different time , and believe it or not, there is still people out there programming new games for it in 2011, that's nearly 30 years after the computer was launched.
Now, would you think that a system with such a legacy really, simply " sucks " ?
Besides, with the marvelous ZXDS , playing Spectrum games on the DS made it actually better than the original by improving a lot of things like loading times , redefinible controls, and on a 512MB SD card you can store thousand of games !

I was a C64 man myself, but still I agree with every word you said, the speccy was a fantastic machine. People these days don't realise that they owe every aspect of the games they play today to the inovation of the bedroom programmers on these older machines. The graphics may not have been great by todays standards, but the games had far more replay value. I'm still playing them to this day, and was writing for the C64 well into the 90's.

dudereno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I share Arm73's comments regarding the ZXDS. Its the most comprehensive emulator for the DS. Adding many features that enhance the enjoyment of playing the many thousands of Speccy games/apps

I can also understand people born long after the ZX Spectrum who think the "console" sucks. You had to be there at the time to appreciate what a landmark in popular computing the Spectrum was. It enabled the "Average Joe" a basic yet affordable device, in which to learn programming and play quirky original games. Many a British software house such as Codemasters, started out developing Spectrum titles.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
This is becoming the Speccy appreciation thread isn't it ???

I too agree - I was one of the many owners of the Speccy.. so much I even had the 'follow-up' Speccy's (I gave up once Sinclair sold out to Amstrad) - funny enough I STILL have a Speccy stored away

- even though the follow-ups weren't much better they STILL gave many people the opportunity of learning about 'computers' and programming - Hell !! I even remember typing out long Hex listing from magazines in the hope of actually getting a 'free game'

I never followed up on the programming but it still gave me an understanding of stucturing & logical progression which helps where I work

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I'm also in full agreement with you. I've fond memories of the spectrum from my childhood (my friends had 128k and +3 etc).
This emulator is such a sweet little spectrum and is my favorite as an actual DS program, its just amazing... full credit to the guy who made it.

guinness

Trophies
XP
Country
I was never aware of the Spectrum demoscene, but having just watched the Melange demo provided with this emulator, I have to see more. amazing stuff, and an amazing emulator too.

World of Spectrum, here I come.

dudereno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was one of the sad gits who used spend hours typing in the hex code games listing from Your Computer mag. Only to find out in later issues that they had missed a couple of lines of code. I never had any of the later amstrad models, though I did get through 6 48k devices thanks to Sinclair's legendary QA checking. The staff at my local rumblelows where I bought the original didn't need prompting when ever I brought another dead one back, they would simply shake their heads and scurry into the stock room for another replacement.

senkunmusashi

@!#?@!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Supernecro!

Just wondering if there's a .cia of ZXDS somewhere. Or if there's another standalone ZX Spectrum emulator which can be installed as a cia for the 3ds? Or is it all retroarch nowadays...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: got a mig switch here, freshly smuggled in from China