Xenoblade Chronicles 3D

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by ponygals, May 25, 2015.

1. ponygals
    OP

ponygals GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2013
    United States
    California
    Has anyone played this game? Can you tell me if it is a hack and slash type of game or a Final Fantasy style game?

I really enjoy the hack and slash type games more like .Hack//Sign, Kingdom Hearts.

2. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
    MMO style
    real time with attack cooldowns

3. ponygals
    OP

ponygals GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2013
    United States
    California
    Not sure what style that is do you have an example?

4. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    The closest thing I can compare it to is FF XIII-2

5. ponygals
    OP

ponygals GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2013
    United States
    California
    Oh I think I get it n0w.

6. TanookiSuit

TanookiSuit GBAtemp Addict

Nov 11, 2004
    United States
    Louisville, KY
    I'm currently playing it. It's a turn based RPG, but it masks it very well behind the menus and the freedom of movement.

Basically in combat you can bait an enemy from a mass towards you, or run in and pick a fight (if they do not already.) There is no load in, it's right there. You only control the lead directly most the time. You can run wherever you like as the fight goes. You'll end up with a set of moves (eventually more than you can use so you pick your favorites.) As the seconds tick along your guy will strike automatically like in a turn based RPG. At any time though you can queue up in the menu one of those special moves and you'll do that, or you can queue up a special from your Monado blade to help you/others out, or thirdly when the bar fills over time you can control all 3 on the spot with a chain attack choosing which thing each of the 3 in the team does. All the while the monster will attack as its turn comes up just like a normal RPG. Because you have the freedom of movement, some of your strikes work best close, distant, side, or from the back for maximum effect which adds some strategy to it.

I hope that makes enough sense. I held off never buying this on Wii as I got so sickened by the systems handling I knew I wouldn't play it, but now that it's portable I hit it like 3x a week for a couple hours or more in bed in the evening on average and I'm at least looking at a faq online 1/2 through the game maybe. I don't do all the weird sidequests, but the ones that pop up and are done as I level up or go from A-B I make sure to do so I have like 2/3 of them down.

7. ponygals
    OP

ponygals GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2013
    United States
    California
    I think I get it, but how is Kingdom Hearts a turn based RPG? That game lets you hack and slash right away not take turns lol.