Xbox 360 Getting New Disc Format, Testers Wanted

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Fudge, Mar 30, 2011.

Mar 30, 2011
  1. Fudge
    OP

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    Source: 1UP

In addition to this there is also a dashboard beta test sign up. I'm pretty sure you sign up for both. US only BTW. You can sign up here

2. Cloak519

Member Cloak519 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Wow. I do actually wonder what's going on there. Why are my 'Microsoft's Evil Plan' senses tingling?

3. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Just signed up. Thanks for this.

4. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    Neat. Signed up. I also signed up for the Xbox Live Xperts thing, and got accepted, so maybe I have a better chance at this too. Who knows...

5. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    1up doesn't give any source for this "new disc format" thing and the linked to MS page says nothing about it.

6. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    I signed up as well. [​IMG] Thanks for the news Fudge.

7. Nebz

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    Signed up for it. Strangely, after finishing it tells me it's pending (like it should) but when I check the Dashboard on the site there's no trace of this....
    I'll just keep the "Thank You for registering!" page with my pending status bookmarked [​IMG]

8. SPH73

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States

Basically this. Provide a link to this or I'm calling foul on the whole article.

9. Nebz

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    http://majornelson.com/2011/03/29/xbox-360...update-preview/

If you own an Xbox 360 and have LIVE, you should know who Major Nelson is and of his blog....

10. SPH73

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    I'm still calling foul. Why didn't the Op link to the original 1up.com article? Obviously that's the source he claims, not Major Nelson.

Also... Why doesn't the official MS page say anything about this "new disc format?"

http://connect.microsoft.com/xboxliveupdate

Yeah, this whole topic smells fishy.

edit: "*Due to disc distribution limitations, this beta it will be limited to residents of the United States only."

From the Major Nelson page. Obviously he's implying new system software on a disc and not a new disc format for the Xbox 360.

11. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    Signed up, but I keep getting some kind of tech error when I log-in to verify through email... [​IMG]

12. Nebz

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    Foul on what? It's likely the OP originally read it on 1UP and not anywhere else, no?

I've done enough of these preview programs to tell you whatever you read on Major Nelson's blog is the truth and that there is no B.S. in between from what I've experienced.
    *shrugs* You don't have to sign up if you don't want to... I'm not gonna stop you.

13. SkankyYankee

Member SkankyYankee GBAtemp Advanced Skank

United States
    My guess is they're trying to make a different format that will hinder people from modding their boxes and playing backups by making it impossible to play higher wave games after they are patched. I don't know how successful they will be though.

14. SPH73

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    It would have to work with the millions of Xbox 360 consoles already in homes and in stores. They're not going to split their own market by doing something like creating a system with a new optical format, as the title of this topic implies.

Really, there should be some standard of quality when it comes to user submitted news.

15. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Bingo. My XBOX 360 is legit anyway so it doesn't affect me. ^__^

16. Nebz

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    I still don't see a problem here. OP got his information from another site which provided the same info as Major Nelson's blogthat was slightly off on what they're saying. I'm not dealing with anything since there is no foul done. It's a preview program... You either sign up or you don't and there's nothing wrong or bad about it.

I am happy to announce that we’re doing an Xbox 360 System Update Preview program for our next release, and the opportunity to sign up is now available. We are conducting an open call for US based participants* for a public preview to help us prepare for an updated Xbox 360 disc format. This is an important update as we continually strive to improve our products and we could not do so without the help of our great Xbox community. As part of the preview program, you will receive a copy of Halo: Reach along with other possible rewards.[/p]
    The wording is actually on point but I still don't see a problem....

17. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Why would you cry foul over something so innocuous?

18. SPH73

Banned SPH73 Banned

United States
    You're wrong on both counts.

First, the OP (or you) should have linked to the original 1up.com article if he claims that is his source.

Second, you're deliberately taking Nelson's words out of context, when if you read his entire article he's actually talking about beta software on a disc, and not a new optical format for the 360 as this topic implies.

Most people click on this link and think "blu ray?" Which is probably the intention of the OP. However as someone already pointed out, this is probably an attempt to stave off piracy by releasing a new type of DVD which already works with current systems. Hence the line "Beta software on a disc."

So yeah, just to be clear, my problem is this topic is deliberately misleading. And I think there should be some standard of quality when it comes to user submitted news. Linking the original source is the number one rule.

As for the program I've already signed up. I own 2 360s, one modded and one legit, so it will be interesting to see what they're doing.

19. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    I don't own a 360, but I've been hearing a lot about bad discs lately from friends who have old/original 360s. My guess, knowing admittedly little about the 360, is this program would be a new pressing method that would hopefully work on all versions of the 360.

Adding new Antipiracy measures would be extremely difficult given that everything must be backwards compatible with old games.

20. Nebz

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    No I'm not taking it out of context. I read what Major Nelson's entire entry said and there's no problem here. OP had "prepare for an upgraded Xbox 360 disc format" in his post... I can't say it's his fault if one takes it out of context but then again I do AGREE that OP should of had a source, like he's supposed to, in his post to make it more clear or else people will be clicking blindly toward a random users link (which is likely what they did).

Is that what you were getting at?

EDIT: I think I see what you mean... I'll just back off. I thought you were making it seem like this entire thing was just not trusted when you judged "foul".