Gaming would NTSC Wii work on PAL TV?

BumFace

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
my mum is going to Canada and i asked her to buy a Wii if possible because it saves me loads of money and more games come out earlier too.
So the thing is would a NTSC Wii works on a PAL TV?
unsure.gif

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Don't think so, because Wii display output is SD.
I don't know if Wii machine has the capability to translate between PAL/NTSC formats, but otherwise you need to stick with a console that matches your TV format.

Also some games for PS2 had the option of letting you choose which format to output, so the game would work for different format TVs. So in PS2 case NTSC/PAL compatibility was mostly game-specific.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Will work fine , most pal tv will take a ntsc signal fine , at worst you might need to pick up a rgb scart to bring it in colour.

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I would say check your TV. If its quite new and a reasonably decent brand (like say Sony or Panasonic and under 10 years old!) then high chance it is switchable between PAL/NTSC and AUTO. Well at least they are in my part of the world. Check the user manual if its around.

krazykirk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you try to use a NTSC wii on a PAL tv half the screen will get chopped off and it will appear in black and white. If your TV is reasonably new, you may be able to switch the signal to NTSC mode. But this will mean you need to switch it every time you want to play your wii/watch tv.

Also, some VCRs and DVD/HDD recorders can convert a NTSC signal to PAL, like mine does for Japanese Wii Fit.

Most of the video display modes depend on the game though. If you managed to get a PAL game to work on NTSC through a chip, then the video will be put through as PAL as it is encoded in PAL.

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
As stated by Armadillo, most PAL TVs take and display NTSC signals perfectly fine. If you ever played a game in PAL 60 Hz and it worked it's very likely that NTSC will work fine too, without changing any settings.

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
krazykirk said:
If you try to use a NTSC wii on a PAL tv half the screen will get chopped off and it will appear in black and white. If your TV is reasonably new, you may be able to switch the signal to NTSC mode. But this will mean you need to switch it every time you want to play your wii/watch tv.

Also, some VCRs and DVD/HDD recorders can convert a NTSC signal to PAL, like mine does for Japanese Wii Fit.

Most of the video display modes depend on the game though. If you managed to get a PAL game to work on NTSC through a chip, then the video will be put through as PAL as it is encoded in PAL.
Most newer TVs have an auto switch behind the front panel or changeable through the remote - all mine certainly do (sony and panasonic) . My TV is primarily PAL and my wii is NTSC - plays just fine.

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
theclaw said:
Yes. Most new PAL TVs handle NTSC fine.

However... Most NTSC TVs have partial, if any, PAL support. As I said before, I've never seen proof any TV sold in the continental USA accepts 576i/p or 50hz input.

The OP has a PAL TV however and is questioning whether a NTSC Wii would work on it - not the other way around. So should be OK in this instance.

mojario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i guess it depends how old you tv is.. as someone said if its under 10 years you should be fine.
most tvs these days will auto switch.

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
dragon_boy_y3k said:
my mum is going to Canada and i asked her to buy a Wii if possible because it saves me loads of money and more games come out earlier too.
So the thing is would a NTSC Wii works on a PAL TV?
unsure.gif
No, the reason it doesn't support it, is only because of region locking
If it would just work they could just not use it and have pal all around the world

Lefty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
A friend of mine bought his Wii in the USA and it works perfectly on his PAL TV in germany, there is no problem at all...Worst thing that can happen is the colour
problem but in that case just get a good RGB cable (what you should do anyway).

narnia22

Trophies
XP
Country
um ive got a SONY old tv which was bought between 1992-1995 and it only have one port (coaxial cable post).and there is a cover in the front of the TV and there is a knob that can rotate between 2 values
1 is "PAL "
and the other one is "AUTO"
im going to buy a NTSC wii US
.so how do i connect the wii to this TV what gadgets do i need .and will it have colors because of the knob thingy.and how to connect to the coax cable.
guys please help.oh and im not planing on spending on expensive items.please helpz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021