X-COM: Enemy Unknown Remake by Firaxis for PC/X360/PS3

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by IBNobody, Jan 6, 2012.

1. IBNobody
    OP

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    http://www.firaxis.c...l.php?gameid=81

Finally, a qualified studio has picked up the rights to do a proper X-COM remake. They've yet to say that it's turn-based, though, or if it will have a Blaster Launcher. This is a separate project from the "XCOM FPS".

2. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    XCOM... gaaaaaaaaaaaaahh....

too bad it's not on a Nintendo. but at least i got a PC. i can still get some love for this. (Nintendo needs to get more 4X love though)

3. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    This statement sounds akin to:

HAMBURGERS, AWWW YEAH!

Too bad they don't serve them in yoghurt form...

Nintendo just "doesn't license" games like that on their systems, at least not as of today.

4. IcebergMM

Newcomer IcebergMM Member

United States
    Because the last Civilization game on consoles wasn't on the DS as well, right?

5. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Please don't mix Civilization series with X-Com, it's like mixing gunpowder with lithium while sitting on an inflatable raft in the middle of the sea. They're nothing alike.

6. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    But this new XCom game is being made by a Sid Meier studio.

7. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    So we're to assume that a house built by a baker will be a gingerbread house?

8. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    YEEEEEEEEES.

PLEASE DON'T MESS IT UP. PLEASE.

I was going to replay it for the 40th time some days ago :rofl:

Firaxis is an AWESOME studio (they made Alpha Centauri) so it's probably in good hands ;)

9. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    That's not the point. I was referring to IcebergMM's point about one of their previous games being on the DS (the fact it's a Civ game is irrelevant). They have control over which systems they're going to be released on, and they already decided on releasing the game on platforms that don't have mouse control this time around. Besides, Ghost Recon Shadow Wars was made by some of the people from the original X-Com team, and that worked fine on the 3DS.

10. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    I suppose you're right, nevertheles, I find it hard to imagine an X-Com game on the DS/3DS for some reason. Perhaps because they tended to be so *bloody hard* and thus would appeal to but a fraction of Nintendo's userbase.

From the very beginning, X-Com was a series of games that weren't afraid to stomp on your balls and scream into your ear that you suck on the very first mission and regardless whether or not you played any previous installments and I never mustered the courage and patience to actually play it a whole lot. I can't think of any games Nintendo would release that are like that - it's not even a Castlevania level of difficulty, it's not Ninja Gaiden, it's just unforgiving at times.

I always connect it more with the "PC" - with sitting in your comfy chair, re-loading time and time again and strategising.

11. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Why do so many topics about non-Nintendo games end up on "IT SHOULD BE ON A NINTENDO CONSOLE" at one point or another?

It's a fucking PC game, it's not coming to ANY console most likely. Next thing you know people will bawww when Starcraft 3 is announced and its not coming to consoles. BAWWW WHY ISN'T IT ON THE 3DS/WII U THEY HAVE TOUCH CONTROLS SO THAT TOTALLY COMPENSATES FOR EVERYTHING.

EDIT: As for the topic, I have a friend who really likes X-COM and was rather upset when they said their next game was a FPS. This should brighten his spirits.

1 person likes this.
  12. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I'm probably not going to ever play it (I'm not a big fan of strategy games), but it's nice to see that there's going to be a much more faithful remake for the fans.

Though the existence of this game makes the FPS all the more baffling; at this point, they should just go ahead and drop the X-COM from the title. It could very well be a great game on its own, but there is no way it will survive the crushing expectations of the fans.

13. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    ...The announcement states that it's coming to 360 and PS3.

14. IBNobody
    OP

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    I'm not expecting it to live up to the first game. I am expecting it to be a decent turn-based, squad-based tactical game with opportunity fire, destructible environments, and blaster launchers.

FYI: Someone is also making an X-COM browser based game.http://ufo-online.gamigo.com/ No clue if it has blaster launchers.

15. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Oh, then why the fuck would they take time downporting it to the 3DS? It ain't that powerful folks.

1 person likes this.
  16. AceWarhead

Member AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

United States
    It'll probably end up like MGS3D if it ever happens.

17. Guild McCommunist

United States
    Well MGS3 is somewhat reasonable given that people compare the 3DS to almost "Gamecube" type of power and MGS3 was a PS2 game. The X-COM remake is for HD consoles so downporting it would result in a lazy downport rather than a lazy remake... Well, it'd be a lazy downport of a remake.

18. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    lol. you forgetting Jagged Alliance? a very, very unlikely port that somehow miraculously pushed through.
    lol, everybody's aflame at the mere mention of Nintendo. i laugh, hard.

anyways, if you're talking about the difficulty, there's tons of games on the DS that weren't afraid to stomp your balls. Shiren the Wanderer is notorious for making you lose ALL on a single mistake. Every move you make on that game is like a bet on a roll--lose and you lose it all. so yeah, even the DS had balls enough for a Roguelike that's not watered down.

as to the PC game argument: Jagged Alliance was a PC game. it was difficult as hell. it was also squad based, like X-COM. it was a game that was around almost as long as X-COM was. yet it was ported successfully to the DS.

so... why not? X-COM's not about graphics in the first place, folks. it's a fucking turn-based game. whatever power it needs to process, it can do that while you're waiting for your turn to come up.

anyways, i brought it up because i adore CivRev on the DS, and I certainly adore Ghost Recon Shadow Wars. heck, they could just modify Ghost Recon a bit and it's X-COM already. a squad-based, turn-based tactical strategy game. but Ghost Recon doesn't have the "empire management" parts so, they'll need to add that in.

oh yeah, i'm mixing CIvRev and X-Com because they're both 4X games. all other objections on this part is moot.