KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Here's something much simpler than my previous thread that was difficult to maintain. Simply list your five favorite movies with the director next to it in parentheses, akin to the "your favorite album" thread. Pretty simple this time. If you want, you can tell why you like it so much or something.

As for me, here's what my analytical sort of taste tells me:

1. Schindler's List (Spielberg)
- Incredibly powerful anti-war film that depicts the scenes and emotions with great force. The narration, artistic direction, and directing are all triumphant, paired with it's striking approach to real events.
2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Gondry)
- A combination of fantasy and romance, this odd and delightful flick manages to play at my heartstrings very well. Using the fictional side of the plot as a device, this manages to go deep into human emotions.
3. Citizen Kane (Welles)
- What can I say? This is the favorite movie of every old, watered down critic who refuses to acknowledge "Star Wars" as the best movie ever. I agree with them, this movie is an incredible feat of storytelling.
4. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick)
- At first, I had absolutely no idea what was happening, but once I did understand, that precision of it all astounded me. The perfection to every detail was so incredible. The best directed movie ever created possibly.
5. Spirited Away (Miyazaki)
- This anime movie manages to capture themes of Japanese mythology, dislocation, and unfamiliarity with a lot of fascination. The best animated movie I have ever seen, just inching out my second favorite, WALL-E.

justin05

Trophies
XP
Country
Leap Year
Sassy Girl(both American and Korean Version)
Arthur
500 Days of Summer
My Girl and I(Korean Movie)

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Top five movies, eh? Well, this is a rough draft of the list...

- Top Gun. Seriously, fighter jets set to 80's music. 'nuff said. Even better I have an old VHS of it around here somewhere that my dad recorded from the telly for me the first time it ever aired. It's so old the channel doesn't even exist any more, and it has those classic 80's adverts. I have the same going for Empire Strikes back too. Those ads are worth watching the film in crappy grainy VHS quality for.

- Scott Pilgrim VS The World/Advent Children Complete. 'Cause I can understand. I often feel like the world is against me
frown.gif
That and it has the music from Zelda. Tied with Advent Children Complete as they both have classic gaming aspects, they both involve a lot of fighting, and they both utterly defy the laws of physics in every fight scene.

- The Core/Deep Impact. Tied spot 'cause I like disaster movies where you actually see the disaster. The comet hitting the earth in Deep Impact was great, I love how it wasn't some brilliant plan to save the world at the last second and all's well. The Core I just find a fascinating concept. Everything they try right up until the end just seems to make things worse, and I love how it was us that fucked it all up in the first place.

- Guest House Paradiso. Richie and Eddie of Bottom fame running a hotel in classic Bottom style. Need I say more? If you've never seen this, go watch it. Right now. Feeeb!

- Empire Strikes Back. Because much like Deep Impact I love how not everybody wins. Luke gets fucked up for being so eager to prove himself, Han is frozen in carbonite, it's just such a swerve from the traditional 'goodies turn it all around in the last few seconds' ending. It dared to go there and not give the punters the good ending they all expected. I regretably never saw it in the cinemas but I can imagine the sounds people made the first time Vader uttered those words burned into our minds since time immemorial. It was a great film, great story, great effects, and it fucked with our minds. Classic in every sense of the word.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A top 5 is kind of difficult, because I know I will inevitably leave something out. Still, I'll give it a shot (in no particular order)

-John Carpenter's The Thing. This is probably the scariest film I have ever seen, and I am the kind of person who generally isn't frightened by movies. Everything in the movie is amazing; the cast, direction, the writing, the special effects, everything. It creates a real sense of tension and dread, and the ambiguous ending is impossible to forget.

- Terminator 2: Judgement Day. One of the greatest sequels of all time period, and probably James Cameron's best film (And this is the guy who made Aliens). This movie is very well written and, in some way, touching. At the same time, it has kick ass action scenes and revolutionary special effects that still hold up to this day.

- Day of the Dead. While Dawn of the Dead is often regarded as Romero's best zombie film, I would have to argue that Day is his true masterpiece. The special effects (especially the gore) far surpass that of Dawn's, the characters are more memorable (especially Captain Rhodes), and the central conflict is better realized. I would definitely say that this is the greatest zombie film ever made.

- Brazil. So, That Guy With The Glasses made a list of his 20 favorite movies, and this topped it at number 1. I was curious, wondering how good it could possibly be, and so I checked it out. I am so glad I did. This is Terry Gilliam at his finest, and from the bizarre, surreal imagery to the story of a dreamer trying to find freedom in a bureaucratic dystopia, it definitely leaves an impact. This is definitely worth checking out.

- Black Dynamite - I guess I should add a comedy to here, ya jive turkeys. When it was released, I feel like a lot of people failed to take note, which is a shame; it's a hysterical. Basically, it's a parody and loving homage to the Blaxploitation flicks of the 1970s, and imitates them, from hokey acting to bad cinematography to corny anti-smack themes. This is how you intentionally make a film so bad it's amazing. If you never heard of it, see it now. Seriously.

