Hacking Zelda Majora's Mask romc Compression

kaepora

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I posted this in Jurai's romc thread, but realised it would be unlikely to be seen, as it's not very active...

I've been trying to inject the Collector's Edition of Majora's Mask into the official MM VC WAD, and the rom needs to be compressed form its full 32MB size to around 27MB (MM VC romc size).
But when I use the compression tool it reduces the rom to a tenth of it's size (32MB to about 3.3MB) - obviously this is too much (or little, you know what I mean). Any idea why?

Reason for doing this: I prefer the CE edition of MM to the original, and I don't want to use the GC disc if I don't have to. Obvious;y if anyone has tried this or has any other thoughts other than the actual problem above, do pipe up.
I've seen Master Quest injection WADs around - presumably ppl managed to pack the GC disc rom into the OoT WAD - was compression involved in that?

Advice on the compression issue would be handy though.

TIA and respect.
bow.gif

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only differences are the colors of the action buttons due to the GameCube's green A button and red B button and the pause screen's use and depiction of the L button as the left page scroller, as opposed to Z. Also, the manual states that due to the emulation some of the sounds have been altered from the originals. Aside from these, because it is only emulated (rather than altered for the new console), there are some timing discrepancies between the two consoles; some of the music sounds inaccurate on the GameCube and the frame rate is lower. The game also has a habit of freezing, unlike the Ocarina of Time port, causing unsaved data to be lost (this occurs much less often if the Rumble feature is off).[41] Despite these problems, the GameCube version has a cleaner look because it runs at a higher resolution than its Nintendo 64 counterpart.[41] In addition, the GameCube version supports component video connections and progressive scan (480p), and in PAL territories, 60 Hz.[41]

thank you wikipedia

kaepora

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Higher res graphics (640x480 vs 320x240), button colours+L-target text (I know that's just cosmetic).

I really would like to know the problem with the compression though. It could affect other roms and I have no idea why it is doing this. It does it on other Zelda roms I've extracted from the GC discs as well.

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
every 'program' that runs on your wii needs a ios to communicate with its hardware. doesn't matter if it's sm, game, vc, wiiware. i guess the ios used by your the games in your wad-files got patched with 4.0 update.

harryk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
I still don't understand ... WHY? The "official" Majora's WAD runs PERFECT and looks better than on N64, so why would you cry about button colors?

kaepora

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jumpman3: Cheers, I'll try that.

apcarr: Was the Master Quest released other than on the Zelda Bonus disc? I thought that was the only release and so imagined it would be in the 'same' (similar) format as the Collectors Edition disc roms (inc. Maj Mask).

To others: it's just something I want to try. I don't understand why others want to do certain things, I let them be. If this can't be done or it plays like crap, fine, but i want to try.

kaepora

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Both links are dead from 'NEW VC INJECTOR' thread, MegaUpload 'not found' (in German) and Mediafire doesn't get beyond 'Processing download'
Is it available anywhere else? (I have searched)

Supertag

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is my understanding that a .WAD file that uses a compressed ROM will require a compressed rom.

I was assuming before I read the entire topic that the problem was the ROM was a few KB too large and some subpar injector claimed it was too large.

Obviously, the issue here is the ROMC compressor is, for some reason, not functioning correctly. (as I assume 3.3MB is NOT a valid compressed ROM size for this game)

Ocarina of time did not use a compressed rom. You just replace the OOT rom with the OOT:MQ rom extracted from the "special promotion" GCN disk. No compression.

There is no such thing as "too large" for a N64 rom injection. The issue is nintendo's emulators are just abysmal at running other games.

For instance, I tried all of the WAD files out there and could not get Superman 64 to run on any of them .

JumpMan3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Supertag said:
It is my understanding that a .WAD file that uses a compressed ROM will require a compressed rom.

I was assuming before I read the entire topic that the problem was the ROM was a few KB too large and some subpar injector claimed it was too large.

Obviously, the issue here is the ROMC compressor is, for some reason, not functioning correctly. (as I assume 3.3MB is NOT a valid compressed ROM size for this game)

Ocarina of time did not use a compressed rom. You just replace the OOT rom with the OOT:MQ rom extracted from the "special promotion" GCN disk. No compression.

There is no such thing as "too large" for a N64 rom injection. The issue is nintendo's emulators are just abysmal at running other games.

For instance, I tried all of the WAD files out there and could not get Superman 64 to run on any of them .

lol superman 64

anyway if thats the case, idk what to tell you tc. don't know much about romc compressor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Procedures bullshit wait 4 months for graft to heal wait another four months the post to heal then get crown
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Only 1 tempycoin.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got kfc for dinner fucking dinner box is a joke
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just go gummy, ancientboi would like you better that way anyways, and you save money on toothbrushes/toothpaste
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @Sicklyboy I agree, but also it's about self control and realistic thinking. We wouldn't feed a dog soda, so why feed it to ourselves? Eating unhealthy food because it's cheap is one thing, but I'm sure you know people who drink soda routinely when they should be drinking water which is free.
    I get it can feel mean to say "no treat sweet beverage for you anymore" but for many people it's just in their way of life.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I drink soda twice out of the week
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Plus decay can start as young as 15 tons of factors
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Even sugar free isn't good, as the acid is bad enough.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    oh earlier than 15 Ken, babies, children can get decay
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So dentists give. Us these caps that'll last a few years to fight thrm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but babies get a new set
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Screw godfor not giving us a new adult set after we mess up
    +2
  • cearp @ cearp:
    "You listening up there big guy?"
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just smoke meth, all your dental problems will go away.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even steven
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I wonder why edibles haven't caught on for meth
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Locked down from government to dispensary
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In India it has, can't remember what its called yuka I think, they have a crisis like we have with fentanal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's why we need regulation :teach:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Speak to Psi, he'll offer you some in Tempycoin. :tpi:
    +1
  • OGSniper @ OGSniper:
    Day after day, we drink beer, Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Beer can be bad for your teeth
  • OGSniper @ OGSniper:
    Teeth? What Teeth?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Do crack instead. Beer is more of a depressant.
  • OGSniper @ OGSniper:
    I like taking trips without even leaving my house, if ya know what I mean.
    OGSniper @ OGSniper: I like taking trips without even leaving my house, if ya know what I mean.