OP
Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Why and What this Does

I've never been able to get into the Yo-kai Watch games without the localized names bugging me, its stupid I know and I only watched 10 episodes of the Anime with subtitles so it really shouldn't be an issue but considering "Yokai" are Japanese folklore I'd prefer the Japanese Names and I like to use the Undub so having the Yokai say their name in Japanese but read the English is odd.

Which lead me to creating this patch! It will change all the Yokai names to the Romaji versions instead of the localized versions! this should be done through out the whole game including any dialogue that mentions them but considering I haven't done extensive testing, only playing a couple hours its very possible longer names will cause overflow in text boxes, I'm not quite sure how the game handles it since I haven't done any serious testing, I really should, it might cause a crash for all I know, but saving often and running this with Luma Game Patching should at least let you get around any issues if they pop-up.

Hopefully I caught all the Yokai Names, I started creating my scripts to change them all before Psychic Specters was out so some of the Yokai still didn't have official localized names and if I didn't go back and get them correctly they won't have changed to the Romanized versions.

Yokai Names seem to have a limit of 23 characters based on a Save Editor I took a look at so in theory no saves should be breaking due to keeping Yokai names romanized since the longest one seems to be 21 characters.

I've included a few of the NPCs as well like Nate = Keita, Katie = Fumi (Maybe it should be Fumika?), Bear = Kuma and Eddie = Kanchi, I'm unaware if there are other characters that would be better suited to a name change or not.

Besides names nothing in the dialogue is changed, so if a Yokai says something different like Bakurobā (Tattletell) uses "telltell" vs "Babān" it won't be changed, I haven't played enough of the game yet to know if this pops up, it might be worth looking into changing in the future but for now most of this was an automatic process once I created the name lists, actual dialogue would need to be gone over manually.

All the edits are to text related files so anything that is part of an image has been left untouched for example the map will still say "Katie's House" I don't know if I'll bother to change this since I would need to match the font for it to look right.

Screenshots

CdOzEEa.png
RNkuSZ4.png
RvcBigh.png

JHZS2dt.png
eTana4Y.png
DZCHoT8.png

How to Apply

Download is attached at the bottom of this post.

I can't exactly go distributing the whole English translation for the game so this is an XDelta Patch which is going to require some knowledge of getting at the romfs data either via extraction on PC or GodMode9.

First up, I created the XDelta Patch with the US version, hopefully the EU file is the same, lets start with some MD5s, that way you can check if the EU file will work since if it doesn't match it won't work.

The file we are working with is "yw2_lg_en.fa" notice the "_en" this patch is only going to make changes to the English Language in the game so not worth trying if you are playing in any other language.

MD5 Checksums
yw2_lg_en.fa (US): 776FA102D5A12D41FB8A8A4E4ABD036C
yw2_lg_en.fa (US, Patched Applied): F04CEE1B48A3C452F5E4B763D7A947B8

Now lets go through the steps of getting the file in question using GodMode9
  • Boot into GodMode9
  • Select "SYSNAND SD"
  • Select "title"
  • Select "00040000"
  • Select "001B2700" (US) "001B2800" (EU)
  • Select "content"
  • Select "00000000.app"
  • On the bottom screen select "NCCH image options..."
  • Select "Mount image to drive"
  • Now on the top screen you should see exefs, romfs, etc.
  • Select "romfs" the (dir) not the .bin
  • Select "yw2_lg_en.fa"
  • On the bottom screen select "Copy to 0:/gm9/out"
  • Once the copy is done you have the file needed for applying the patch, copy it to your PC however you choose, FTP, taking SD out.
I assume anyone who wants to get at the file on a PC would know how, not going to write that one up!

Now that we have the file we need to apply the XDelta Patch, it might be best to check the MD5 of your file first using something like "MD5 & SHA Checksum Utility"
  • Grab XDelta UI, a simple Google Search should do the job.
  • In the Patch Field you want to "Open" extract the file downloaded from this thread "yw2_lg_en_romajipatch_v1.xdelta"
  • Source File Field will be the "yw2_lg_en.fa" you got from your 3DS.
  • Output File can be named whatever but once on 3DS for Luma Patching it will need to be "yw2_lg_en.fa" might be best to call it "yw2_lg_en_romajipatch_v1.fa" so you know its the patched version for the time being.
  • Check the MD5 matches the one posted here.
Now that we have patched the file its just a matter of copying it over to the 3DS to use with Luma Game Patching.
  • Hold Select while booting 3DS to get Luma Settings.
  • Make sure you have "(x) Gaming Patching" so its Enable.
  • Copy the "yw2_lg_en_romajipatch_v1.fa" to "luma/titles/00040000001B2700/romfs/" (US) or "luma/titles/00040000001B2800/romfs/" (EU)
  • Now make sure its named "yw2_lg_en.fa".
  • Enjoy!
FAQ

Q: Will you make this for Bony Spirits/Fleshy Souls?
A: I waited for Psychic Specters to be out to create this in the first place so I don't really want to go back to the 2 separate versions, partly because Updates for BS/FS break the Undubs to some extent which is what I imagine this patch will be used with, in theory it wouldn't be hard to do I just don't quite see the reason and it would have to be applied on the base game and the updates.

Q: Will you do this for other languages?
A: Maybe? Are the Yokai names the same across languages? if so it shouldn't be too much trouble but I'd rather do it once I know there won't be a v2, v3, etc.

Q: What has been changed?
A: All Yokai Names and a few NPCs, lists can be found here and here, if I've made an error some where or missed something feel free to let me know.

Q: Will you do images in the future?
A: Unlikely, unless its something significant that you see often I'd prefer not to, just due to the hassle of matching the font and such, for example the game will still say "Katie's House" on the map even though she will now be "Fumi" when chatting to her, I personally don't feel like this is a huge deal.

Q: My Yokai Names are still the localized versions!
A: You messed up patching, unless you are talking about your personal Yokai, once you recruit them the name is part of your save data, if you want them Romanized you will have to use a Save Editor and do it manually, any future Yokai you get should be good unless the patch isn't working but you will know its not working just by battling.

Known Issues

• Eddie still used in some dialogue instead of Kanchi.
  • "Hey! Whisper! Gimme the watch for a second. I wanna play with it!" was mistakenly changed to "Hey! Whisper! Dorobokkun the watch for a second. I wanna play with it!"
Unless an issue is game breaking fixes will come as I find time.

Attachments

• yw2_lg_en_romajipatch_v1.zip
    296.1 KB · Views: 303
Last edited by DarkSynopsis,

Ophelia_Jam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I've been playing this patch alongside an undub and it works great! There's a few instances of things not being changed due to technicalities (for example, Dekanyan going "ME-GA-NYAAAAN" and Yakkai saying "Mistress Dedtime") but overall it's not a huge deal. But I've encountered an issue. As in, I'm softlocked. So there's a part in the late game where I need to use a Baffle Board to summon Ungai Sanmenkyō. Except ō is not a character I can input. And it doesn't even fit in the character limit, at least not with the space. I had the same issue with a sidequest pertaining to Horyuu, who has also been given a macron. I'm trying to fix this issue on my own, but Level-5 games are unfortunately comprised of my archenemy the .bin file so I haven't made much headway. I'm going to circumvent the issue by temporarily turning the patch off, but I thought I should post this comment to let future users know, since this is a great patch otherwise and I do recommend it.

Schifer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Incredible patch, it made me finally get into the games, and they are so much fun! Thank you!
As I'm finishing 2 I started looking around for a version of this patch for yokai watch 3 but couldn't find it. Does it exist?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)