Windows Laptop fast enough to run Sonic Generations and DOA5LR at 60fps?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by lonzodavis, Mar 26, 2016.

1. lonzodavis
    OP

lonzodavis GBAtemp Regular

Aug 24, 2015
    United States
    Im thinking of getting a new laptop soon and im not so tech savy so idk which laptop to get to run Sonic Generations and Dead or Alive 5 Last Round at 60fps. Must be a Windows i dont know how to use the os. If possable a laptop that wont overheat, but knowing itll be expensive, a laptop that at least wont overheat as much during long hours gameplay. If you can help me with this, I would be grateful. Thanks.

2. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Look into Alienware and MSI brands. They're not not cheap, but are focused on gaming and come with Windows os.

3. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    I don't follow much of the laptop market, but a laptop with a 750ti equivalent should be fine enough for those games.
    As for the CPU, maybe an i3? but that may be pushing it, an i5 just to play it safe.

You're probably going to be spending around $500 or so.

4. lonzodavis
    OP

Aug 24, 2015
    United States
    Oh no, I don't have the 500 or more right now for a laptop, or gaming laptop which seems I would need I this case. My budget atm is between 250-350 but I suppose I can save up more the net month or so and buy one around 500 or so.

5. Supster131

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    For those games, you can probably squeeze them in for $350. If it were a desktop PC, then yeah, definitely.
    Since you want a laptop though, I'm not too sure. You may be able to run those games at medium settings with a laptop at that price.

6. Margen67

Margen67 Dirty entited pirate

Banned
    Nov 3, 2014
    United States
    Maybe for laptops, but if you want a desktop you should build it yourself.
    Alienware desktops are overpriced.

nero99 likes this.
  7. lonzodavis
    OP

Aug 24, 2015
    United States
    Medium settings would mean not at 60fps Im assuming right?

8. Supster131

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    It can still be 60fps, you'd just need to bump down the graphical setting a bit, so the graphics won't look as good.

9. lonzodavis
    OP

Aug 24, 2015
    United States
    Graphics wont matter to me, but I guess id still need a graphics card like Nvida or something? Since intel hd graphics isn't as good or that should be fine?

10. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    For gaming, dedicated is the way to go. I have an MSI laptop myself, but I spent a lot on it. It handles a lot though, and even GTA V runs quite decently at medium to high settings.

It wouldn't help to say that I spent roughly $1200 on it though. Totally worth it if you can't have a desktop.

Last edited by loco365, Mar 27, 2016
  11. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    First, what's your budget, and what brands do you like/trust?

12. Supster131

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer

13. lonzodavis
    OP

Aug 24, 2015
    United States
    Id prefer a Dell PC. Not sure Im looking for an Alienware though. Would a XPS laptop do or something similar? Than again I don't think those laptops go for around 350 the most.

14. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    With your budget, you'd be better off building your own desktop computer for gaming. You get to choose what you want in it anD all that fun stuff. If you can, make one that supports newer quad core and cpu, 8gb or more ram, and amd based. Amd is more towers the gaming area, Intel is more of a business type.

15. raystriker

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    Its true, $500 wont get you a laptop good enough to run those games. You might be able to build pc though...
    If you're adamant enough for the lappy, I suggest you save a little more and get something like this-
    http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-cx62-6qd-047us.html

If you decide on a pc, i'd be more than happy to help ya deciding the rig's specs.

16. lonzodavis
    OP

Aug 24, 2015
    United States
    I still want a laptop. It looks like I should continue saving at this point.
    Is MSI any good? I kinda like how their laptops look. If im gonna spend the money for it, Itll have to had a backlight keyboard, cant game without that.

17. GuyInDogSuit

GuyInDogSuit I ain't your pa.

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    Antelope, CA
    Alienware or ASUS Republic of Gamers. Most laptops have cheap, crap integrated graphics that suck.

18. raystriker

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    Yeah MSI's good. Don't worry, you can usually customize the shit of these.
    So yeah, save for a while, 700 bucks should see you gaming Sonic Generations and the other game at 60 fps on the move.

19. lonzodavis
    OP

Aug 24, 2015
    United States
    Will do. I believe this helped me decide what laptop to get and at least save a few more hundred to go for a gaming laptop. Thanks!

raystriker likes this.
  20. LarBob

LarBob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 29, 2013
    United States
    I would never recommend Alienware. VERY overpriced and are not made well at all.