Worth Getting Dragon Quest Builders?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Skeet1983, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Skeet1983
    OP

Skeet1983 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 22, 2012
    United States
    Somewhere, out there...
    Hi guys. I have about $50 to spend on Switch games. I can get 1 game (Dragon Quest Builders), or several other games such as Celeste and Steam Dig World. Is Dragon Quest Builders worth getting? I like Dragon Quest games, but the ones that are traditional RPGs. Thoughts and help greatly appreciated :)

2. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    I have played the ps4 version and found it to be a rather interesting game. Its basically a combination of minecraft and dragon Quest with a side order of secret of mana lol.

3. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Dragon Quest Builders has a Demo... try it out and see if you like it.

DarthDub, Owenge, Sinon and 2 others like this.
  4. Frexxos

Frexxos GBAtemp Regular

Apr 27, 2015
    Germany
    I personally love the Dragon Quest Series as the rpg games. But Dragon Quest Builders is different. It is a mix of open level building with no deep story (in my opinion)

Please check out the demo! And look for youtube reviews. They are other games which I would buy.

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  5. shango46

shango46 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Canada
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    I played it for PS4 and absolutely loved it! Can't wait for the 2nd one to come out. If you like Minecraft in the slightest, try this game out!

6. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    I have Builders for the Vita. It's very much a fun game, though with it being in the same realm of Minecraft, relies heavily on your creativity as it doesn't hold your hand in this department. I'd say I agree with Issac. Get the demo, try it out and then make your decision. Either way, your choices aren't bad. You'll have fun with either one.

7. Aldrich

Aldrich Member

Newcomer
    Jun 25, 2017
    United States
    Firstly, give the demo a chance--it's there for that very reason and only takes a few minutes to download. You'll get the opening area to explore and learn the gist of the game's finer points. If you're clever, you may even find your first dragon taking a snooze by the coast.

As for Builders in general, it's well worth the price in my opinion. Think of it as a more refined, polished take on the minecraft formula, only with an actual story, characters to interact with, monster variety, and a beautiful Sugiyama sound track to listen to. Plus with the switch version you get a sabertooth kitten to ride around on, and what more could anyone ask for?

8. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend Luminary of Illustrious Colors

pip Member
    GBAtemp Patron
    HaloEliteLegend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    If I was you, I think I'd go the route of buying a couple smaller games. I like some variety in my library. Try the DQ Builders demo, I think you'll be able to make an informed decision from that.

9. Deathscreton

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    Fucking what. I didn't know the Switch got a mount. Are mounts spread throughout the game?

10. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    I really enjoyed it on PS4 and the Switch demo seems to be a great port, at least from what I played of the eshop demo.

11. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I tried the demo, I'm a bit impressed how long i spent on it, I may pick up as a discount game. :)

12. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Addict

Nov 11, 2013
    Dunno, I personally would get something else. Like Overcooked ;D

13. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I'd get it on physical while you can. I have a feeling there might be a limited number of copies.

Other than the collector aspect, the game is fun.

14. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    only if you like mincecraft otherwise don't bother.

15. Classicgamer

Classicgamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2012
    United States
    If you like to play the original Dragon Warrior games every few years you will love it! DQ Builders feels very much like a 3D Dragon Warrior NES game. I never played Minecraft and am hooked from my DW history. The demo had me hooked from start to finish.

16. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 2, 2013
    United States
    Seinegald
    DQB is extremely fun no matter what genre you are into.
    you will love DQB.

Classicgamer likes this.
  17. Rudy69

Rudy69 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2006
    Canada
    Personally I love the DQ series but I didn’t really care for the builder games

18. Deathscreton

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    I'd love to see Dragon Warrior Monsters. They remade Terry's Journey on the 3DS in the Japanese region. A new one for the switch taking full control of it's potential would be awesome.

19. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    Just a heads-up, the demo data will not transfer to the full game.

20. Flirkyn

Flirkyn GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    France
    I bought it on digital (there was a problem with stock because of snow in France). I really like it but be aware of some things. You start each chapter from 0(you keep the plans but don't keep items/hp and you start at a new city), the battle system is meh, construction area are pretty little and control can be a little clunky sometime.
    But aside of that it's really addictive and fun if you like the concept. Try the demo :)
    Oh also you don't have two player mode but you can share your construction in free mode