Wood R4 and THE MENU

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by rarestg, Apr 16, 2010.

Apr 16, 2010

Wood R4 and THE MENU by rarestg at 9:59 PM (2,258 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. rarestg

Newcomer rarestg Newbie

Apr 25, 2008
    Hey Guys,
    I have an N5, and the Wood Firmware for clones is working great. But I want to spice things up a little bit - instead of booting it from wood.nds.
    I was just wondering how to get the wood firmware (wood.nds) to boot from the "Game" button on the N5 Menu.

^^From There^^

I know I've seen some tutorial for how to do this for YSmenu, but I can't find it anymore. ;(
    I think it has something to do with _DS_MENU.DAT or something.
    So, please reply if you have an answer -- I'm really hoping to get this to work.

2. Halo-101

Member Halo-101 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 20, 2010
    United States
    Hey i dont have a clone but to my understanding u need to rename to _DS_MNSHL.NDS Or something like that and then launch it from the middle button which i think is media then wood r4 should automatically boot up. from the middle button not from the game button [​IMG]
  3. neonix

Member neonix GBAtemp Regular

Sep 3, 2007
    United States
    You won't be able to get it to boot from the left icon, however, you can get it to boot from the middle icon by naming it "_DS_MSHL.NDS" and putting it in the ROOT (top, no folders) of your microSD. You should already have a file with that name actually, by default moonshell (hence the MSHL in the filename). It's fine to overwrite, but I would suggest renaming the original first (maybe just moonshell.nds so you can still boot it from the card).

The "_DS_MENU.DAT" file is the actual firmware. There is an encrypter/decrypter app I've used in the past to convert any .NDS rom into a bootable .DAT binary for the R4 and vice-versa. However, the Wood firmware for R4 already comes encrypted as _DS_MENU.DAT so that it boots directly when you start up the DS, and I don't think this is the effect you want anyway.

So _DS_MSHL.NDS is your best option. If you don't use moonshell, then you're good to go!