XBOX Does not like SATA Adapters

CORE

3:16
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As Title States my XBOX does not work very well with SATA Adapters both a StarTech and Cheap Unbranded.

HDD is recieving Power and works like 1 out of 10 attempts to Boot really weird and F***ing Annoying!

Lists Random Partitions , Lists no Partitions , Works Fine Then does not F***Sake.

I have tried different Drives and IDE Cables and only likes without fail 320GB = 298000GB. Standard IDE PATA HDD I Installed Years ago.

XBOX 1.6
Xecuter 3CE with X3 Control Panel
Xecuter BIOS 3294

*HELP APPRECIATED THANKS*

Reactions: Alexander1970

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Are you using an 80 pin ribbon cable?
I know the xbox is picky when it comes to adapters, Kingwin and Sabrent boards seem to be favourable by the machine, it's very possible yours is just fucked.

Things you could try and do is prolonging the boot sequence of the machine, Have it try and load the dash from all sorts of locations before having the dash load from the correct one.
You should be able to configure that in the BIOS.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
As Title States my XBOX does not work very well with SATA Adapters both a StarTech and Cheap Unbranded.

HDD is recieving Power and works like 1 out of 10 attempts to Boot really weird and F***ing Annoying!

Lists Random Partitions , Lists no Partitions , Works Fine Then does not F***Sake.

I have tried different Drives and IDE Cables and only likes without fail 320GB = 298000GB. Standard IDE PATA HDD I Installed Years ago.

XBOX 1.6
Xecuter 3CE with X3 Control Panel
Xecuter BIOS 3294

*HELP APPRECIATED THANKS*

The Xbox doesn't like some SATA hard drives as well. Make sure your HDD is on the list.

I had trouble getting a decent adapter as well. I ended up investing in a Delock 62510, works flawlessly for me.

Also make sure to get a decent 80 pin IDE cable. I'm using this one (also on AliExpress).

CORE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the info @DinohScene , @pustal

I will check over my cables and adapters just a real bummer I used to have Xtender x3 Mod back in the day but when larger Drives started showing up I decided to undo it and just run a 320GB until I got round to adding a larger Drive.

It really weird it works one minute then it dont Partitions and HDD itself disappears as if not connected.

1TB New HDD Setup via Xecuter 3 CE it hit and miss Formatted ok can copy to E:\ and Boot from C: , E: then turn it off.

HDD not showing and obviously dash dont Boot so boots into x3 config live via modchip.

I noticed FTP really messed up to more than usual probably due to irratic HDD read/write?

Reactions: pustal

CORE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well just an Update 80Pin IDE Done the trick my old Xtender x5 connecters is 80Pin.

I had an older 40Pin in place like Stock so obviously a Data Bottleneck seemed to be the problem.

Thanks again for the help just need to fight with FTP now:whip:

Reactions: Alexander1970

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well just an Update 80Pin IDE Done the trick my old Xtender x5 connecters is 80Pin.

I had an older 40Pin in place like Stock so obviously a Data Bottleneck seemed to be the problem.

Thanks again for the help just need to fight with FTP now:whip:
Data wasn't bottlenecked. 100% sure.
If upgrading to the 80way(40pin) IDE cable worked it's because there's excess noise in the system causing a higher than acceptable amount of errors. I tend to find just routing the cable better is more than sufficient remediation.
Also don't bother to turn on the xbox without all of the shielding in place. That's just asking for problems haha.
It can also be a sign of capacitors that are running low efficiency (wouln't be terribly surprising) and are not filtering enough noise from the power, either way the 80way is a fix that may work for a long time, but won't likely fix the root cause.

There was a lot of mysticism surrounding the usage of standard 40 way IDE cables and there was one time where everybody said you needed an 80 way cable or your xbox wouldn't work and none of that has ever been true, but it's still echoed in perpetuity 😅 kind of like the hairdryer/q tips blocking the fans/bolt mod xbox 360 RROD fix.

Hope this helps :}

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
i know you say startech doesnt seem to work for you but i use this one in my xbox right now and its been working great

also your sata drive may just not be compatible in general

also as a post somewhat above also said there is indeed sometimes incompatibility with some sata drives

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water