Zelda-esque type games

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by decemberchild, Jul 3, 2013.

1. decemberchild
    OP

decemberchild latecomer

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2011
    United States
    Whenever someone thinks Nintendo, a few games come to mind: Mario, Pokemon and Zelda. If you look at the former, there have been many games that have tried to copy both Mario and Pokemon, but when you look at Zelda, there are very few. Most people cite Okami, which I haven't tried, and Darksiders, which feels nothing like Zelda. My question for you guys is why don't other studios try to copy what Nintendo has done with Zelda? I'm sure there would be a market for it.

2. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    There are certainly lookalikes out there. Faxanadu on the NES comes to mind. And while Mystic quest for the game boy was named 'final fantasy' (this was before FF became pretty much a type of it's own), it had a lot of Zelda-esque gameplay. And more recent: Onadyne (on steam).

So I don't think anyone is avoiding it. But what sets Zelda apart from Mario and pokémon is that the latter two have very recognizable gameplay. I mean...pretty much ANY 2D platformer in which you don't have weapons instantly reminds you of Mario. And I'd like to say "likewise for pokémon"...but I don't even know any clones of that game.

Zelda's main "thing", however, isn't the gameplay (plenty of other swords games out there). It's the brilliantly designed dungeons and more-or-less the same items and theme. Obviously that that isn't copied, as there is copying a game and blatantly ripping it off. And the latter would no doubtedly lead to court.

3. Osha

Osha Weh

Jun 19, 2012
    France
    There's Soleil on the Genesis which pretty much plays like Zelda. It's worth a playthrough.

4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Oh, you already mentioned Soleil.
    Maybe Legend of Thor (Genesis) too? I didn't play it yet, it's on my backlog, so maybe I'm wrong here.

I agree with Okami, for the alternate map/dungeon, but with less key/item/boss finding per dungeon. Great game, even if the intro could seems boring and too long. One hour intro is nothing when the game need 100Hours for 100% ;)
    I didn't know Darksiders was considered Zelda-like. I'll have to try it.
    I wouldn't consider Faxanadu as a Zelda game, it's more a Metroidvania than a Zelda.
    Mystic quest for GameBoy is actually Seiken Densetsu 1 (Secret of Mana series!), remade as Sword of Mana on GBA. nothing to do with Zelda (except dungeon exploration? and the per-screen area scrolling. But it's more RPG to me, as long as you gain Exp/levels)

Full Zelda genre clone, I can only think about 3D Dot Game Heroes on PS3, which is a Zelda 1 Clone/parody/homage? Very good game and nice dungeons.

I'm sure I played more Zelda-esque games (alternate outside world/dungeon/item/upgrades), but I can't remember them right now.

Edit:
    Damn, I forgot to list Alundra 1 (PSX)
    Mystical Ninja starring Goemon (N64)

There are derivate genre, users could think it has nothing like a Zelda game, but you might want to give it a try:
    - 3D Isometric: LandStalker, (Genesis), which is a good game.
    Lady Stalker too, but I never could play it more than few minutes, not as good as LandStalker.
    Maybe Light Crusader too? but controls seems awful.
    - dungeon-only games : Solstice (NES), Equinox (SNES).
    - Action-Adventure-only games: Illusion of Gaia (Snes), Terranigma (Snes). they are without a main map with multiple dungeons, you only follow the story.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  5. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THANK ME LATER!

Qtis and Cyan like this.
  6. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    You haven't tried Okami yet? If you like Zelda it's an amazing game. It is similar in many ways, but it also feels unique somehow. I love that game :P

7. nasune

nasune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    Netherlands
    What about Alundra? I have not played it myself, but I recall it being hailed as a decent ALttP clone.
    nvm. ninja'd by emigre :P

8. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I don't know Gurumin. I'm curious now :P
    Thanks emigre!

9. DS1

DS1 伝説の雀士

Feb 18, 2009
    United States
    Yes!
    There were quite a few clones for Genesis, but Crusader of Centy is the real standout.

I can definitely attest to Okami being a Zelda clone, though don't let that give you the idea that it's inferior.

10. EzekielRage

EzekielRage Hero of the Void

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void
    I played most Zelda clones, including story of thor (beyond oasis) and most of them just don't match up.
    Neutopia is pretty okay i guess, darksiders is not really like zelda though, and faxanadu is a hybrid between zelda and castlevania but a VERY GOOD ONE at that so faxanadu i highly recommend (use save states instead of passwords though).

perhaps you might even want to try out this game: http://www.ezekiel-rage.com/games/free-games/bahamut-between-light-and-shadow
    i made it myself and its a mix between zelda, emtroid and lufia i suppose. its far from perfect obviously but maybe you like it?

also, not zelda related but i HIGHLY recommend Enslaved - Odysey to the West fpr PS3/X360!

edit: Oh and ALUNDRA and TERRANIGMA are FANTASTIC!

11. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    A clone doesn't mean it's inferior or a cheap rip-off.

Thanks for Crusader of Centy, it looks great :)
    Added to my wishlist.

Edit:
    EzekielRage : I didn't know you made games.

12. EzekielRage

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void
    I know it doesnt mean inferior, i am just a very picky gamer that's all :)

i do make games, music, shortfilms and webvideos alongside my comics. jack of all trades, really. i am just not a big fan of spamming my work all over the place. probably a bad decision though since those are the people that get the most attention to their work.

back on tipic, i just saw that ALUNDRA is available on the PSN store in some regions!

13. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    There was a game on the NES called Startropics which was a reasonable knock off.

14. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    There's also Willow on NES.
    It looks like a (bad) Zelda 1 hack. :lol:
    but it was maybe a good looking game for his time.

15. decemberchild
    OP

decemberchild latecomer

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2011
    United States
    I actually have played Okami, but for some reason never could get into it. It was beautiful though, no doubt. So it seems that there are a few games: Alundra and 3d dot game heroes looking the best, but are there any that are in the same vein as the 3d Zeldas? It seems foolish to me that neither Sony nor Microsoft have their own Zelda-esque type game. It doesn't have to be a blatant rip off. Hell it could even be based in the future. I just want more of that type of gameplay and storytelling.

16. EzekielRage

Aug 21, 2012
    Australia
    The Void
    Try StarFox Adventures for GameCube. And, as said, tehre is Enslaved for PS3/X360 it is a little bit more linear but has fantastic characters and a great story. I can also recommend Beyond Good and Evil!

17. Sterling

Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

Jan 22, 2009
    United States
    Texas
    The Dark Cloud series (PS2) was Sony's answer to the Zelda series it seems. The first fell short, but the second really took it's place in the 3rd person dungeon crawling genre. Don't be surprised, they're really different, but some of the themes are pretty close.

18. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Dark Cloud 2 is a good one?
    I played only the beginning of the first one and it didn't gave me a good opinion (I think I found it empty and boring. I tested it a long time ago)

19. Fyrus

Fyrus Artilleur Carmin

Jul 6, 2010
    France
    Marseille - France
    No one mentioned Landstalker on the Mega Drive?
    Edit : oh wait...Cyan did...

20. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I did ;)
    in my first post. (genesis/megaDrive)