Hardware Wiping a BIOS

pokemoner2500

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have an old Dell Dimension 5150 so I decided to get a new CPU for it. Picked up a Intel Core2Duo 6700 for a few bucks on Ebay and put it in the computer. I made sure the socket size and chipset were the same which they were. I turned it on but the power light stayed orange, meaning something was wrong. Now doing a bit more research I learned that Dell modifies the BIOS to not allow many CPU upgrades, so I was wondering if it was possible to wipe the BIOS so I could use the CPU. My computer's motherboard specs and such will be in a spoiler below.

Processor (CPU)
CPU Name
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz
Threading
1 CPU - 2 Core - 2 Thread
Frequency
2659.6 MHz (20 * 132.98 MHz)
Multiplier
Current: 20 / Min: 14 / Max: 20
Architecture
SmithField / B0-Step (90 nm)
Cpuid / Ext.
F.4.7 / F.4
IA Extensions
MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T
Caches
L1D : 16 KB / L2 : 1024 KB
Caches Assoc.
L1D : 8-way / L2 : 8-way
Microcode
Rev. 0x000003
Type
Retail (Original Frequency : 2666 MHz)
Motherboard
Model
Dell 0HJ054
Socket
Socket 775 LGA
North Bridge
Intel i945P/PL/G/GZ rev A2
South Bridge
Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) rev A1
BIOS
Dell Inc. A05 (03/31/2006)
Memory (RAM)
Total Size
3072 MB
Type
Dual Channel (128 bit) DDR2-SDRAM
Frequency
199.5 MHz - Ratio 2:3
Timings
4-4-4-12-16 (tCAS-tRC-tRP-tRAS-tCS)
Slot #1 Module
Nanya Technology 512 MB (DDR2-537)
Slot #2 Module
Micron Technology 1024 MB (DDR2-537)
Slot #3 Module
Nanya Technology 512 MB (DDR2-537)
Slot #4 Module
Micron Technology 1024 MB (DDR2-537)
Graphic Card (GPU)
GPU #1 Type
Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
GPU #1 Brand
0x196E (0x104A)
DirectX
Storage (HDD/SSD)
Model #1
Maxtor 6L300S0
Capacity #1
300 GB
Miscellaneous
Windows Version
Microsoft Windows 7 (6.1) Home Premium Edition 64-bit
Windows Subver.
Service Pack 1 (Build 7601
CPU-Z Version
1.74.0 (64 bit)

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
Yank the battery and turn it on. Turn it back off and put the battery back in and the CMOS should clear.
There's jumpers for this too, but that'd mean getting out the torch lol

Edit: NVM, read your post better the second time around.
You could maybe check for a bios update, most companies at least push a bios update out for newer cpus. Wiping a bios isn't a thing you'd be wanting though. Back in the day we used to pull EEPROMs from one board and reflash them or just stick them in a different board no probs but these days things aren't so simple.

Last edited by ody81,

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Never wipe a BIOS - that would render the motherboard inoperable (at least without a kit to flash a new BIOS directly to the chip). Either flash an updated BIOS (updates tend to include stability fixes or allows newer compatible processors to be used) from the OEM, or find a custom BIOS to flash onto it.

Also remember that any time you update BIOS, you always run the risk of corrupting it and making it inoperable. The general rule of thumb is if you don't need it (either because the computer is unstable or you need one of the CPUs supported in a future BIOS update), don't try to update BIOS (the risks aren't generally worth it). Always read the update notes for any updated BIOS to see if it has some feature or update you need.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"I learned that Dell modifies the BIOS to not allow many CPU upgrades"

Dell quite often uses custom motherboards and bioses for them and neglects to update them as much as the similar designs out in the consumer market, I have not heard of them explicitly modifying them to prevent things though. I suppose in the end it is much the same thing from the perspective of the end user.

