Xperia Play Questions

Discussion in 'Android' started by .Chris, Jun 22, 2011.

Jun 22, 2011

Xperia Play Questions by .Chris at 3:40 AM (901 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. .Chris
    OP

Member .Chris Pffft.

United States
    I have a few questions about the Xperia Play...

• If you buy it online, and use your current Sim Card, do you still have to pay for a Data Plan?
    • Could you unlock it, as in using different carriers, like T-Mobile?
    • I read somewhere that you can access the Playstation Store so that you could buy/download more games. If so, could you play downloaded PSP ISOs/Games?
    • Where is the cheapest place to buy the Xperia Play (besides bidding websites)?

That's all for now, I might have more later.

2. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    1) If you buy the handset online from an online retailer, and not a phone carrier, it should be an unlocked device. You will not have to pay for a data plan if you don't already have one (though I don't see why you wouldn't want a data plan with a smartphone, it kind of defeats the purpose).
    2) As stated above, if the handset is purchased from an online retailer, it should be unlocked already. If you buy it from a carrier, you'll have to get them to unlock it for you, or search online for other options.
    3) I'm not sure about this.
    4) Most retailers should be selling them at around the same price. Rogers up in Canada sells it for $549.99 without a contract, though it's probably still locked to the carrier regardless. Any unlocked handset should cost roughly $700 to $800.

3. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    3) no and no

4. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    1. You only need to pay for a data plan if you're planning to use 3G (unless you already have a data plan with your current SIM card). Otherwise, likely no.
    2. Only if you modify the bootloader. After googling it, I found this handy tutorial, but it'll likely void your warranty. And note that Canada has the GSM Xperia Play (for Rogers), while the US has the CDMA Xperia Play (for Verizon).
    3. The Xperia Play is simply a PS-certified Android phone. Nothing more, nothing less. It can't play PSP games. It can, however, play Android and PS Suite games (currently the only PS Suite game available is Crash Bandicoot, which is preloaded on the system). The PlayStation Suite will only serve PS1 games at first, but will later have exclusive games once the PSVita comes out (since the Vita will also have the PS Suite).
    4. I have no idea, since I bought mine offline.