Gaming Xbox One's Backwards Compatibility with X360 games.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

Although I'm not an XO owner this is a really cool [upcoming] feature but despite loving the 360 for its library, liberty (legally allowed to transfer games, demos, videos, etc) and the controller I'll just never purchase an XO due to its inferior multiplats. That and the darn console looks way too freaking big.

The spines of XO in Europe/UK are really lifeless too, it's just a grey colour background with white text.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The spines of XO in Europe/UK are really lifeless too, it's just a grey colour background with white text.

FUKK ME YOU'RE RIGHT!!! Bastards! That's it, I'm selling it and buying a second PS4 etc etc.....:lol:
As an XO owner with a large 360 collection this was fabulous news (not the poor coloured spines bit, natch) - can't say I vaulted into the air like half the crowd at the conference seemed to do, but still it was very good news: too many quality 360 games for me to chuck it out from under my living room TV (as a reference point I gave my PS3 to my mum!), so it's still under there with the XO, PS4, Wii U, etc (and a mini PC). But its days are numbered, soon to be under my bedroom TV instead! :D
I actually have 2 Xbox 360s in the house, but still looking forward: gamer missus and 2 lads... imagine the multiplayer setup I can do since online works!

Was hoping Sony would follow suit by at least removing a payment for the PS3 games available on Now that you own (digitally at least) - perhaps they'll announce that soon!

'Holiday' release though, that's a shitter isn't it.... especially while Preview members have access to some already: quick beg coming up - if anyone on here's a preview member please feel free to send yer old pal muffy an invite and I'll love you forever and all that! :wub:

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Are all 360 games planned to be supported? Or is it limited like the old xbox games on 360?
It's going to be limited, it seems. Microsoft is taking a poll to see which 360 games are the most popular, so they get ported with priority. Stuff that used the 360's Kinect were confirmed to not be supported iirc. 360 games run on the One's hardware are also confirmed to have better load times, and less pop-in or fixed texture issues, compared to the original game.

Reactions: VinsCool

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's a good move on Microsoft's part. I still have no intention of touching an Xbox One, as it doesn't have any exclusives that interest me (neither did the 360, though I loved the original Xbox). I can see a lot of people being happy about this and it's good to see Microsoft consumers actually get something else that's consumer friendly.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually a part of the Xbox one preview program so I have gotten to play around with this stuff a bit.

Banjo Kazooie and Tooie run flawlessly, as well they should since they're simple arcade titles.

The way it works is, you download said title that you own digitally to your Xbone, boot the game, which will then take you past an Xbox 360 splash screen, followed by authenticating and signing in your Xbox 360 profile. After that, the game will play.

Now something to note. Signing in with the 360 profile will, obviously, sign it out anywhere else. So if you did hold onto your 360 (or have like 6 like I do) and if you happen to have little children that still play 360 games using the account that has live on it (like I do) it will kick them off, which will result in a lot of fighting over who gets to use the profile when.

Otherwise, the disc method also works fantastically. Simply putting in the disc will then have Xbox download some compatible files (pretty much it just downloads the disc, but still needs to check the disc to actually run it, like most Xbox One games today) and then boots up and goes.

It's all very seamless and works fantastically, I'll try to upload some screenshots using the Xbox One overlay soon.

Which is actually another point f interest, is the fact that you can now Screenshot, record, and stream the 360 content THROUGH the Xbox Ones built in apps such as Studio and Twitch.

Very very nice, can't wait to see more added to the ecosystem.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm actually a part of the Xbox one preview program so I have gotten to play around with this stuff a bit.

Banjo Kazooie and Tooie run flawlessly, as well they should since they're simple arcade titles.

The way it works is, you download said title that you own digitally to your Xbone, boot the game, which will then take you past an Xbox 360 splash screen, followed by authenticating and signing in your Xbox 360 profile. After that, the game will play.

