Hardware XBOX controller setup ?

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
I have been looking around , it seems to allow a wireless xbox360 controller to fuction on a PC i need the USB receiver thingy i have seen on amazon , now im really asking is this 100% necassary or is there mothods of running a wireless pad without the gizmo . Also is there any issues in fuctionality if i bought one of those things . Would a wired controller be a better purchase ?

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a 360 RF board, soldering iron (With solder.) and USB cable lying around you can make a wireless receiver for the PC. Otherwise not that I know of.
Not that I know of.
Yes, wired ones are plug and play. No need for charging, or need for new batteries.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes it is necessary save for the hack devin describes (still something of a pain)- the 360 wireless controller is a odd custom protocol rather than simple bluetooth or something like it.

Personally I would go for wired, that said I have a dislike of all things wireless so I am probably not the most impartial one here.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Price wise a new controller and especially a second hand one seems to be similar enough to an adapter for me to consider a new controller really (an extra controller is always nice to have after all).

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can use xbox1 controllers or wired 360 controllers much more easily and they don't consume batteries.
xbox1 controllers have programs to make them be seen by windows as a 360 controller for games like Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim and have all the buttons necessary except the home button also are easily converted to a standard usb port with a old usb cable and some splicing of wires.
I've seen them at local thrift shops for around $3 USD.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah they were custom plugs- however if you strip the outer casing and wire up like colours to that of a standard USB cable (yellow is unnecessary for standard controllers) you have yourself an original xbox USB controller.

Personally I get USB extensions and solder them to the breakaway sections of USB cables. If you buy yourself a cheap QD/poundland style extension you might have to figure out what wire is what as they have a nasty habit of using different colours to the USB standard.

Maverick Lunar X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you happen to have a Dualshock 3 lying around, I use that with the motioninjoy drivers. they will emulate 360 controller inputs for those games that are designed with it in mind, like just about every GFWL game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: