Zen Creative Mp3 Player

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Morgawr, Mar 3, 2009.

Mar 3, 2009

Zen Creative Mp3 Player by Morgawr at 9:55 PM (1,725 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. Morgawr
    OP

Member Morgawr GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    I've never been too fond of Apple and iPod brands. I never liked the trend of buying iStuff, every idiot and his friends in my school has got an iPod and I, myself, even though I recognize its quality on its own, think there are way better mp3 players around the market that really deserve to be bought just because they are good, not because they are trendy. Those players are Sony and Creative players, from my past experience I've been using a Sony mp3 player and it was really awesome, the battery lasted for MONTHS (yeah, unbelievably, everyday I have a 1 hour trip to school and it still lasted for 1 month). At the end though, a couple of months ago, my Sony mp3 player (1GB memory) died because it was old (4 years already) and since yesterday was my 19th birthday, my sister gave me a new mp3 player as a gift.

At first I was a little doubtful. It's a Creative Zen Mp3 player with a nice shape (not small, but not too big either) and a nice and bright screen, it can play almost any type of music and videos (coded in the right screen-size of course) and it can display pictures as well. It's got an expandable memory through SD card (no micro SD though D: ) and it's got native 2GB memory (it can come with bigger disks though, like 4,8 and 16 gb). As I said, I was doubtful because I never liked those little thing that can do "everything" -yes, I'm looking at you PSP/iPhone/Portable-DVD-players-. Mostly because those things usually are of mediocre quality, while being able to do anything, they can't excel at something. However, after putting some videos and music on my new mp3 player I was forced to change my mind.

The video quality is really stunning. It's bright, colorful and even though it's got a small resolution it's compressed and coded really well, you can basically see everything. I tried putting in a couple of episodes of Elfen Lied (an anime series) and I can see them almost better than on the PC, only with a smaller screen. As I said the colors are perfect and bright, the sound quality is perfect (mp3 player, duh) and the synchronization is how it should be, no delay or lag. I do really feel like I'll be using the video capability on my long bus rides to school, it's very well worth it!

That's why I thought it was worth mentioning something in here, to all those people who may want to try something different than the iBrands, to everyone who thinks the iPhone is God on Earth, or just to anybody who gives a fuck about this post...

Also, to anyone who's got the same mp3 player as I do, do you have any tips, any suggestion or just any opinions on it? Are there some hidden tricks to customize it even more? Do you know how I can change my background image beside those 6 default ones?

tl;dr: The Zen Creative Mp3 player is just awesome. Share your opinions!

2. jphriendly

Member jphriendly GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I currently own a Zen Vision: M 30GB as well as a Zen Stone 1GB (I use it in the car instead of burning CDs every time I want some new music. I also have an Ipod Shuffle 1GB but rarely use it anymore). These are the 4th/5th Creative mp3/video players I have bought. Not cause any of them broke, but because I have just never been disappointed with them. Battery life is amazing. The M has excellent video quality and plays a wide array of formats. I have also recommended them to many friends and have never gotten a complaint from any of them.

Bottom line, Creative makes some fantastic players. Just talk with anyone that own one and they will usually tell you the same. Glad to see some Creative love being spread. [​IMG]

*edit*
    For information on changing backgrounds and whatnot...check this site: PimpMyZen

3. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    I'm gonna sell my iPod Nano 4G someday for a Cowon D2+. Also I will buy Phonak Audeo PFE headphones with it....

Someday...

4. skunk123punk

Newcomer skunk123punk Member

United Kingdom
    What model of the Zen do you have, I have had quite a few creative players over the years and yes they have been great but without wanting to sound like a Apple fan boy, the Iphone/Ipod Touch is without doubt the best portable media device currently available. I only recently got myself a 16Gb Ipod Touch that I was so impressed I bought an Iphone to replace my Sony Walkman phone. With super clear video, excellent sound. Internet browsing, Wifi access and the ability to stream music, video and pictures from your PC using apps like Orb you cannot fail to be impressed. I often find myself watching TV programs using the BBC iPlayer (yes more "istuff") the quality is outstanding as well as listing to high quality internet radio stations.

My last Creative Zen Touch 20GB cost me £145 3 years ago. The 16GB Iphone was free on a £35 a 18 month contract that includes 600 min and unlimited texts, can't complain at that.

