XBOX controller setup ?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by pwsincd, Dec 16, 2012.

Dec 16, 2012

XBOX controller setup ? by pwsincd at 6:26 PM (418 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. pwsincd
    OP

Member pwsincd Garage Flower

United Kingdom
    I have been looking around , it seems to allow a wireless xbox360 controller to fuction on a PC i need the USB receiver thingy i have seen on amazon , now im really asking is this 100% necassary or is there mothods of running a wireless pad without the gizmo . Also is there any issues in fuctionality if i bought one of those things . Would a wired controller be a better purchase ?

2. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    If you have a 360 RF board, soldering iron (With solder.) and USB cable lying around you can make a wireless receiver for the PC. Otherwise not that I know of.
    Not that I know of.
    Yes, wired ones are plug and play. No need for charging, or need for new batteries.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Yes it is necessary save for the hack devin describes (still something of a pain)- the 360 wireless controller is a odd custom protocol rather than simple bluetooth or something like it.

Personally I would go for wired, that said I have a dislike of all things wireless so I am probably not the most impartial one here.

4. pwsincd
    OP

United Kingdom
    I have a wireless controller , so you'd suggest buying a wired pad over buying a wireless receiver ?

5. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Price wise a new controller and especially a second hand one seems to be similar enough to an adapter for me to consider a new controller really (an extra controller is always nice to have after all).

6. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    you can use xbox1 controllers or wired 360 controllers much more easily and they don't consume batteries.
    xbox1 controllers have programs to make them be seen by windows as a 360 controller for games like Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim and have all the buttons necessary except the home button also are easily converted to a standard usb port with a old usb cable and some splicing of wires.
    I've seen them at local thrift shops for around $3 USD.

7. pwsincd
    OP

United Kingdom
    xbox1 controllers you say , hmm i got an old box in the loft not sure i got the pads still but wint they special plugs ?

8. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Yeah they were custom plugs- however if you strip the outer casing and wire up like colours to that of a standard USB cable (yellow is unnecessary for standard controllers) you have yourself an original xbox USB controller.

Personally I get USB extensions and solder them to the breakaway sections of USB cables. If you buy yourself a cheap QD/poundland style extension you might have to figure out what wire is what as they have a nasty habit of using different colours to the USB standard.

9. Maverick Lunar X

Member Maverick Lunar X GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you happen to have a Dualshock 3 lying around, I use that with the motioninjoy drivers. they will emulate 360 controller inputs for those games that are designed with it in mind, like just about every GFWL game.