Hacking XorTroll working on USB HDD Feature

D

Deleted User

It would be cool to plug in USB drives into the switch and use them as mass storage devices. Not just for games but for homebrew files music etc etc.

i am still waiting for this but just so you know android on switch support usb hd. Alot of people do not realize this.

Reactions: lordelan
D

Deleted User

Android on the switch with being unstable as it is I'll stay away from it.

yo i am laughing so hard at you. So hard. I take it based on here-say? Cause well never mind. Hey boss i am going to give you great advice in this life. Always make up your own mind and see for yourself. I would have missed out on so many games and books and movies and people if i took that approach to life.

logandzwon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For HDD?
exFat.

no exFat support on HOS. HOS will do large files on fat32 though. It just automatically treats the folder contents of folders with the archive bit set as a file.
IE;
mylargefile/00
mylargefile/01
mylargefile/02

Would be seen as a file between 8 and 12 gigs.

Last edited by logandzwon,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
no exFat support on HOS. HOS will do large files on fat32 though. It just automatically treats the door contents of folders with the archive bit set as a file.
IE;
mylargefile/00
mylargefile/01
mylargefile/02

Would be seen as a file between 8 and 12 gigs.
Don't know what this has to do with what has been asked for.
HOS supports exFat. It has a shitty driver but it supports it (if you mean Horizon OS with HOS).
As for SX OS and their HDD support, exFat is the best choice here. Just drop your XCI dumps there and mount them without having to get up from your couch to swap cartridges.
Those XCI files on an exFat HDD for SX OS can (of course) be bigger than 4 GB.

We all are aware, that Nintendo does split all installed games into chunks smaller than 4 GB (what you're referring to) even if your SD card is formatted in exFat just so any noob can swap SD cards easily by moving all files from one to the other no matter if moving from exFat to FAT32 or vice versa since all files in the Nintendo folder are small enough for FAT32, always.

logandzwon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know what this has to do with what has been asked for.
HOS supports exFat. It has a shitty driver but it supports it (if you mean Horizon OS with HOS).
As for SX OS and their HDD support, exFat is the best choice here. Just drop your XCI dumps there and mount them without having to get up from your couch to swap cartridges.
Those XCI files on an exFat HDD for SX OS can (of course) be bigger than 4 GB.

We all are aware, that Nintendo does split all installed games into chunks smaller than 4 GB (what you're referring to) even if your SD card is formatted in exFat just so any noob can swap SD cards easily by moving all files from one to the other no matter if moving from exFat to FAT32 or vice versa since all files in the Nintendo folder are small enough for FAT32, always.

What I was trying to say is that HOS supports large files on fat32 without exFat support using the split file method. The issue with exFat IS exFat. It is a stupid format prone to file corruption. You can split XCI and XCZ files and format your USB drive as fat32. It will be much less likely to become corrupted.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What exactly is "unstable" there? Everything's running fine on my end.
The wifi is terrible, the sleep is bad,the battery life is bad, the touch screen is bad, most apps are unavailible on the playstore, Most apps dont utillize the hardwares full potential, you cant switch orientation etc. Even with reimaging the problems dont go away. And I can never get it working the way it did the second time I flashed the os(on a card I accidentally formated). But when its working 100% its only serviceable anyways

Last edited by Deleted member 512337,
Reactions: angelhp

alcab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've tested the USB feature, but it looks like it's not compatible with the latest version of atmosphere. Hope this is explored in the near future.

Intronaut

A star maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I downloaded the last autobuild of the Goldleaf 0.9-dev branch and I compiled the lastest Xortroll's atmosphere fork. They both work very well with AMS 0.11.1. It's amazing! My HDD was recognized by Goldleaf and I was even able to install some NSP. Keep the good work! Looking forward to the official release.

For the people that have tried both builds: I realized that my install speed was about 150 kbps. Is that normal? I am asking because the cable that connects my hdd to the switch is a bit damaged and I don't have another way to try it because of the lockdown.

My setup: Goldleaf 0.9-dev + AMS_MITM.KIP compiled from the FSP-USB atmosphere fork + HDD 500 GB USB 2.0

I've tested the USB feature, but it looks like it's not compatible with the latest version of atmosphere. Hope this is explored in the near future.

I was looking at the source code and it seems that is not difficult to port the current code to AMS 0.12. Maybe I am wrong, but I think you only have to manually add Xortroll's lines to the lastest Atmosphere's amsmitm_module_management.cpp, and then you have to copy the fsp_usb folder to the ams_mitm's source folder. I haven't tried it yet, so I am not responsible if something goes wrong.

Intronaut

A star maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
OK, I got it working with AMS 0.12. I just made the changes that I specified in my previous post and I have not seen any bug not detected with AMS 0.11. Also, as the ams_mitm module was updated in AMS 0.12 with the new PRODINFO blanking function, I checked this functionality and it is working perfectly along fsp-usb.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @SylverReZ anything new in gaming?