Xbox One X VS a gaming PC

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,767
  • Replies 16
D

Deleted User

OP
I am thinking of buying a gaming PC or Xbox One X because my laptop is shit. In Australia the 1TB Xbox One X with one controller is $650 AUD.

I'm reluctant to buy a gaming PC because of the higher price, Denuvo and the need to buy a copy of Windows 10.

I'm reluctant to buy an Xbox One X because some games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 don't offer 60fps on consoles and some games control better with a mouse and Keyboard.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're ready to get rid of/use less the laptop, I'd do a PC. If not, the OneX seems like it could be found for a deal somewhere.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
If it's really an option, a mid range gaming PC. If that's a bit out there in terms of immediate or even short term (6 month) budget? The one x. You're going to be investing more in the PC, but it will offer better performance for a longer time. I have the One X and we're at that point where I feel it will lose out to even a mid-low range pc within the next 18 months. Which, will probably have us seeing a new console anyways.

Reactions: Deleted User

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It seems to me that it mostly, if not exclusively depends on certain games you want to play. I mean... Denuvo isn't on all games (or even a majority), and only seldom leads to issues.

"the need to buy a copy of windows 10". Erm...I don't really get this one. I've always made my own PC from buying the components. It's slightly cheaper (I used my own version of windows) but not by a long shot. It's certainly less than a standalone windows version.

Also... Would Linux be an option? It takes some getting used to, but with some fiddling, quite some windows games work. Our even without fiddling if you use steam (you might wanna check out your potential games on Protondb.com)

D

Deleted User

OP
It seems to me that it mostly, if not exclusively depends on certain games you want to play. I mean... Denuvo isn't on all games (or even a majority), and only seldom leads to issues.
The popular opinion online is that it consumes lots of resources which hinders performance. With that said I haven't used any software containing Denuvo personally.

"the need to buy a copy of windows 10". Erm...I don't really get this one. I've always made my own PC from buying the components. It's slightly cheaper (I used my own version of windows) but not by a long shot. It's certainly less than a standalone windows version.
It costs $225 AUD, that's just over a third of the price of the Xbox One X. What exactly is your own version of Windows?

Also... Would Linux be an option? It takes some getting used to, but with some fiddling, quite some windows games work. Our even without fiddling if you use steam (you might wanna check out your potential games on Protondb.com)
If it can play the games I want to play without compromising on performance then fine.

Last edited by ,

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
The Xbox One X is a surprisingly good system. But, if you want something for the long haul, it's probably better to get a decent PC. Due to PC game sales, and the cost of Xbox Live Gold, you might recoup the extra price of building the PC, as well. lol @ buying windows 10. Deunvo isn't even that much of a problem anyway, either.

Reactions: Deleted User

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Xbox One X is a surprisingly good system. But, if you want something for the long haul, it's probably better to get a decent PC. Due to PC game sales, and the cost of Xbox Live Gold, you might recoup the extra price of building the PC, as well. lol @ buying windows 10. Denuvo isn't even that much of a problem anyway, either.
I get keys from Kinguin or whatever usually.

Reactions: thorasgar

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
They say XOX is really good performance wise for it's price. So if you need 'cheap' 4k, you know where to look. But it still a console, so kinda restrictive all-around, which can be a deal-breaker for some

AtsuNii

AtsuNii's New Beginnings
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It depends, seeing that the next gen of consoles will likely start appearing in 2ish years. The Xbox One will have a decrease then in games that will still be coming out. However it is optimised to run such games and is hell of a lot cheaper then a proper game PC. Likely if you go for the Xbox aswell to do things you can only do on a pc/laptop you will have to keep your laptop for it, altho most of the stress what might make it shit will be lifted of it.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
It depends on the games you want to play, are they any games you want to play on the Xbox which are not on the PC?

With a PC you do have the advantage that some Xbox games are playable on Windows 10, so could make a PC the better deal.

The Xbox One X offers a great 4K gaming experience considering the price point it retails for, sure a PC can in theory offer a better 4K gaming experience, however your going to be spending a lot more than you would on an Xbox One X to get comparable performance at 4K.

I was a PC gamer for many years, however I moved over to consoles with the 360 as consoles we're getting all the exclusives games I wanted to play.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
2019 is just around the corner and the new Xbox and PlayStation will likely be announced by then and even released on the same year, or the next one. Spending $600 on a pumped up version of Xbox One this late in the game isn't a wise call.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The popular opinion online is that it consumes lots of resources which hinders performance. With that said I haven't used any software containing Denuvo personally.
Here's a list of denuvo programs. It's pretty funny that they added "cracked or not" to the list. :P

It costs $225 AUD, that's just over a third of the price of the Xbox One X. What exactly is your own version of Windows?
Erm...I can't exactly say where I got my windows 10 (ultimate) version from, as it would get me banned from gbatemp.
Since about a month, I've installed a dual boot linux mint system (blog link). It works for me. But again, as it's important: FOR ME. I play mostly indies and older games...not exactly games you'd need a modern PC for.

If it can play the games I want to play without compromising on performance then fine.
Sorry, but I'll have to repeat myself here: check these games on protondb.com. I've just checked Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4...these currently won't work. So...it's probably not a real option for you. :(

vpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just get a PC.

Whilst Denuvo/DRM is bullshit, it rarely causes any issues nowdays.

As for the cost of windows, buy a key for next to nothing on ebay, just be careful and read seller feedback before purchasing.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lots of places to get Windows keys for $15-$30. Reddit, kinguin etc.

r/buildapcsales has an AU sub. If you are willing to go the rebate route and build over a period of a 2-3 months one can substantially reduce the cost of a PC. I haven’t bought a prebuilt PC in over 25 years.

With the right case a desktop can be somewhat mobile and moved to the TV for longer couch play sessions, or stream with a SteamLink or Nvidia Shield if you have wired Ethernet.

One also can consider that a gaming PC is a very capable PC so serves a dual purpose. I have enough unitaskers in my life as it is.

The cheaper cost of PC games over a 3-5 year time span should be figured in as well.

Last edited by thorasgar,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The popular opinion is wrong. Denuvo, when properly implemented (aka on nearly 99% of games that have it), has negligible performance impact, if any at all. At worst, games with Denuvo would benchmark 1-2FPS slower on average than a cracked version of the same game would, which is absolutely nothing in real world performance. The only reason this is continually spouted as "fact" is because of one particular game which had Denuvo implemented in an utterly retarded way.

Regarding the discussion, buy an Xbox One X if you want a mostly 4k capable gaming machine for "cheap", without requiring guides or knowledge on how to set it up correctly/fix it if something breaks, if you don't care about PC exclusives (which there are few worth mentioning), and if you like Microsoft's exclusive games.

Or build a gaming PC if you want complete control over your device and its hardware, mods, steam sales, free multiplayer, being more than just a gaming machine etc.

Beyond that, it's 100% preference.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd say get a new PC if you need to upgrade your PC for anything aside from gaming. If you don't, I'd suggest the console.

gg for promoting piracy. Purchasing software is for loser guys lol
Oh please, acting like most here haven't considered it or done it already, especially when it factors into a cost of a PC. Even then, you can just get Linux, which is free and still plays games too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1