SkUnK

5. Morgawr
    OP

Member Morgawr GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    I know that the Apple iBrand stuff isn't bad, it's one of the best quality portable devices there is around and I recognize that. I didn't want to sound like someone bashing the iPhone/iTouch because I, myself, when I tried it was really surprise at how good it was, with all the portable devices yes, you guys are right saying it's probably the best on the market nowadays. What I don't like though is those kind of people, mostly in my school, who criticize others just because they don't own an iPod brand mp3 player, because they aren't "trendy". And also I just can't accept the fact that the iPod market is selling also because of idiots like those who just buy from Apple because else they won't get accepted in the group, while other brands are really good too, they just don't get what they really deserve ^^

My version of the Zen is this one:
    [​IMG]

but unfortunately I don't know how to view its model... I think my dad put the box in the trash can (arghh >_>) and the manual is pretty general, it doesn't say the model or anything. The picture is that one and now I'm a bit lazy to do the search myself XD What kind of model is that? [​IMG]
    (I actually tried to look around but everyone just calls it "Zen".. btw its disk space is 2GB)

6. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    I have a Meizu M6 8GB. I had a 30GB Zen but I love this Meizu so much I doubt I'll replace it unless the Meizu m8 comes to the US.

7. tomqman

Member tomqman This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.

United Kingdom
    wow i want one wait i have my iphone lol

8. Santee

Member Santee Jalapeño

United States
    yea i have the same model too and i was surprised on how good the video looked but i was disapionted on no aac suport or ac charger

9. blanco613

Member blanco613 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    my friend has an older zenn but yea they are really cool

10. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    I've used a Zen before, and it's a decent little player. Felt a bit on the cheap side, but felt durable enough for my standard. I didn't get a chance to listen to music off of it, but I have no doubts that my Sansa Clip would blow it out of the water in terms of SQ. Not saying it's bad though, but the Clip really spoiled me....

And if the Zen's video screen amazes you, you should go see the Cowon S9's AMOLED screen. There's nothing at the moment that has a better screen than the S9 at the moment. AMOLED + 3.3 inch + 16.7 million colors = VIDEO HEAVEN.

Considering the budget, I'd go with a Cowon D2 though, only because I have over 10 gigs of music in flac, which the Zen cannot play..... However, a Zen isn't a bad choice, considering the budget. Enjoy it while it lasts! [​IMG]

If ya want to upgrade, there's the Zen X-fi.

EDIT: It really sucks to see Creative go down the drain.... They made good products, but they're just ignoring the consumer bases now, and add what they think is useful, but just simply gimmicky.

11. Cablephish

Member Cablephish Show me...

Canada
    Creative's really gotta work on advertising, and image. Kinda like iPod does. That is, if they care about the product and are willing to stake something on it.

Creative has a great line of sound products. It's too bad they aren't popular.

12. TheGoldenKing

Newcomer TheGoldenKing Member

United States
    well i have the older one and if you add an image you can hit the little e button while the picture is open and there is an option that says set as wallpaper and well i don't know if it works on the new one but you can give it a try

13. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Lol, no, not really.

14. gblock247

Member gblock247 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have a 8gb Sansa Fuse, but I don't need the color screen (cause I dont watch video, I just want an mp3 player with a basic no frill monotone screen, something that's not a pain on the battery) .

I've seen some recommendations for the Clip, any others (no "i" products and preferably something that's drag n drop, no installing intrusive iTunes like software). Thanks [​IMG]

15. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    I have a Zen Vision:M 30gig as well as an iPod Touch 8gig (2G).

I love the Zen for the simplicity of adding music... just drag and drop onto the player, and done... I can also toss some movies, pictures, and use it as a backup drive.

lack of internal speakers is a drag, but it's a nice little player...

I use my iPod as more of a micro lappy... simple browsing websites, games, IM... my wife filled up the 8gig quite fast... I'm only using about 10gig of mine, but I also have a few movies (dark knight!)

16. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

are those wireless earphones??

17. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    No, they are not.

18. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    Ah I love creative zens, though I've got an ipod touch which is ok. The video quality is pretty good when you convert videos using iSquint on "Go nuts" quality. Though the quality isn't as crisp as it can be, but my touch is pretty good and keeps me entertained with a few apps. But the thing that really ticks me off is that ipods require their videos in mp4 format..

19. cocomonk22

Member cocomonk22 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This looks pretty good, I might get this or a Cowon. I just have an old generic 2gb mp3 player.

20. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I too have an ZEN, as in the pic above. I love it, it's so nice and cosy!
    And the battery life is amazing.

I've got an 8GB SD card with all my music on too [​IMG]