Windows won't boot , Constant Loop or Black screen

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by BlackWizzard17, Sep 30, 2014.

1. BlackWizzard17
    OP

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    So my friend is using a pretty old laptop i guess which is a Dell laptop (btw i hate Dell) that she got for free from some program. So every time i start up windows 8 on the computer it seems to constantly boot "windows preparing automatic repair" than a black screen occurs. I have tried booting Windows 8 from the CD/DVD drive but all it does is show the Windows 8 logo than reboots all over. This computer is a Dell latitude e5410, and even though she wants to upgrade to a new computer she uses this for certain college classes and i need help trying to figure out what i can do to boot windpws normally.
    So whats going on:
    • Wont boot windows normally( constant loop to black screen)
    • Wont boot from CD/DVD drive
    • Wont boot from a bootable flash drive
    If you are wondering how this got like this than honestly speaking i dont know how this could have happened, the power wire came off and the computer shut down and bam this problem happened.

Edit: Just in case this help i should be able to boot stuff from uefi boot.
    EDIT: problem Solved

2. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Québec
    I'd say its a RAM problem, take all the RAM out and put them one by one till the computer craps out again.

BlackWizzard17 likes this.
  3. BlackWizzard17
    OP

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Thanks for the fast response, will try and see but should i try booting normally or through a try through the Windows installation disc?

4. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Québec

Boot normally first and if it doesn't work, try booting from the installation disc.

5. BlackWizzard17
    OP

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Ok will try right now.

6. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    If you can boot the computer past the BIOS, perhaps try entering the BIOS first. After hitting the power button, mash the F8 key and you should get to the BIOS to be able to configure other boot options (Such as USB or DVD).

7. BlackWizzard17
    OP

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    i am able to boot to the BIOS and select which order i want to boot each option such as USB or DVD.

8. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Change it so that either USB or DVD have priority over the disc drive, then try booting from either of those. If anything, grab a Ubuntu ISO and burn it on a secondary computer, and try booting from that - It works as a live CD. Be sure to try it first so that you're not making any permanent changes to the laptop.

Also, take this from personal experience, but DO NOT toggle UEFI/Legacy BIOS settings under any conditions. If anything, it'll just break the computer even more and completely lock you out of the Windows OS since it's currently configured under UEFI as you mentioned.

9. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    It could also be a power or temperature issue.

10. BlackWizzard17
    OP

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Thanks for the support. It turns out like emmanu888 said it was a RAM problem and i was able to get it to run, thanks again:grog: