Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
504x_yahoo_microsoft.jpg
QUOTE said:
At the corporate level, Microsoft and Yahoo have agreed on a search and advertising partnership, potentially raising their joint search share to 25 percent of the market. What users will notice, however, is Yahoo switching to Bing's search engine.

Update: The story went from sourced to officially announced after this post went up.

If you're a frequent web searcher concerned with Google's overwhelming hold on the market, this could be considered intriguingly helpful news. Bing's gained a foothold as an up-and-comer, at least among Lifehacker readers, and has won plaudits for its eyeball friendliness, rapid feature deployment, and, well, a lot of people like those big home page pictures. Microsoft and Bing hold about 8.4 percent of the search market, according to last month's ComScore research numbers, while Yahoo claimed 19.6 percent. Google continued to dominate with around 65 percent of search traffic.

On the other hand, if you're an advocate for web anonymity, or you happen to work in the U.S. Department of Justice's anti-trust division, you'll likely be keeping an eye out to see what happens. Bing and Yahoo trading search and advertising targeting information might not sit right with many web wanderers, and, in some ways, it decreases the value of Yahoo as a alternative to Google's data monopoly.

What's your take on the new link between Sunnyvale, CA and Redmond, WA? Could a stronger second-place competitor push Google into more innovation, or does such a move only seal up the search market even tighter? Tell us your take in the comments.

Source

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this was rather large economic news today. Hell I saw it on MSNBC (since I watch it a lot). I'll probably still stick to Google, since any person with half a brain will know what key words to type and get what they want.

gumbyscout

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this is bad
frown.gif
. I use yahoo for my email, but I would rather them not have any agreements with the evil pseudo-monopoly Micro$oft.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as if bing wasn't a gay enough name.
i used to have a yahoo email till i lost my password and they wouldn't give me a new one because i forgot who i said my childhood hero was, T.T then i got a gmail account and all is good.
Google is a pretty cool guy he searches the intarwebs and doesn't afraid of anything.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'll be sticking to google for now, though this partnership is interesting. Would be nice if google weren't so dominant in this market. Competition and all can be very healthy for improvements.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I prefer google, but bing's image search is quite nice. It just shows all results on one page, you just keep scrolling, and when you click one, it still has the rest down the side. But still, google is better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1