Wow, I just realized I had to leave a lot of stuff out. Time for some honorable mentions: Wes Craven's New Nightmare, The Evil Dead Trilogy, Children of Men, In Bruges, There Will Be Blood, Clerks, The Empire Strikes Back, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, The Dark Knight, Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, Up, The Incredibles...

Yeah, the list goes on.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
I wont be able to list which one is the best, but i did enjoy to great lengths.
Source Code
Gundam 00 the movie
Proffesor Layton: The eternal diva
Sherlock Holmes

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Spirited Away
2. Back to the Future parts 1+2 (tied)
3. Forrest Gump
4. Rocky 2
I can't think of 1 more at the moment, Howl's Moving Castle may be #5, though.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather post 5 movies I can watch repeatedly rather than try and name my 5 "favorites".

- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
- Kick-Ass
- The Goonies
- Back to the Future 1
- The Empire Strikes Back

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess another movie that really stuck with me was Kiki's Delivery service, it's not my favorite movie and it's not one of my favorite movies, however the majesty in this movie is amazing. The environments are incredibly realistic while maintaining a surreal air as you won't be able to find a place like that on the planet, it's rather breathtaking. Also, the characters are colorful, and while they give the movie a very "for kids" feel, it does have a darker side to it and really dabbles with the ingratitude and overall mean nature that is found in humans. The story isn't the greatest or deepest, but it is very interesting and is handled in very interesting ways.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1 - Star Wars - The Phantom Menace
2 - Mortal Kombat 2
3 - Star Wars - Attack of the Clones
4 - The Green Mile
5 - Transformers

I enjoyed all 6 Star Wars movies, but Revenge of the Sith was kinda dissapointing for me.
Spiderman, X-Men, Terminator, Stardust, Harry Potter and many, many other movies that are on my all time favourite list
smile.gif
. I guess there is really no particular order lol.

@A Gay Little Catboy
lol I need to give Children of Men a go. When I watched it back then.. the plot made little to no sense to me
tongue.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Gay Little Catboy said:
Across the Universe
Children of Men
The Boondock Saints
Summer Wars
The Secret of NIMH

In that order....although I would like to mention Sweeny Todd as well.
I really need to see Summer Wars, I hear it's really good.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
machomuu said:
A Gay Little Catboy said:
Across the Universe
Children of Men
The Boondock Saints
Summer Wars
The Secret of NIMH

In that order....although I would like o men xtion Sweeny Todd as well.
I really need to see Summer Wars, I hear it's really good.
Even though it is almost the same as Digimon the Movie (not a big shock there since it was made by the same guy) but still a damn good movie
@ Tanveer, Children of men isn't a straight forward movie and really isn't about what happened, but more about how people would react to something like that happening.

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back - Trying to pick out of the six was pretty hard but this is definitely the most enjoyable of them all.

Across The Universe - I watched this about a year or 2 ago. I'm not a big fan of musicals but it was very... lovely. Being a fan of The Beatles, this definitely takes its place as a top in my book.

Enter The Dragon - Classic Bruce Lee flick, imo. I swear I see this movie once every year and every time I do I find it to be more amazing than the last. If someone has never seen this (which I find hard to believe) then shame on you!

Batman Begins - Being my favorite superhero, I love the direction they took with Batman in this one.

The Room - Most hilarious film I've ever watched even if it weren't meant to be this way. I love Adult Swim for Playing this every April Fools Day.

This isn't in any order. I wouldn't know which one to put above the other but these are definitely my top favorite movies. I probably have others in mind to replace one or 2 of these but I can't think of them right now....

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blaze163 said:
- Empire Strikes Back. Because much like Deep Impact I love how not everybody wins. Luke gets fucked up for being so eager to prove himself, Han is frozen in carbonite, it's just such a swerve from the traditional 'goodies turn it all around in the last few seconds' ending. It dared to go there and not give the punters the good ending they all expected. I regretably never saw it in the cinemas but I can imagine the sounds people made the first time Vader uttered those words burned into our minds since time immemorial. It was a great film, great story, great effects, and it fucked with our minds. Classic in every sense of the word.

...spoiler alert much? jeez...

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
-Forrest Gump

-Final Fantasy: Advent Children-Complete

-That's What I Am

-The Shawshank Redemption

-Saving Private Ryan

-Shutter Island

-Pulp Fiction

-Fight Club

-I am Sam

Oh crap..looks like i went on too long...sorry about that.

I difficult to just choose 5.......

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Old8oy said:
Blaze163 said:

...spoiler alert much? jeez...

Seriously dude? The movie was released 31 years ago. If you haven't seen it by then, chances are you won't be seeing it soon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