Anyway you will need to find a BIOS update/version compatible with your motherboard and flash that, Dell did provide one for that model but it does not look like it changed supported CPUs ( http://www.dell.com/support/home/us...dimension-5150x&languageCode=EN&categoryId=BI ). Sometimes the BIOSes get hacked, sometimes they can be cross flashed with those from similar boards (it is not quite as bad as graphics cards but most of the time companies will use very similar designs to reference designs) and most of the time it is not worth the hassle and people just buy another motherboard that is not suffering a lack of OEM upgrades and use that instead -- there are some projects to make open source BIOSes ( http://blogs.coreboot.org/about/ ) but the proper hacking stuff tends to be reserved for either very small machines that have nice form factors or more likely big servers and workstations and such things, not an ancient desktop that was middle of the road when it hit ( http://www.engadget.com/products/dell/dimension/5150/specs/ says 512 RAM and a P4, I do not recall many otherwise LGA775 motherboards that started life as P4 boards getting BIOS upgrades).

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From what I have read you should be able to upgrade to a Pentium D-945, D-960 or a D-970. You should also be able to swap out the motherboard with one from a Dimension E520, but it may (according to online reports) require modifications to the heatsink and possibly the I/O shield. Also the motherboard has no IDE connectors only SATA. This is a list of compatible CPU's :-

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19426117/20007496#20007496

Last edited by ILuvGames,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
wiping the bios would make your computer turn in a big pile of scrap electronics...
it's the equivalent of erasing someones brain to the point it doesn't know you need to breath air.. or doesn't know how to make your hearth beat...

if thats true, about dells preventing you from upgrading your cpu, you need a custom bios... you need someone or knowledge on how to make it accept other cpus, which is kinda a challenge..
with the "right bios" you can make your computer to start a fire and burn your house down

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That thing originally shipped with a pentium 4, the problem is the chipset doesnt proper compability
And the bios havnt been updated in forever
Lga775 was used for pretty much every intel p4, c2d, and c2q cpu, and every single revision which needed new chipsets

from what I can tell those are custom made boards made by foxconn for dell

Last edited by Joe88,

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
wiping the complete bios ruins your motherboard, wiping the settings though might do you something when it's password protected.
1. remove the batteries (the one on your mobo, and if available the one of your notebook)
2. remove the suply power
3. turn pc on (it fails)
4. wait 30 seconds.
5. plug all batteries back in (first the motherboard one)
6. plug the suply power back in.
7. start the pc and your password should be gone.

dangerous! warranty will be void if you'll do the next steps, and it might break a motherboard!

for the non upgradable motherboards of dell or any other complete package brand:
1. look at the motherboard itself for name and model info.
2. look for bios upgrade for this model (not by the package brand).
3. install this but be carefull to read and follow all steps given by this upgrade.
now you shold be able to use upgrade parts.

not all motherboards can handle new line processors, even if the socket is right! so check your motherboards specifications first

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Off-topic, but information:

I used to make motherboards from scratch, and all brands, no matter the PCB for what hardware, PC, PS3, PS4, 360, One, etc are all made in one plant, with different layer recipes and copper thicknesses in them. The company was called Merix corpration in 2008, but since got bought out, and I was layed-off. The company heavily relied on securing contracts from Foxconn and the military, as well as NASA, IBM, and the medical industry to stay afloat.

My job there was so easy too. For $11.30 an hour, I sat my ass on a barstool with my headphones on, and fed the shiny copper layers through a 12-stage chemical bath. Some of them were acids, to instantly turn the copper brown and etch micro-textures into it's surface for the prepreg to melt into it, and make a good sandwiched seal when in the heat presses. The last thing you want is your board peeling apart in layers.

Some boards could have hundreds of layers of copper, circuitry, and prepreg, making them very thick and heavy. A lot of it was very redundant, but helps keep the board's vibrations to a minimum. It was a fun and informative job while it lasted, I enjoyed it very much.

Last edited by Jayro,
Reactions: raystriker

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night