Now something to note. Signing in with the 360 profile will, obviously, sign it out anywhere else. So if you did hold onto your 360 (or have like 6 like I do) and if you happen to have little children that still play 360 games using the account that has live on it (like I do) it will kick them off, which will result in a lot of fighting over who gets to use the profile when.

Otherwise, the disc method also works fantastically. Simply putting in the disc will then have Xbox download some compatible files (pretty much it just downloads the disc, but still needs to check the disc to actually run it, like most Xbox One games today) and then boots up and goes.

It's all very seamless and works fantastically, I'll try to upload some screenshots using the Xbox One overlay soon.

Which is actually another point f interest, is the fact that you can now Screenshot, record, and stream the 360 content THROUGH the Xbox Ones built in apps such as Studio and Twitch.

Very very nice, can't wait to see more added to the ecosystem.

I think this is good news, xbox one's current library is a little lacking. Depending on the compatibility, I may pick up an xbone - they're pretty damn cheap atm.

-Not to mention the fact that I love the Xbox one controller over the PS4s. I bought one just for my PC.

Reactions: chavosaur

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Good news all round.... I've got 2 Xbox 360s, and for some reason my license works on both, as in, every other account on both titles can play all my games etc... Rest of my family can use their own as a result. It's not a deal breaker, but it'll be interesting to see if both my 360s stay 'sharing' my account and on 360 mode I'll be a 'guest' on my XO, theoretically allowing me to play, say, online local with all three machines using the same game I bought (naturally it'd only be digital games)

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States

I tried this out, and it was really lame to realize that I can only have one account in use at a time. Especially when only one account isnt even gaming, and is just watching Netflix. Luckily, I just kept signing in on both systems, until they both managed to be online at the same time. Hopefully this isn't just a glitch, because I'd hate to only be able to use one system at a time.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted to make a quick note for those wondering about how licenses work on 360/x1. 360 games have DRM license at the console level and the Account Level but only one must be True for it to work. For example let's say "LiveAccount001" buys a game on "Xbox 360 1". You can play this game on this console using your account or any account including no account. However if you log into your account to another console "Xbox 360 2" and download the game you only play it using the same account. However there has been a work around since 2007 where you can transfer licenses to a new console. Because of the way this works you don't really lose your licenses for games you already downloaded on the original console. So in this order you can do this. Buy games on "Xbox 360 1" with "LiveAccount001", use the online DRM transfer tool and transfer licenses to "Xbox 360 2" (basically just need to make sure it's your last console you logged into). Redownload games with "LiveAccount001" to "Xbox 360 2". Now you can use "LiveAccount003" with "Xbox 360 1" and "LiveAccount002" with "Xbox 360 2" while still keeping your original account "LiveAccount001" free to use with other 360s/X1. Xbox One does things differently and prevents the infinite transfer thing for X1 games (unsure if it carries on to the 360 games but since the games are downloaded using the X1 method I assume it shares limitation). You can still keep one X1 console as your "Home Console" and be able to use games with that using a guest account while roaming with your purchase account on another X1 (requires online connection). Also as far as the 360s are concerned if you buy more games you must repeat the process and there is a 4 month wait between drm transfers for each console which could be a bit annoying for some (I personally don't mind it much since I wait for the sales to buy 360 games anyway).
Yeah this is what I did, hence having all my games on my account available across both 360s, with other family members using their own accounts to play my games.
On XO (like on PS4) you can share your Gold account across one console instead, allowing my kids etc to play online/use my purchases whilst only paying for one subscription. However, it dawned on me after my last post that my idea of using the Xo & 2 360s and playing the same game across 3 accounts won't work :( - I refuse to pay for more than one Gold account, so any other accounts on the 360s can't go online. Used to have the Gold Family which cost me £70pa as opposed to £40 for one account, giving me 4 accounts playing Gold, but they've got rid of that haven't they... bar stewards.

EDIT: Also found out the currently released games for Preview Members are either North American only or in some cases region free ones, so for all you guys wanting my love by offering me an invite, 'sokay I'm not bothered now, no love for you and all that :lol:

Last edited by mightymuffy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.